GAD result of 4257 what does this mean?

Maggieshauna

Type of diabetes
Type 1
What does the GAD result mean other than proving what type of diabetes you have. I was given my result on Thursday it was 4257. I was told this was high but I didn't think of asking what it meant. Can any one fill me in please?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It means you're GAD positive. It means you're type 1.

Maggieshauna

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks catapillar...the consultant told me that but I have been wondering if anything else is contributing to this? I'm not too worried as I am feeling very well and am keeping under my target bg.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The GAD test is only testing for the antibodies. I don't think it tells you anything beyond the fact that you have the antibodies.

As for what is contributing to this. Not sure what you mean by "this". If you mean the GAD positivity, no one knows why you get the antibodies, it's possibly some combination of genetics and environment, honestly no one knows. If you mean the diabetes, well the GAD test tells you that those antibodies are killing off your insulin producing beta cells and that's why you are diabetic.

Don't look for too much meaning it - a GAD test just tells you you are type 1. I really dont think it is run for any other diagnostic purpose other then to figure out what type of diabetes you have.