Type 2 Strips?

dayskipper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All,
I have recently moved house and new doctor has stopped me having testing strips? The sugar sister is a new one having only recently done the course and is not very helpful.
Has anyone else had their test strips removed from prescription?

oopsie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, my doctor won't give me anything, having to self fund.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Unless you are on medication capable of giving you a hypo you are unlikely to be prescribed strips.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I,m afraid you will now have to buy your strips

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cycling, Exercise Classes
I have always purchased my own as doctor states Type 2's do not need to test and never have a hypo!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Drunks, men who hit woman, people on Drugs, loudmouth hooligans, violence.....
I have always purchased my own as doctor states Type 2's do not need to test and never have a hypo!
Hi ,Type two do have hypos, when I was aboard the weather was so hot had two in a fortnight, also medication can cause hypos. now 2014 type one rest of my life

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I see from your profile you are on Gliclazide. If that is still the case you should press your case. You can have hypos on this drug and need to test before driving.

I'm afraid those of us not on insulin or these types of drugs have to self fund.

kevin hogg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got lucky not only did the dn congratulate me on getting down to almost in remission
She gave me a new Aviva meter and stips, said she was proud of me and was converted to low carb. Result

GrannyAnnie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Know-it-all's!!!!!!!
I'm T2 and have been prescribed 100 strips per month for the past 3 years. I take gliclazide and sitagliptin also 1000 mg slow release Metformin morning and evening. My so called diabetes nurse, ( who does not seem to know much about diabetes) has now told me that I have no need to test as I have excellent control! I pointed out to her that I only have excellent control because I AM testing!! She told me I could only have 50 strips every other month!!! That's less than one a day! I currently test morning and evening and every time I feel I am going too low. ( I get false hypo's and don't want to take glucose to bump up my BG if it is at a good level) I tend to go hypo 2 to 3 times per week. I have reduced my gliclazide from 160 mg twice a day to 120 mg twice a day which has kept me at no more than 2 to 3 a week ( I was going hypo a lot more often on the dose prescribed). I keep my bg at around 5 -6 with an occasional spike. But I have pointed out to the nurse that I would not know what was spiking me if I didn't test and all she said was the classic reply - 'why do you want sore fingers?' I told her they were not sore and even if they were I would rather test and keep control than not know what was going on with my own body!!! She has reluctantly agreed to let me have 50 strip per month , for now...... if I want any more, I have to self fund. The meter she gave me is not very accurate (I check it against another one I have occasionally) and the strtips are quite cheap compared to most. I could understand it more if the meter took strips that were expensive! I get the distinct feeling that they would rather I got progressively worse (as they said I would when they first diagnosed me) than help me to stay well and perhaps come off meds eventually!!!! Both the nurse and my doctor were not very pleased when I told them I would no longer take Statins!! They told me how bad that would be for me, but I said I would take my chances till they could prove that they actually did more good than harm!!! My cholesterol is fine anyway. I'm not looking forward to my next appointment in October!! Sorry for the rant.

truckersteve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a HGV driver and when I was prescribed Sitagliptin instead of Glicazide
my doctor said I did not need to test anymore. I had to remind him that DVLA state you must test at least 4 times a day and have a meter that stores up to 6 months readings with you at all times. Luckily I have not had a problem being prescribed Test strips yet.

bofhvp

I am a HGV driver and when I was prescribed Sitagliptin instead of Glicazide
my doctor said I did not need to test anymore. I had to remind him that DVLA state you must test at least 4 times a day and have a meter that stores up to 6 months readings with you at all times. Luckily I have not had a problem being prescribed Test strips yet.

I was informed by DVLA that you have to test before you start to drive. So, if you were to stop and start, say 8 times ( or more a day) you have to test 8 time (or more a day) ... yep sore fingers ! Otherwise, if you in an accident or asked to provide proof that your BS was in the safe "zone" before you started driving, you could be blamed for the accident !

Am on insulin and that has worked for me all the time.

truckersteve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was informed by DVLA that you have to test before you start to drive. So, if you were to stop and start, say 8 times ( or more a day) you have to test 8 time (or more a day) ... yep sore fingers ! Otherwise, if you in an accident or asked to provide proof that your BS was in the safe "zone" before you started driving, you could be blamed for the accident !

Am on insulin and that has worked for me all the time.
I think you will find that you are supposed to check before starting to drive then every two hours, which is rather excessive, but with only being allowed to drive usually 9 hours I find 4 time's is sufficient.