test strips stopped

kjc2011

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercising lol
Just had an appointment with my gp and he has stopped my gliclazide as my last hba1c was 41 don't understand as that result proves it was working he has also told me that he has also removed the test strips off repeat as don't need them and can't afford to continue to buy them each month. Why stop what was working so frustratedn

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I,m afraid that gp,s either won,t prescribe them or stop prescribing them mainly because they say type2,s Don, t need to test and also because of the cost of them. Many type 2,s on here buy the sd codefree monitor and test strips from amazon as they are the cheapest.

Reactions: 2 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
You have my sincere sympathy @kjc2011 exactly the same thing happened to me. All together now Screeeeeeam!

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I was diagnosed T1 about 2 years ago and insulin, tests strips, needles and lancets were put on repeat. I'm no longer on insulin and have been told I can't possibly be T1, possibly T2 now.

Because I have managed to get my HbA1c into the pre-diabetic range I was told I didn't need to test anymore. I insisted I needed to monitor my bg levels as I didn't want to end up with levels in the mid 20s mmol again and sustain unnecessary damage.

My DN reluctantly agreed to keep lancets and strips on my repeat script.

If a diabetic strives to keep the condition under control, avoids complications and saves the NHS money, why deny that person the very tools they need?

Reactions: 4 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just had an appointment with my gp and he has stopped my gliclazide as my last hba1c was 41 don't understand as that result proves it was working he has also told me that he has also removed the test strips off repeat as don't need them and can't afford to continue to buy them each month. Why stop what was working so frustratedn

Well - you need now to see if you can manage to keep them down to that level (which is pretty close to normal) without your gliclazide now as your GP must think this is the case if they've stopped it. Which can only be a good thing, can't it??

Regarding testing, have a look at the SD Codefree meter as the test strips are pretty cheap. You could then continue testing "under your own steam"...

Robbity