Type 2 can i end up on insulin ?

chris9875

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,probably silly question to some but diagnosed 3 years ago now on metformin 2000mg and sitagliptine 100mg just been called to see my nurse as hba1c 7.4.Will i be able to take more medication or will i end up on insulin ,how long from diaganosis to when this usually happens ,if im really good will it improve or am i delaying the inevitable ?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
If you cannot control your blood sugars and they continue to rise then, yes, you will end up on insulin.
Can you tell us a bit about your diet and what you eat during an average day ? Then we can maybe give you some advice that will help you reduce your blood sugar levels and therefore not need to go onto insulin.

SweetGuy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
chris9875 said:
Hi,probably silly question to some but diagnosed 3 years ago now on metformin 2000mg and sitagliptine 100mg just been called to see my nurse as hba1c 7.4.Will i be able to take more medication or will i end up on insulin ,how long from diaganosis to when this usually happens ,if im really good will it improve or am i delaying the inevitable ?

7.4% is near the borderline level for escalating your treatment to stuff you inject. They will usually try you on Sulphonyreas if you are not too overweight. Victoza and Byetta which you inject are also tried now as alternatives to Insulin for type 2s. I am in much the same position as you taking Meformin and Sitagliptin but with the levels still too high and wondering what the hell to do next :( .

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Sweet Guy, sometimes making changes in your diet can help reduce levels.

You have to have a BMI of 35 or over to go on Byetta. Victoza has similar guidelines. You also have to be uncontrolled on the maximum dose of oral meds before they consider this. However some consultants ignore these criteria.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Sue said it all
I would advise anyone facing insulin to look at their eating. Insulin has its own problems, such as potential hypos and almost inevitable weight gain.
Hana

jopar

Insulin is prescribed to T2's in the main when nothing else works...

But as Sue's says, having a look at your diet might provide you with the ability to avoid the insulin if you can.. You may be able to tweak some of the foods that you eat, either type or portion size that impacts on your blood glucose less..

If you'll not testing, ask your clinic for meter and test strips, so you can see how your diet is impacting on you blood glucose so that you can at least attempt to alter your diet...

Insulin can create all sorts of hoch pots problems from hypo's, to effecting your driving licence, health and life insurances etc..

As to an 'envitable weight' gain, a load of tosh to a certain extent.. As I am 1 stone lighter than my prediabetic days.. I went from 9 1/2 stone down to 6 1/2 stone :shock: before going onto insulin.. As the insulin sorted out my blood glucose levels I started to gain weight (weight that I needed to be healthy) but in the 21 years I've been using insulin I've still never managed to get past the 8 1/2 stone mark :oops:

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Jopar, I think you are a rare case, but good for you.
Insulin can cause weight gain, but that doesn't mean you can't control it by watching your diet and exercising. Unfortunately carb-full dietry advice from the NHS can also contribute to weight gain.
My dietitian told me that I MUST take an injection at lunchtime, despite me telling her I had a fairly low-carb lunch and the walk to my son's school 2 hours later kept my levels stable. If I followed her advice it would enevitably result in a hypo; and me having to eat more carbs and calories :cry:
Jus

chris9875

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi my weight BMI is 30 and i struggle to keep it there ,i am a sweet tooth monster and have been really trying but will go without then binge,also i have given up smoking for last 6 weeks so all in all am trying but feel like im failing .
I am unfortunatly not a lover of routine which doesnt help

dragongirl

Hey! You have a routine for go-without/binge, and then (had) another one for smoking (well done on that, by the way!). Maybe you could start thinking of yourself as someone who can have routines if they fit your current desires. Sounds as if your current desire is to stay off insulin, so you could start up a new eating routine that fitted that aim. Surely? And anything you start doing becomes a routine after a short time. I remember when we changed where the fridge was so we could decorate, at first we kept going to the original place, and then after 2 weeks when we moved it back, we kept going to the newer place - so in just two weeks we'd gone onto automatic for the newer position. The same would happen with food choices. Try it?!
DG