the hypo doctors aren't sure was a hypo

ailsa12

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please forgive the strange name but I am curious to see if anyone else has had a similar experience.

I took my BG's before i went to bed they were 8.6. happy they were fine for the night I went to bed. I could sleep and was feeling hungry so got up and check again 5.5. this is too low for sleep so I ate 18g carb and went back to bed. this was at 00:25. I woke later feeling too hot. sitting up in bed I relised i was hypo. went down to check again. feel so hypo i can not even explain. went to check my BGs.

next thing I know I wake up on the floor. things that were on the table scattered around next to me. I am slumped against a wall still feeling hypo. I call out for help and my sister comes. I check my Bg's the are are 8.6. not hypo.

I think I might have been out for as long as half an hour. not sure all a bit fuzzy. called 999 and ended up at hospital.lots of test but sugars still high. some dr think I had a bad hypo and self corrected as I didn't eat anything at all. but the diabetes consultant I saw says not.

basically I was wondering if anyone else had heard of this happening or has it happened to them?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Heya @ailsa12 - sounds very much like a hypo to me, when you tested with your sister your bg levels would of come up from the carbs you had eaten earlier, but sounds like they took a while to take hold and pull you out of your hypo.

Do you know why you had dropped to start with, so too much quick acting with last meal, or basal dose too high ? What carbs had you eaten to bring you up from 5.5 ?

Maybe someone someone else will have a similar experience but as hypos can leave you feeling disorientated as well as waking from sleep this could of confused you in treating your hypo, I hope this doesn't happen again though.

ailsa12

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Heya @ailsa12 - sounds very much like a hypo to me, when you tested with your sister your bg levels would of come up from the carbs you had eaten earlier, but sounds like they took a while to take hold and pull you out of your hypo.

Do you know why you had dropped to start with, so too much quick acting with last meal, or basal dose too high ? What carbs had you eaten to bring you up from 5.5 ?

Maybe someone someone else will have a similar experience but as hypos can leave you feeling disorientated as well as waking from sleep this could of confused you in treating your hypo, I hope this doesn't happen again though.
I hadent eated anything from comeing to check feeling hypo and waking iup on the floor. the thing that is cinfusing the dr is that I ate 2 hours before when I was 5.5 (18g carb) and this woukd normaly see me thought the night

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
It's incredibly hard to analyse this, obviously I am not a health care professional, but from the point of view that we are supposed to avoid hypos at night, I would suggest maybe going to bed slightly higher tonight and calling your DSN tomorrow to run through this sequence of events with them, as it needs to be understood to avoid a repeat event from occurring. Take care ;)

ailsa12

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's incredibly hard to analyse this, obviously I am not a health care professional, but from the point of view that we are supposed to avoid hypos at night, I would suggest maybe going to bed slightly higher tonight and calling your DSN tomorrow to run through this sequence of events with them, as it needs to be understood to avoid a repeat event from occurring. Take care ;)
I am not risking anything tonight, it will be three hoursly cheeck and probs aim for 10 osh before bed, myy crontaol is noramly dead tight so one night wont hurt it

ailsa12

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am not risking anything tonight, it will be three hoursly cheeck and probs aim for 10 osh before bed, myy crontaol is noramly dead tight so one night wont hurt it
am also getting check on my heart incase it wasnt. felt so unbelivenly hypo though

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Please also trust your intuition on this, it's your health so you should know better than anyone else what you experienced ;)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @ailsa12
this might be a factor -- not sure
what long acting insulin do you take ? and at what time ?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Please forgive the strange name but I am curious to see if anyone else has had a similar experience.

I took my BG's before i went to bed they were 8.6. happy they were fine for the night I went to bed. I could sleep and was feeling hungry so got up and check again 5.5. this is too low for sleep so I ate 18g carb and went back to bed. this was at 00:25. I woke later feeling too hot. sitting up in bed I relised i was hypo. went down to check again. feel so hypo i can not even explain. went to check my BGs.

next thing I know I wake up on the floor. things that were on the table scattered around next to me. I am slumped against a wall still feeling hypo. I call out for help and my sister comes. I check my Bg's the are are 8.6. not hypo.

I think I might have been out for as long as half an hour. not sure all a bit fuzzy. called 999 and ended up at hospital.lots of test but sugars still high. some dr think I had a bad hypo and self corrected as I didn't eat anything at all. but the diabetes consultant I saw says not.

basically I was wondering if anyone else had heard of this happening or has it happened to them?
Hi,

Just reading through the thread so far...

Do you "sleep walk"? Or had a history of sleep walking..??

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It could also be blood pressure, if you got up quickly in the night it's not unusual for your blood pressure to drop like a stone. This can lead to very hypo-like symptoms and loss of consciousness

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've had hypos before when I haven't really been conscious of the fact that I am eating, leading to harmless but hilariously odd combinations of food - you may have gone on autopilot and eaten without realising. My uncle stole a coke from a stall at a market and sat surrounding by policemen drinking it until his wife came along to explain he was t1 with a severe hypo and would pay for the coke and be responsive again in a while!

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
I have heard from someone of going into a coma and waking up because her body self corrected with glycogen. It's never happened to me as far as i'm aware. If your control is good and it felt like a hypo then it was either a hypo or something worse. Trust yourself.

tpaz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Cardio exercise
As @1abRat has mentioned, low blood pressure symptoms are very similar to having a hypo. I've had low blood pressure episodes where I've felt hungry but nauseous, shaky, unwell, headache, dizzy and a little out of it. Very similar to how I feel during a hypo.

debsugs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I think the dr is wise to not put it down to a hypo, something could be missed, like low blood pressure, and do we not always feel they put everything down to diabetes!!

ailsa12

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
they did lots of blood pressure tests in hosptial. i know i didn't eat as I had no crumbs packets ect. with me on the floor when I woke up. I having some tests on my heart to check that out, but since I have felt really not well. light headed and super slow on my feet ect. its all been quitw strange and I' hopinh to feel like me again soon!

MeganFatch

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Poor you. It's horrible going through this kind of thing.
I've had some night hypos where I think by body responded by releasing some sugar and resulting in a higher reading a few hours later than I'd expected! It's a bit frustrating to be high after carefully trying to correct my sugars and not eat everything in sight!
But another thing to consider might be epilepsy. I've heard from a few others that they were first assumed to be diabetic hypos but later realised they had epilepsy also, and were able to manage them with medication.