busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thus maybe none of those words are correct... remission, cured, reversed etc

Maybe the best word is controlled!

No longer chronic!

Maybe as we are all so unique we all need a unique word for us? However cured is deffinitely out... for now.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"....Also our feet adjust to bad feet by creating bunyions, thick skin, or if you are a woman who has worn high heels for years knows the shape of your feet changes as well as the calf muscel shortens... this doesnt happen with food."

Oh, I don't know. All those things you have described are long term damage to the feet. With food on a sub-optimal diet, longer term damage can happen.

It was a simplistic analogy, I appreciate.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Lol was about to answer the same... most shops dont supply the half sizes I KNOW. I am a suffer of elephant feet! Small but wide! The size 3 usually arent wide enough so need to go for a size 4 or even 5 to get the width. The size 5s make my feet slip inside if they get wet (wont go into details) and size 4 always end up rubbing the little toe. I know immediately when i put my foot into a shoe if it will hurt my because either i cant get my foot in or PAIN. You dont get that with food (never had a problem shuveling food in) also i can go years without finding shoes and have to wear slippes or boots (in summer) until i find what fits me. Also our feet adjust to bad feet by creating bunyions, thick skin, or if you are a woman who has worn high heels for years knows the shape of your feet changes as well as the calf muscel shortens... this doesnt happen with food.

There is no shop to go for diets to choose from... to try them on. Like @ickihun said above we are told what to do and if it doesnt work immediately we are told to wait suffering. There is no proper open discussion in the gp office on the nhs who give you a choice to try and most give WRONG advice (like forcing everyone to wear clown shoes). We cant try a diet and see an immediate effect as our bodies are still trying to heal from years of the wrong diet. So maybe the wrong metaphor to use.
I agree.
The longer the wrong fat cells have been alive and continue to be created, the worse the affliction.
However size 3.5 suits alot of men noting their progress and assume we must be doing something wrong. Hum.... and some women.
No solution to generalize. I've worked that one out from these forums.
Everyone is different but our only common denominator is the fight on diabetes!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
As a long term sufferer of MG I have found that almost no two myasthenics have the same set of symptoms and for that reason they refer to themselves as snowflakes because each snowflake is unique but all are snowflakes I think this equally applies to diabetics. We are all the same but different.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's my birthday today so I took some cakes into work and, to be honest, indulged in one or two the last one being with a cup of tea at 3.30. out of curiosity and to see what damage' I had done I tested my BG at 5.30 and if was 4.8!! I've been getting similar results with more 'carby' food for a while now so wondering if I've reversed my diabetes.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I am guessing that in some circumstances it is possible to reverse diabetes if you are lucky depending on what is deemed "normal" eating of carb based foods. I think you would need to have enough beta cells in the pancreas, have optimum levels of visceral fat / fat within the liver and pancreas to reduce insulin resistance, have muscle density and tone as a glucose burning machine, workout to health guidelines - perhaps above, and have good gut bacteria; I think I have described an athlete. I would not do this as quick but I am keen to see what loosing circa 16-20% diagnosed body weight does, as so far I am at 9% with good control http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...etes-just-11-days--going-starvation-diet.html.

This is confused however, as I suspect like most diabetics I look at other peoples food all the time, and would not want to go back to this type of eating, now I am educated (yes I occasionally miss a bakewell tart) . I would say 60-70% of regular 2 to 3 course meals are carb based (based on what I have seen eating out in the UK, Spain and Portugal in the last month), this is scary. Often copious fries, bread and fizzy drinks or equivalents are staples along with a sweet afters - I think the pre-diabetic levels are underestimated.

I am happy with well controlled as this for me and I can see for others reduces bmi and other health markers.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I liken it to cancer now.. I can't say "in remission"- only that there is no evidence (yet). So I wouldn't be able to consider that any T2 is either in remission or reversed.. They are still diabetic but as an individual they have managed to enable their body to show no evidence of diabetes currently (but depending on their future lifestules and pancreas/liver functioning) it could return.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
They are still diabetic but as an individual they have managed to enable their body to show no evidence of diabetes currently
That is actually the meaning of remission in remission you are asymptomatic but still do have the disease. This is why I count my self as in remission of my diabetes.

michael D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
think its more remission then cure as i was "cured" in 2013 and removed from all meds and then back on the meta in 2015 18/12/2015 HbA1c:103.0 mmol/mol 11.6% mainly due to lossing control of diet
HbA1c: 54.0 mmol/mol (7.1%) on 06/07/2016
but still have the odd treat but no beers mosty 1 pint if eating out where theres little option for low carbing for me :(
just watching carbs which helped losing nearly 6 stones :)
which would not have happened if i had followed the nhs path for diabetics and not found this site and the LC way via guys on here

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Yeah I have lost 6 1/2 stones now, last review HbA1c was 39 had a blood test since then requested by Neurologist and is now at 38. LC I agree is the way to go and now my GP also agrees.:)

Reactions: 2 people