Regular moderate exercise log

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm visiting my Mum in a smallish town in Notts. Managed to hit 11,000 or 12,000 steps in each of the last three days. And since I'm usually carrying her shopping, I'll count that as a little weight training too!

Reactions: 3 people

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Here goes......!

Have finished the antibiotics for that bout of sinusitis, and I'm intending on going RUNNING......

Wish me luck!

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am taking my own advice and resting a bit.

Can't quite decide why I'm so grumpy and grouchy (though I haz my suspicions and I will be very cross if it is...) and after doing 108 miles of walking in the last two weeks, I'm having a couple of days off anything longer than couple of half hour strolls!!

Reactions: 2 people

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks, @Japes ! And it's a good idea to take it easy for a couple of days , considering all that mileage! Treat yourself to some downtime.

6km last night - loved loved loved being back out there. Really nice gang of people at the club, and we ran from the leisure centre through part of the town and then did loops around a housing estate - it was really good fun.

Eased back in and swam just 20 lengths early this morning (not 30, which is my favoured distance) and did some leg stretching in the pool (not busy so didn't feel like too much of a wally). Legs are a bit tender this morning.

Blood sugar last night steady as a rock - straight line all night.

So, I'm back in the game! Husband has reminded me though of my tendency towards 'all or nothing'.........

Have a great day, folks!

:happy:

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Done 12 miles today, did a nice walk round the hills with my daughter which was nice as she had to keep stopping for a break and I was fine :)

Reactions: 4 people

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Done 12 miles today, did a nice walk round the hills with my daughter which was nice as she had to keep stopping for a break and I was fine :)

I loved when I was out on a group walk recently that I wasn't the one who needed to stop for breaks other than the toilet break when opportunity presented. (Never say no to one of those.) Nor was I at the back doing my customary "I'll just keep an eye out and make sure everyone's here..."

The gentler couple of days pottering around house and garden is definitely the way forwards until I feel twitchy to get going again.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
11,000 steps today, and the two previous days too. Just going for a walk round the local park every day, plus walking to the shops and back with my mum.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Morning! Rest day today as my legs are a little tender....

Smashed my parkrun PB yesterday - ran the 5km in 29:19, down from 31:03. Really pleased!

Four things helped me to achieve my most enjoyable run to date:
1. Wearing my pump belt around my hips rather than my chest. Much easier to use my lungs that way!
2. Going with members of my running club (I normally go alone).
3. Having pacers! I ended up following (by surprise!) the sub-29 pacer, and didn't see the sub-30 one!
4. Being supported by a very kind runner in the last 100m or so - I'd started to speed up a little too soon, and was ready to just blow up and stagger - and he encouraged me to run fast to the finish with him, which will have compromised his own time. He was so generous, and I was so grateful.

Parkrun is just amazing - free to participate, everyone is really friendly and supportive, it's really well organised - by fabulous volunteers -, and there are all shapes, sizes and ages. I don't (to my great surprise) feel self-conscious, despite my pump bump, the pocket in my sports bra being stuffed with glucose tablets, Libre reader, car key and hankie (makes me look ever so lumpy), and my Libre sensor on my arm (or BOTH arms, depending if it's sensor change weekend!). I even wear shorts. SHORTS! Before I started parkrun I hadn't worn shorts since I was 8! And I don't even care - nobody worries about anything on that score!

More info here: http://www.parkrun.org.uk/
All over the country, 9am every Saturday. I don't go every week, but when I do, it makes me very happy!

You can run, or run and walk, or walk and run, or walk. People will encourage you all the way, and clap and cheer when you head towards the finish line. You'll be so proud.

Worried you might come last? I was worried about this the first time. But you can't come last. You CAN'T. That's the official job of the volunteer 'tail runner', who will take you under their wing and support you all the way round. And will cross the line AFTER you.

Love Snapsy X

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Snapsy. Think we're going to have to ban you from this thread and move to the regular kick ass exercise log.
PB in full diabetic kit !!!!! Find someone to hold your keys and hankie and who knows..............
Like your 4 reasons for achieving your PB. BUT surely the biggest reason for the PB is YOU.
Bask in the glory.:):):):):):):):):)

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That's good going, @Snapsy !!

I got my walking mojo back again, without having to give myself a stern talking to. Or rather, I did the stern talking to about the things I was avoiding doing... So, once they were done, walking was back on the agenda again.

If I'm feeling energetic tomorrow, there is a personal challenge to have a go at..There is a circular bus route I've used a lot in the time I've lived in this city. I've been right round it by bus several times... but walking it? All 27 miles or so? I can always bail out and get the bus home if it gets too much. Or do it over two days! I did 20 miles the other day with no ill-effects.

Reactions: 4 people

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yay mojo, @Japes - and what a fabulous challenge - I love the idea of the circular bus route walk!

