My new Freestyle Libre - My findings...

KevinH1964

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine started working this morning, around 4 am, about 12 hours after I put it on. Clearly I should put the next one on the day before the current expires! So far results are it is spot on when the arrow say my BG is not changing, it is within 1 mmol/L when it is the slightly up or down arrow, and up to 3 out on the fast changing arrows. But today was exceptional as I had a croissant which will lead to very rapid changes. (Interestingly when my BG was raising fast it over read, which suggest the lag compensation is over egged in these circumstances as this is not what you would expect, the Libre said I was a 10 whereas my finger pricks never had me above 7) I can also report it works through 5 layers of clothing and with the meter, rather than the sensor, briefly in -15C. Overall very impressed, and now want to figure out how to get the minute by minute readings into something I can play with to analyse.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine started working this morning, around 4 am, about 12 hours after I put it on. Clearly I should put the next one on the day before the current expires! So far results are it is spot on when the arrow say my BG is not changing, it is within 1 mmol/L when it is the slightly up or down arrow, and up to 3 out on the fast changing arrows. But today was exceptional as I had a croissant which will lead to very rapid changes. (Interestingly when my BG was raising fast it over read, which suggest the lag compensation is over egged in these circumstances as this is not what you would expect, the Libre said I was a 10 whereas my finger pricks never had me above 7) I can also report it works through 5 layers of clothing and with the meter, rather than the sensor, briefly in -15C. Overall very impressed, and now want to figure out how to get the minute by minute readings into something I can play with to analyse.

If you download the data, you can choose to open it in Excel or such an application. In Excel, you can clearly do pivot tables, trend lines and so on.

spideog

Just received my Libre today. Now had it on for an hour and just did the first test.

Blood test said 5.6, so happy with that as a number. Then the Libre also said 5.6.

That would be awesome if it keeps up that kind of accuracy with the regular BG meter.

Reactions: 2 people

YorkshireAli

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My Libre just arrived - the deliveryman knocked on the door just as I was scrabbling in the fridge for something to sort out my hypo...I was so wobbly I couldn't sign my name properly. I think he thought I'd been on the gin :D

YorkshireAli

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know it s only a day in but so far...

I like - it's very easy to use, easy to apply the sensor, which is well stuck on and didn't hurt at all to apply (I did wonder about that when I saw the needle!). The trend arrows are handy too.

I don't like - the discrepancy between the sensor's reading and my usual meter (Contour Next USB) - it's been consistently at least 2mmol lower, sometimes more. When my meter says 5.9 and the sensor says 3.5 that makes a big difference to how I deal with things.

I really really want this to work, and I've read that so many people have had this with sensors, especially to begin with. I'll give it till Monday to see whether it settles down, and if it hasn't, then I think I'll be giving Abbot a call.

Claire007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My experience was it took 48 hours to settle down. It's my first sensor and I've had a weekend involving a party and a wedding so possibly a bit of dehydration due to the gin and slimlines!
I'm very happy with it now, easy to insert and my GP gave me test strips for it so if I do have any accuracy problems then I can do a finger prick using the reader
As I'm on MDI, I like the fact it has a bolus calculator and displays IOB so all good. I shall use it as my main meter if there are times I can't fund it.

YorkshireAli

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I was unlucky with the first sensor - I phoned Abbot on Monday as the readings were still way off my Contour ones, and they're going to send some testing strips and consider replacing it. However, on Tuesday I managed to rip it off on the edge of the bath, after which it wouldn't work at all, so I had to apply another sensor. This one's great - the readings are pretty much spot on the same as the Contour ones, and were from the start. I feel much happier to trust it.

Conclusion today - I love my Libre :D

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For me it typically take from 2-4 hours before the Libre results are spot on. It always starts out reporting in the low end. Most often like 2-3 mmol/dl too low, at times up to 4-5 mmol/dl too low. It then become more and more accurate within the following 2-4 hours. As noted by other posters, can only consider its because it has to accommodate to your 'skin temperature' (Have at times plugged a new sensor direct from e.g. a frozen car and that showed lowest and most off the scale of any I tried so far ;o). Likewise it also need to be getting nurtured in its new home for the next 14 days before it will get all the sugars etc floating freely around the sensor needle tip. It is a foreign subject we plunge into the arm, so potentially a minor rupture in supporting tissue has to be overcome before metabolism and fluid perfusion near and around the sensor is back to normal.
Been using it for more than 1 year now. Have not used a 'normal' finger prick + bg meter for last 9 months now, so fully reliant on- and trusting my life on this new gadget. ;o)

Diving, surfing, paragliding, skiing, weekly airplane flights, 4 continents, 25+ countries. High, low, warm, cold, dry or wet. It's been through the paces with me and shown to be working consistently well and deserve my trust. Had only two sensor going bad, and every time my own fault.

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Awesome @Celsus, a really helpful post.

