Feeling down.

Charlie84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all. This is my first post. I am newly diagnosed type 1 and I'm now controlling my own insulin. But I am feeling really down about eating. I have an app and a book and some good digital scales but family had a take away and I couldn't measure what carbs are in it so ended up not having it. Just all the weighing testing my blood working my insulin out before I can even have anything to eat is just seeming like a big chore and getting me down more that I first thought. Am I being ott and over dramatic or did anyone else feel like this? I know it's supposed to get easier but right now it isn't. X

Reactions: 4 people

6cats

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am T2 diagnosed in March. On meds etc. Big birthday this week big BBQ, big cake all for me but...... I can't really touch it. If I do I will pay for it! I totally understand how you feel about. I guess its still early days and we will learn to deal with it but you are not alone! X

Reactions: 2 people

Charlie84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you for your reply it's not nice to feel this way but it's nice to know that I'm not alone on how I feel and that people in the same position understand. I recently had a family bbq and big birthday celebration where I couldn't have the cake which I got made but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be I sat there with a yogurt! Haha I a have a very supportive family around me and hope you have too but it's nice to have people around you that are going through the experiences around you too. X

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Morning @Charlie84
welcome to the forum :)

when you are newly diagnosed it is totally overwhelming at first -- there is so much to remember and think of and affects everything we do , eating , sleeping , exercising , work , leisure activities.
so the way you are feeling with the food is completely normal.

my best bit of advice is to remember that you are learning how to look after yourself in real time so your experience can only happen 1 day at a time.
try to be kind to yourself.

It will definitely get easier and you will figure out how to know whar carbs you are injecting for.
one of the best books / apps for figuring out what you are eating is called carbs and cals
link here https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carbs-Cals...&sr=8-1&keywords=carbs+and+cals+for+diabetics

this book is great because it gives pictures of the food on a plate with all the carb info -- and it does a lot of portion sizes so you can tell pretty close -- especially good for takeaway type food such as curry or fish and chips-- LOL

Reactions: 5 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi all. This is my first post. I am newly diagnosed type 1 and I'm now controlling my own insulin. But I am feeling really down about eating. I have an app and a book and some good digital scales but family had a take away and I couldn't measure what carbs are in it so ended up not having it.

Ah that's a shame.

With takeaways it's quite difficult to judge the carb value and it can be a case of trial & error, it's best to underestimate the carb value and correct later if necessary, once you know how much insulin you needed for that particular meal you can keep a record of it and use it on another occasion.

An example, if we have a Chinese we tend to stick with the same takeaway as I know the portion sizes are the same and know from previous experiences how much insulin I need to take, but one thing you need to keep in mind when eating takeaway food is the fat content, if a meal has a high fat content it can slow down the absorption of the food and your insulin may peak too soon, many of us split-dose for such meals to avoid hypo's/hyper's later on, your DSN should be able to explain this in more detail and advise accordingly.

Am I being ott and over dramatic or did anyone else feel like this? I know it's supposed to get easier but right now it isn't. X

Of course, being diagnosed with diabetes is life changing as there's so much information and advice to take in, but don't worry it does get easier over time,

Reactions: 5 people

Charlie84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you all so much. Your experiences and advice is definitely appreciated and taken on board it has made me feel better reading all the comments. So big thank you xx

Reactions: 3 people