All opinions and reviews gratefully received

Reactions: 2 people

izzyj09

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hiya,
I'm currently on the animas vibe and it's driving me insane, so I'm about to change pumps onto the Medtronic 640. I did lots and lots of research and the accu check ones are the ones which I found everyone to complained about that they break and are just irritating. I spoke to my clinic about pumps (obvs) and currently they are changing every one that is on a accu check to a Medtronic 640
I had a play with the Medtronic 640 and i really liked it. Also if you type into Google insulin pumps available on the nhs, there's a lovely little table which lists all the benefits and compares them really nicely as well

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
@Type1Bri That's fantastic news.

I didn't get a choice so was given a Medtronic 640g which is a cannula infusion set pump, works very well but I don't have a comparison for it as its the only one I've had. Before I got it though I did have a look online to figure it out first, you can look up YouTube videos for all of these, users tend to post informative stuff on their use of their pumps so you can see in real life how people get on with them, have a look and good luck making your choice ;)

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I absolutely love my Insight pump - it doesn't need any kind of fiddling with because everything is doable from the handset (which is a meter, bolus calculator and remote control all in one), and it has prefilled insulin cartridges so it's quick and easy to change. The cartridges contain 160 units and each one lasts me around 6 days. I can wear it on my body without any part of it being on show, and I don't have to fish it out to press any buttons (although I can do it that way, if I want to not use the handset for any reason - like when I needed to tweak it slightly the other week halfway round the parkrun course!), which means it's really, really convenient.

The cannulas I find comfy and straightforward - I use the Flex ones, and I have an inserter (a spring loaded gadget) to fire them in with.

I have zero pump envy towards users of other pumps, because this one is just right for me. Mind you, it's my first pump so to be honest I would probably be just as amazingly happy with whichever I'd ended up with (I didn't have a choice, in fact, but feel I've hit the jackpot!).

I'm sure you'll make the right decision for your pump, @Type1Bri , whichever one you go for, and you'll never look back!

:)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm a 640 user and very happy with it. I used a combo before. For me, the best bits of the 640 are the SmartGuard and the CGM plus the waterproofing. Then , in terms of pump capabilities it is much the same as the acccuchek combo that I used before.

The major difference is the combo handset which directly allows access to all pump functions where the 640 only does remote bolus. As I tended to use the pump for stuff anyway I'm not bothered about that.

All in all, very good pump, and the set selection works for me.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
How is the Medtronic CGM?
I've found it to be better than the libre and about the same as the dexcom. If anything for me personally, the enlites may even be slightly better than Dex. The SmartGuard is truly awesome.

The only real difference is the amount of reuse you get from a sensor. I've found they die after 10-14days. That's the best ive managed. Dex do last a lot longer.

jodysd6

I got letter yesterday to say I am booked in to choose my new pump in sept, currently using accu check combo, I used a medtronic before this though and looks like they offer accu check, medtronic, animas or omnipod and I really am not sure which way I'm leaning at the moment! Heard so many negatives with the insight which are putting me off, my medtronic was always fine but not sure about if enlites are any good (currently using libre), like idea of dexcom with vibe but it's an older pump and kind of think if i was going to switch to dexcom would prefer G5, and hadn't really considered an omnipod, sort of like idea of no tubing but tubing has never massively bothered me and concerned about bulkiness of pods, so I really don't know which one i'll choose! (If work actually let me have the day off to go to the session and choose!)

Reactions: 5 people

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've found it to be better than the libre and about the same as the dexcom. If anything for me personally, the enlites may even be slightly better than Dex. The SmartGuard is truly awesome.

The only real difference is the amount of reuse you get from a sensor. I've found they die after 10-14days. That's the best ive managed. Dex do last a lot longer.

Thanks for the feedback. The reason why I am asking is this: my endo told me I am eligible for a pump as a T1. However, I would have to switch to Medtronic from Dexcom with my CGM. I think I will consider a pump later down the road as my control is still ok on MDI.

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
After a long time waiting my clinic have said I meet criteria for a pump
Been given the choice of 4 pumps
1. Medtronic 640
2. Medtronic Veo
3. Accu check insight
4. Accu check combo
I got till 23rd August to do my research
All opinions and reviews gratefully received

I have a veo, never had any problems with it but would chose the 640 over that as its newer and has a couple of features the veo doesn't have. Also Medtronic customer services have always been incredible whenever I've a problem, can't compare to the insight & combo as I've not used but I don't think I would ever veer away from Medtronic now

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
I didn't get a choice but i downloaded and read through the manuals for each pump and decided that if i did get a choice it would be the Insight or the Medtronic. Well i was given the Medtronic 640G. As I'm new to pumping insulin i can't honestly give a comparative like or dislike but I'm happy with the 640. Its very very easy to navigate through.

As for priming out air bubbles i tend to leave them as so far they have been no more than 3 mm and as my BG hasn't risen delivery hasn't been affected noticeably.
When i have primed the pump, its just a simple matter of disconnecting from your body and going through the process of changing the reservoir without actually changing it, in other words all you do is refit the same reservoir and fill the tubing when you get to that part of the sequence. There is also no need to fill the canular.

As for tubing getting tangled I've not had this problem, i tuck any excess into my waistband of my underwear which is were i clip my pump for sleeping. During the day i wear my pump around my neck, its very easy to get to from this location.

It would be nice if Medtronic did prefilled reseervoirs but having said that it is very easy to fill the ones i have. I use the 3 ml reservoirs and they last me 2.5 days. I have my pump set to remind me when i get to my last 50 units but i generally know long before i get there and can easily calculate how more bolus for meals and how much basal usage i have before i actually do a change.

My pump is set to remind for 3 days for a set change but i never get that far as i change it every 2.5 days. Also at the top of the screen you can clearly see if your reservoir is getting low and i generally check how much i have when i enter my carbs into the bolus wizard. You soon fall into a routine when you get to know your pump.

I'm only 5 weeks into using an insulin pump but with all the negatives of wearing a pump and this also relates to injections there are positives! And thats better health.

Regards

Martin

Last edited by a moderator:

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Great reading thanks for that Tim

AmandaD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've a 640g with CGM and I love it. The Enlite sensors can be a bit of a pain dying before 6 days are up but other than that I've no complaints.