How long is Nova Rapid in your system?

GBS_82_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone

I was wondering - in people's personal experience - Nova Rapid stays in your system.

The reason I'm asking is:

- I'm trying to work out how many hours after eating / injection it is safe to correct without insulin stacking
- How long after eating / injecting can I feel free to have a carb snack and bolus for it again, without insulin stacking

Many thanks in advance for you help!

Gareth

MickyFinn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Novorapid is active or works over the course of approximately four hours, that's what I was told by my diabetes nurse any way.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine doesn't seem to last that long but I take very small doses. If I test at 2 hours and I am up I will take a small correction dose. If there is still food being digested it is not as effective than if I take it away from food which I consider 3 hours as my meals are also small.

Can't answer on the carb snack as I don't eat carbs as snacks. And very few with meals for that matter.

Someone else should be along with more knowledge in that area

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
@GBS_82_ Novorapid should last between 3-4 hours, but then as we are all different some people may metabolise it quicker than others, it's best to record your results to analyse for yourself. I sometimes find that I have to insulin stack when eating out as will tend to take insulin for what's in front of me, as long as you take the right dose for your meal/snack there is no reason why you can't do this, the real result comes later when your supplies have depleted to see if your doses were correct.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
My own experience is 3.5 hours tops.

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told 4 hours and that certainly coincides with my readings.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I find 3.5 hours but I rarely take more than 4.5 units. The more units, the longer the 'tail' of the dose.

debsugs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Mines 3.5, in the think like a pancreas book it tells you to inject and eat then start to test every 30mins (i waited till 2 hours) then when the reading level out is your active time.

tpaz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Cardio exercise
4 hours for me, and hits its peak efficacy at 2 hours. I take it at a meal or a snack, test 2 hours later and if I'm high, give myself a correction dosage then. No 'overlap' worry, because even though I'm correcting, I'm giving myself the right dosage to get to a normal range.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I use 3.5hrs as my value for bolus calculators. I also ignore the information posted about insulin stacking. As long as you make sure you know what you are doing and how it works, the DAFNE guidance on insulin stacking isn't really correct.

Reactions: 2 people

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I also sometimes make small corrections after 2 hours if necessary, ignoring insulin stacking rules, but if I start to spike, or (and I think this is better if its possible) I go for a quick walk to stop the spike. But if you are having a bout of insulin resistance the stacking rules are important because the resistance can suddenly abate and you seem to get hit by all that insulin floating round in your system and it's a quick descent to hypo city. I found this out (again, how many times will I learn this?) after a week's stress-induced IR in Turkey in the post-coup witch hunt recently. I got a week of highs, followed by overnight hypos, then a roller coaster when I got out and back to UK, which took a while to stabilize.

So, like all 'rules' the insulin-stacking rules apply under some conditions but not others IME.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Just been looking up acting times for pumps.....

Theres an aricle on net http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4454113/
from research for pumps that states acting time is recommended to be 4.5 to 6.5 hours...
My nurse was adamant when restting pump that it went to 4 hrs. I told her it was too long but she was adamant. I went hypo first night from it stacking up in my body.

I definitely find 5 hours is better for me.

It definitely corrects more precisely for me. I used to be impatient but I was initially told by my first consultant that I should be back to target level by 5 hours as well. This recent nurse said it was 4 hours for that as well.... Not so for me. I would actually be happy setting mine at 51/2hours and monitoring this further at the moment. Previously I thought my acting time was 3.5hoyrs but scrilutinising this detail for 4 weeks solid due to the amount of occlusions I'm getting I know 5 hours is the minimum for me.

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would say peak is about 45min for me, and usually finished within 2 hours.

TeamBeal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It says upto 4hours but we were told that you can inject insulin every 2 hours and that's what we do for our son and he's not had a problem. Some meals with rice he's needed the extra insulin after 2 hours as he's still digesting it and the Novarapid has peaked and isn't as effective but usually it's rather effective.
Hope you find your groove xx