Type 1: Can i take milk and eggs?

Chandradev819

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Everyone,

As type 1, can i take Milk,Curd, Eggs and Chechen in my daily food ? will it spike the glucose level ?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi Everyone,

As type 1, can i take Milk,Curd, Eggs and Chechen in my daily food ? will it spike the glucose level ?

Hi @Chandradev819 Yes dairy products and eggs will raise your glucose levels due to the lactose content, check myfitnesspal for information regarding carbohydrates, not sure what Chechen is though ? You can eat them just ensure you're taking the right insulin dose ;)

MickyFinn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Eggs are fine, however I was told to avoid to avoid milk as it can spike blood glucose. That came direct from both my Diabetes Nurse and the dietitian.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Eggs are fine, however I was told to avoid to avoid milk as it can spike blood glucose. That came direct from both my Diabetes Nurse and the dietitian.

Perhaps that's something particular to,you and your situation?

I've never heard that before. My dietician advised me to eat cereal and milk (with the right amount of insulin obviously), I have milk in my tea and coffee, and I also sometimes have a glass of milk (again, I bolus for it) or an iced latte, etc.

Reactions: 4 people

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
Normal cow's milk is lethal for me but there are other milk alternatives such as soya , almond and coconut milks (unsweetened of course). I eat eggs but sometimes find a delayed spike several hours later due to the 'protein effect'. Never tried Curd and don't know what chechen is but the best way is to try and test :)

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Whole milk contains 5g of carbs as lactose per 100ml, so you have to drink a decent amount to get a spike!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Everyone,

Not heard of Chechen but the rest are fine, by testing your postprandial bg levels will you know if they cause a spike and by how much.

MickyFinn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Perhaps that's something particular to,you and your situation?

I've never heard that before. My dietician advised me to eat cereal and milk (with the right amount of insulin obviously), I have milk in my tea and coffee, and I also sometimes have a glass of milk (again, I bolus for it) or an iced latte, etc.
Not exactly specific to me. I was in a group of six people consisting of both type 1 and 2's on a carbon counting course.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Not exactly specific to me. I was in a group of six people consisting of both type 1 and 2's on a carbon counting course.

Which course was it @MickyFinn, I did the DAFNE course several years back and although they don't really advise on diet they didn't say to avoid milk, I use milk every day in tea/coffee and in my morning porridge.

MickyFinn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Which course was it @MickyFinn, I did the DAFNE course several years back and although they don't really advise on diet they didn't say to avoid milk, I use milk every day in tea/coffee and in my morning porridge.
It wasn't called dafne, but it was essentially the same thing by another name. I think what they really want is for both type 1 and 2's to not drink large quantities of milk as a drink in itself. I cannot see how a small amount in coffee etc, would make too much difference. I also think they were in part referring to the thing about full fat milk being linked to insulin resistance. When I see one of them again, I may ask for further clarification.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That makes sense @MickyFinn, best to keep things in moderation. Thanks for the reply :)

MickyFinn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Normal cow's milk is lethal for me but there are other milk alternatives such as soya , almond and coconut milks (unsweetened of course). I eat eggs but sometimes find a delayed spike several hours later due to the 'protein effect'. Never tried Curd and don't know what chechen is but the best way is to try and test :)
Stick to almond milk, soya is detrimental to health in other ways, namely that it raises oestrogen levels.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Exactly, moderation is probably key. Personally I don't tolerate milk that well, so I don't have it for that reason, nowt to do with being type 1.

I'm good with milk, but if you have a lacto intolerance the Lacto-Free milk by Arla is very good, tbh it tastes no different from standard milk.

MickyFinn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm good with milk, but if you have a lacto intolerance the Lacto-Free milk by Arla is very good, tbh it tastes no different from standard milk.
I tried the Arla lactose free cheese a few years ago and it didn't go particularly well! I also have Crohn's and that really hates me drinking milk!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It wasn't called dafne, but it was essentially the same thing by another name. I think what they really want is for both type 1 and 2's to not drink large quantities of milk as a drink in itself. I cannot see how a small amount in coffee etc, would make too much difference. I also think they were in part referring to the thing about full fat milk being linked to insulin resistance. When I see one of them again, I may ask for further clarification.

Maybe they meant that milk wasnt "free"? I know that some people seem to put about half a pint in their coffee : D That would affect blood sugar. and, as you imply, some people might not think to count carbs in drinks like a glass of milk.

Milk is ok as a drink as long as the carbs are counted. I used to measure it carefully but now I have a handy glass that exactly holds 10g carbs worth of milk : D

But certainly there may be other reasons to avoid milk.

I hope your Crohns stays ok. I don't know much about it, but I know that it's not at all pleasant.

frenchlady

Type of diabetes
Type 1
When I was in hospital during my last pregnancy (in the 70s!!!) they gave me milk for a hypo!. I count it in with my other carbs now as about 15g a cup. If I have muesli, I count the muesli and I count the milk. In the 'old' days, we were told that, if we had 6 cups of tea/coffee a day, then we should add 6g carbs for the day. Of course, things are different now. I have .never been told not to have any food at all. Why would you unless you had other reasons? Just allow for it in your insulin dose Do you mean chicken? If so, I don't count it.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. As others have said I think the relevance of lactose sugar in milk for us is over-stated. The quantities are quite small compared with other carb sources so go ahead and drink it.