Do you cover the sensor with anything to prevent it falling off? I've heard people use RockTape to provide extra support for the sensor. If so, what size? If not, what do you use?

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you Teacher!
Actually I never had the problem of the sensor 'just falling off'. This despite a very active and crazy way of life. ;o)
Maybe this is due to my practice of how I apply it to my arm? So here we go:
  1. In the very beginning, first 2-3 months or so after sensor launched to the market, it appeared to be less settled on your arm. This was especially evident when you had to remove it again after 14 days, as no major problem to pull it off. I also in this period had sometimes what could be considered a mild eczema and some itching especially first hours after sensor placement. Gave feedback to Abbott, and not sure if they changed much, but eczema stopped totally and so did the itching. I am almost 100% sure they changed something about the 'glue' used, as also the sensor attachment was markedly different and to the better! So much, that I now follow this regime:
  2. First taking off the old sensor. Typically it still sits so well attached, that I get slight red bruises on my arm with marks along its edges as I have to pull heavily while wiggling it from side to side to detach it from my arm.
  3. Maybe just a 'man-thing', but reason why it sits hard attached is that I always shave the skin on my arm before placing the new sensor. Actually first it was to avoid the scrutinizing pain it was when pulling it off 2 weeks later, and my soft skin hair was attached to it. And I am no hairy beast. ;o) Pro bicycle riders do btw the same, as to support bandages etc to glue well, while they sweat when climbing Alpe D'Huez or drive through pouring rain in Tour de Flandern.
  4. After this, I use the disinfecting swab supplied with the sensor. And then very important, let the skin dry out completely. Like 30-60 minutes, especially if I had just showered first.
  5. Then I put on the sensor, and I keep pressing it against my skin for probably 1 minute or so. No worries to press a bit hard here, as the sensor tip will not go further in or anything, as hindered by the white exterior plate on your skin surface. But it is important that the full glue surface is attaching well from the very beginning, as it otherwise never well help to support the sensor attachment when once out in the open.
  6. I never used any extra tape of any kind. Just have to be a bit careful and gentle when e.g. taking on my wetsuit, as that is sitting pretty tight. But I have been in the water for 5+ hours in a row and never did it come off. Also been in 40+ tropical heat and sweating profusely and it stayed with no issue.
  7. So when did it come off by accident? Twice when it came off was both times because I physically tore it by accident. Once was when I pulled off a very tightly nit sweatshirt that probably was one size too small for me. ;o)
    And the arm opening edge got stuck right on the edge of the sensor disc also. And I was wrestling the sweatshirt off in one brisk movement, so it was a quick sudden tearing off event. And it was actually hurting like hell. Not because of the needle location/tear in the skin, as there were practically none. No, the pain was due to the sensor glued so well to the skin and it was the sensor-disc that was bending into my skin/arm due to the tearing on the other end of the disc.
    Second time it came off, I was crawling with naked arms too close through some cave cliff opening. The sensor was actually still there on my arm, but again painful when the disc had been torn on one side. I touch it and found it slight loose in one side. When trying to measure the bg, the sensor was dead. Or most likely, the needle had also been pulled out of the skin when the sensor disc had been torn to the side. I celebrated this with emptying the can of coca cola I had brought along as safety in case of going low during my canyoning venture. At least I knew I wouldn't go low then the next 60 minutes or so, till I was out again at my car. Life as diabetic is tough but never boring, so enjoy every moment of pleasure you get. ;o)
  8. Some inspiration: http://www.activeazur.com/canyoning/south-france

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me it typically take from 2-4 hours before the Libre results are spot on. It always starts out reporting in the low end. Most often like 2-3 mmol/dl too low, at times up to 4-5 mmol/dl too low. It then become more and more accurate within the following 2-4 hours. As noted by other posters, can only consider its because it has to accommodate to your 'skin temperature' (Have at times plugged a new sensor direct from e.g. a frozen car and that showed lowest and most off the scale of any I tried so far ;o). Likewise it also need to be getting nurtured in its new home for the next 14 days before it will get all the sugars etc floating freely around the sensor needle tip. It is a foreign subject we plunge into the arm, so potentially a minor rupture in supporting tissue has to be overcome before metabolism and fluid perfusion near and around the sensor is back to normal.
Been using it for more than 1 year now. Have not used a 'normal' finger prick + bg meter for last 9 months now, so fully reliant on- and trusting my life on this new gadget. ;o)

Diving, surfing, paragliding, skiing, weekly airplane flights, 4 continents, 25+ countries. High, low, warm, cold, dry or wet. It's been through the paces with me and shown to be working consistently well and deserve my trust. Had only two sensor going bad, and every time my own fault.

I assume, if you drive, you continue to comply with the DVLA finger prick testing requirements? Just enquiring.

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A brilliant post again @Celsus, thank you so much!

