Diabetes affecting smear test results?

Jenni_1984

Hi everyone,

Ever since my first smear test around 8 years ago I have never had a 'normal' result. After 2 abnormal smears (minor changes) I was referred to my local colposcopy clinic, they found nothing that required treatment so I was referred back to my GP for routine smears.....after 2 abnormal smear tests I was referred back to colposcopy and it's been that way ever since constant back and forth.

I have asked several times if being a diabetic could in any way affect the results or give cause for me to have 'abnormal' smears and I've never really been given an answer - apart from a shrug of the shoulders and "possibly". Obviously when my smear is being checked at the lab they don't have my full medical history - or I assume they don't.

Out of interest I was wondering if any other diabetic women had had anything similar? Or am I just unlucky?! Each time I get my result back from colposcopy they tell me there are no problems.

Just a thought - wonder if anyone could relate to my experiences?

Jenni :D

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi jenni when i had my daughter back in 2001 i had a smear test when she was about 3 months old and it came back abnormal i had to have another one done but they told me it was probably because of the hormone after having a baby, so when the second one came back normal i did'nt really think about it. Ever since all the smears i have had have been normal. Maybe like you said you are one of the unlucky ones diabetes affects peoples bodies in all different ways. Have you spoke to your diabetic nurse or consultant about it they maybe able to give you a better answer.

Good Luck
Tracey167

Lizzie7

Hi Jenni,

I was diagnosed last summer and before I had a smear test in Sept I asked my GP if the diabetes could affect it. She said no, but my smear test came back as borderline (been having smears for years and always had a normal result). Lots of worry and waiting to have another smear but, in the meantime, have concluded that the diabetes probably affected the result. I got a copy of my blood tests at the time of diagnosis and almost every test (liver, blood count etc) was outside the normal ranges. To me, it makes sense that cervical cells will also have been affected - I just don't think it's ever been studied.

Just my opinion of course!

xx

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just to show it isn't always the case. I had a smear done in hospital when diagnosed , not to do with diabetes because my French doctors were making sure that every possible check under the sun had been done. My glucose levels were obviously high and had been for some time before.The gynae found a small polyp, both smear and polyp were negative.

Katharine

My understanding is that high blood sugars and smear results are not related.

Minor abnormalities in smears are very, very common. In order to prevent one death from cervical cancer doctors have to treat at least 100 women with "abnormal smears".

Vikki1981

i could be wrong but when blood sugars are high this sometimes causes thrush and thrush can bring back abnormal results, happened to me once and the docs said this was probably the cause now my sugars are alot more controlled and my last test come back fine :D

sugar2

Dito what Tracie said...except I have yet to have another one done as mine was in 2006.
Feel for you though..that worry is awful!

Jenni_1984

Hiya,

Thanks for taking the time to reply with your persepectives of this. It's reassuring to read that other people have had niggles with smear tests that are apparently unexplained.

I had a diabetic clinic appointment last week and asked the consultant there about this - who I hadn't seen before. He said he knew of no links between abnormal smear test results and type 1. He said if anything you might see bacterial changes linked to high sugar levels.

Last time I attended colposcopy (November) the nurse did say some people can be unlucky :D. Now I'll be going back to my own GP for my routine smear in a few months...and I would be surprised if that doesn't come back as abnormal and the cycle keeps going. Who knows? I suppose the reassuring this is that we are checked regularly and no matter how minor the changes might be there is a system for recall and referral.

I have to say my gut reaction is that the abnormal results are linked to my diabetes, like you Lizze. It's hard to find something that you're diabetes doesn't affect!

Thanks,

Jenni :D

weeza44

Hey there,

I'm a little relieved to see this post I have to say. For the past 2 and a half years Ive had abnormal results in smears, have had 2 colposcopy's, all which are bringing back abnornal results. I'm having to attend the hospital every 6 months for this and well.. I did ask the DR's and my diabetic nurse if they were related.. They simply replied..''its just bad luck''.. So I agree with the others here that it doesnt appear that these conditions are related in anyway.

It is just unfortunate and you just have to carry on and take care of yourself to make sure that nothing else can go wrong..

Thanks for the post though, very reassuring!

:)