@therower I think the 'fits and starts' exercise log would be a better place to evict me to! Thanks for the boost, though!

Went waaaaay low before lunch yesterday, then again for most of the night - have still got to work on the fine tuning I think. Have had a busy day today assisting the husband on a job, but have done no actual exercise, and have already planned a day tomorrow which has no swimming or running in it at all - shhhhhhhhhh.....

;)

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Lots of walking this last two days around 13k per day...felt good:)

philreeduk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all!

It is so nice to see a wonderful and supportive community here. I have been a T1 for over 20 years now but this place had escaped me until now...

I have finally decided to get my ass into gear and get healthier. I have about 20kgs I need to drop to get back into "not a fatass mode" and so far its going well! Started first with my diet and getting back into gear with eating and feeling comfortable on 1550 cals a day. Now I am starting to get back into the running side of things. I am already fairly active, easily hitting 12k steps a day but wanted to take this further. I am now 6 days a week in the gym running 3 minutes at 8.5km/h then walking at 6km/h for 3 with five repetit ions. I want to one day get to where snapsy is (awesome times by the way!) and get myself running 5k in 30 minutes. For now I am going to focus on lowering the rest times and increasing the run times.

The problem I am having is hypoing after hitting the gym, my sugars are good going into the exercise and coming out, however 1-2 hours after I am always seemingly crashing and lows after every session! Any tips to try and stop this happening would be greatly appreciated!

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Awwwwww @philreeduk , you flatter me!

I took fitness on as a project a few months after I turned 40 (I'm nearly 42 now), and it's surprising quite how much I'm enjoying it!

The bootcamp I tried was a disaster (knackered my feet), the couch to 5k I started was the same, so then I went and got some decent trainers and started, like you, treadmilling! Wanted to strengthen and build up my feet and lower legs in a safe environment, and I began to really enjoy it.

Bravely took myself to parkrun in June for the first time, and read a couple of really inspirational running books (one by Vassos Alexander and one by Alexandra Heminsley), and someone recommended that I join a running club.

I'm the least sociable person I know but somehow I found the confidence to join in and meet people - and run! Just joined the beginners' jogging group one evening a week for about an hour.

Are you on a pump? I reduce my basal rate to 50% before a run, and then because I go high afterwards, I set it to 150% for a couple hours afterwards - with lots of testing!

If I'm running first thing, I'll have a small bowl of porridge with half my normal bolus insulin (when I was still injecting I would have 1u Novorapid with 20g CHO if I was running, 2u if I wasn't).

Trial and error, and I'm still trialling (and erroring!).

The only real advice I have is to test lots, and always have glucose available. And if you feel unusual or weird or hot of your legs run out of power on that treadmill, stop and test. For me, hypos when I'm already hot and sweaty are harder to recognise! I don't often go low so soon after exercise - it's generally 8+ hours later - but I guess some starchy carbs soon after your treadmill sessions would help to stave off the hypos you're having?

Go for it, @philreeduk , but don't go too mad too quickly (I'm all or nothing, myself, and end up either knackered, hurt or idle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). Rest days are a good idea!

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome to the thread, @philreeduk !

I am sitting here with somewhat achy feet, but I am here to report I did that 27 miles!! (+ a couple more as I went ever so slightly wrong on one section of the route, the part I'm least familiar with as a bus journey, I was also ready for lunch and was trying to push myself for another 10 minutes. I should know not to do that by now! So, I had lunch, retraced my steps, and picked up the proper route again.)

I am amazed at what a difference proper hiking socks and decent boots make to doing this.

There will be a rest day tomorrow! I have an appointment 3 miles away I was going to walk to, but I will go by bus!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @philreeduk. Seems that your well on the way to achieving your goals.
Not a runner myself but i find with any exercise you need to mix it up on a regular basis. You don't need to go faster or further but just tweak the sets a bit at first, the body thrives on different challenges. 4 to 6 weeks and the body will get used to a certain routine and the benefits will start to diminish, but a little change can work wonders both physically and mentally.
As for your hypo problems it's just trial and error. Personally I would look to eat a piece of fruit after the workout. Bananas are good for me.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Morning, folks! :)

30 lengths this morning and I really enjoyed it! The pool was busy, so it was very choppy (hard work!), but I managed to squeeze in at one of the sides (I much prefer the sides to the middle, as I still only do (fast) doggy paddle alternated with my own version of backstroke, and I don't want to get in the way of all the real swimmers!). :banghead:

One day I'll learn properly - but my way still works for me - I'm very toned and I feel I'm working every muscle. My husband's family were (and one still is) swimming coaches, so I haven't really got an excuse, have I?! :joyful:

Feeling good this morning. How are your legs today, @Japes ?

:)