Anonymous Question Holidays, Anxiety and T1

Anonymous Question

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello
1f642.png
I'm just after some advice really. My partner has suffered with type 1 diabetes for 20 years. He moderately keeps it under control day to day with the odd up and down spells. He's recently come back from a holiday two days early after having extremely high ketones in his blood which the doctor has later said is mainly from a viral infection. We plan to go to Florida next week and due to the anxiety of the last trip and how bad his diabetes was, he's having second thoughts about the holiday which I completely understand. I was just wondering if you could give any advice that maybe could make him feel better or for me to support him to know that all will be ok on the holidays? I'm not sure if the extreme heat and sunny conditions will make his blood sugars worse but just after a few things I can say or help with. Thanks xxx

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Vacations and food cause anxiety for me too. Now we try to stay in a hotel with a refrigerator so we don't have to eat out so often. Generally BF and either lunch or dinner are eaten in the hotel out near the pool. Then I only have one meal to figure out. Takes away a lot of anxiety knowing I can keep at least two meals a day right. Vacations WERE for eating and drinking. Times have changed a bit.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Taking the right kit for any situation makes me feel better. Have you got everything that could be needed?

Louise2016

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm the same, I have a holiday planned in 3 weeks but a few months ago a day out ended with DKA due to an u known bladder infection and 24hrs in hospital. I agree with above, make sure he has all the kit he needs, ketone strips for urine and blood strips which are more accurate and a thermometer to check for signs of infections. Phone your diabetes nurse and go through sick day rules. Knowing what to do if you are unwell and having the kit to tear yourself will help. My GP has given me broad spectrum antibiotics to take with me and start taking of I get infection symptoms such as high temp and ketones. Also knowing your loved ones know what to do helps too.

lisacp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am going to Florida on Tuesday I have though a lot about how I am going to manage my sugars. I have bought two of the libra sensors so that I can keep track of my blood sugars easily whilst going around the parks. Are you going to the parks? I use an insulin pump but my DSN has given me pens to use whilst at the water parks. I have a letter from Accu-Chek explaining that I cannot remove the pump for longer than one hour as some rides would affect the pump. I will also try to resist the food portions and pancakes but I'm not feeling very confident. good luck and have a good time. X