That basically is my only worry about the sensors and coming off with sport related activities but you have demonstrated through your post that ALL sporting activities are possible. When I get my Libre I will go through this process which you have listed and hopefully will have no problems. The whole 'man thing' regarding hairy arms isn't a problem for me because well, I'm just not hairy in the slightest!

Again, thank you for this great post. I really appreciate it!

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I gave the Libre a rest for about a year and had some spare cash so I bought 2 sensors to see if they had improved them and sadly "for my body" they have not :¬(

1st) I think they have changed the adhesive because the 1st new sensor I tried actually fell off before I managed to activate it - adhesive seemed very poor on it

2nd) after 24 hours bedding in I activated it and it read 2.3mmol finger prick read 5.5mmol - Sad Face but it got worse - the next morning I had a bad morning high 9.6mmol on waking and finger prick said 7.6mmol

This trend of 2mmol low when I'm low and 2mmol higher when I'm high is a fully blown trend of this sensor and I am realy disappointed in Abbott's device - I expected some improvements over the last year but no!

In my opinion they should not allow any numbers on their graphs as its all meaningless they should show only an axis less trend line - Or FIX the tech :¬(

I believe from reading some android apps allow the user to "Post" calibrate the Abbott's sensor readings using real blood prick readings and this should be the norm for Abbotts hardware reader

Anyways armed with that info I will buy a new galaxy note 7 and get said software reader and then this might be of some use

<semi-rant off> but I'm really disappointed
(my thread so I hope you don't mind the necro)

Last edited by a moderator:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I gave the Libre a rest for about a year and had some spare cash so I bought 2 sensors to see if they had improved them and sadly "for my body" they have not :¬(

1st) I think they have changed the adhesive because the 1st new sensor I tried actually fell off before I managed to activate it - adhesive seemed very poor on it

2nd) after 24 hours bedding in I activated it and it read 2.3mmol finger prick read 5.5mmol - Sad Face but it got worse - the next morning I had a bad morning high 9.6mmol on waking and finger prick said 7.6mmol

This trend of 2mmol low when I'm low and 2mmol higher when I'm high is a fully blown trend of this sensor and I am realy disappointed in Abbott's device - I expected some improvements over the last year but no!

In my opinion they should not allow any numbers on their graphs as its all meaningless they should show only an axis less trend line - Or FIX the tech :¬(

I believe from reading some android apps allow the user to "Post" calibrate the Abbott's sensor readings using real blood prick readings and this should be the norm for Abbotts hardware reader

Anyways armed with that info I will buy a new galaxy note 7 and get said software reader and then this might be of some use

<semi-rant off> but I'm really disappointed
(my thread so I hope you don't mind the necro)

I'm assuming you have contacted Abbott about these latest two sensors? What did they say?

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm assuming you have contacted Abbott about these latest two sensors? What did they say?
Abbot will be great about replacing they always have, but its weekend and they work mon/fri :¬) I willl phone 1st thing Monday :¬)

Ultimaf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs in Potatoes
Well I'm on my second sensor first one failed after two days saying it had ended. Most of the readings were within 0.2 mmol. So the second one I've put in 5 hours ago this one was 0.1 mmol deviation so happy days! I put my son to bed tidy around a bit sit down and check 4.3 Jeepers best sort that out! I have a low carb snack and check a few minutes later, I wait and check again same 4.3 going down so I check normally with my freestyle optimum 11.6 Whaaat?! Not a happy bunny two sensors in nearly as many days do I throw more money on duff sensors or give it up as a bad do?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I'm on my second sensor first one failed after two days saying it had ended. Most of the readings were within 0.2 mmol. So the second one I've put in 5 hours ago this one was 0.1 mmol deviation so happy days! I put my son to bed tidy around a bit sit down and check 4.3 Jeepers best sort that out! I have a low carb snack and check a few minutes later, I wait and check again same 4.3 going down so I check normally with my freestyle optimum 11.6 Whaaat?! Not a happy bunny two sensors in nearly as many days do I throw more money on duff sensors or give it up as a bad do?

Please do call Abbott. I must say, I've been impressed by their responses to sub-optimal performances. The free call number I use is 0500 467466, Monday - Friday.

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes they are replacing my sensors without a fuss here (I just called them)
I would not bother with emails as they have a good Freephone number AndBreathe posted one

Also I read somewhere yesterday (I cant remember where I see so many) that You should insert the sensor when your at a Normal BS range (Not duing times of High or Low BS)

I have never taken this into account but I guess if its 1st readings are of abnormal highs or lows it might throw it off for a while

I dunno but sounded sensible :¬)

jinty73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All members of the british government, benefit fraud, liver & kidneys, animal cruelty, having to work
I've had the same nightmares with the sensors and i've now ripped two off on doorframe!!!!! I'm really at the point of unsure whether to continue with them. I have another sensor on its way to me now, which was replaced by Abbott, and i'm really tempted to try putting it on my side or stomach to see if its safer from being ripped off. Not the miracle machine i first thought and forked out a lot of money for:-(