Diabetic teenagers

Chloe_robbo02

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi ,I'm chloe and I'm 14 years old. I would just like to tell you something that I experience a lot.

Well whenever I go to town or where ever out in public ,and I go low and sit down (on the floor if no seats around) I always seem to get people walking past giving me dirty look and just yesterday I had someone come to me and ask what was wrong so I explained the situation ,that I felt low and that I was doing my blood levels and the reply I had from him shocked me ,he said 'diabetes is only brought on by people who can't look after themselves and you deserve it'!! I was horrified by it.

I understand people don't understand but to make someone feel so down about themselves is wrong !!

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry you had that happen to you @Chloe_robbo02 . Silly people make silly comments - we all know that that was a very foolish comment & 100% factually incorrect. It's not worth wasting another moment thinking about the opinion of a silly person who would ever think its appropriate to make that sort of comment to a teenage girl in the street who had said they were feeling unwell. You did the right thing stopping to deal with your blood sugar, and the right thing explaining the situation to this person. You should feel really proud of yourself for dealing with the situation that well. But apart from that, don't give it another thought, you have bigger, better things to think about :)

GBS_82_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Chloe_robbo02

So sorry that someone has said this to you. I wish I could tell you that as you get older people stop making stupid comments, but I'm afraid they don't. However, for every person that says something unkind there will be 5 who are lovely.

By dealing with something has potentially difficult as type 1 diabetes as a teenager means you are already a strong person! Keep going and learn to laugh at people's ignorance. It is them that have the problem not you.

Gareth x

Reactions: 3 people

Elc1112

Hi Chloe,

Unfortunately, you will always come across these people who think they know it all. I didn't deal well with my diabetes when I was a teenage at all. The fact that you are dealing with it the way you are says a lot about you. Don't let the narrow minded idiots make you feel otherwise.

I'm now in my 30s and currently pregnant with my first baby. I had a woman tell me just the other day that diabetics shouldn't have babies. Let's just say the pregnant hormone monster did not take well to that! Didn't help that the monster was fuelled by lack of sleep, struggling with the heat, and literally waiting for the baby to arrive. Sounds like you dealt with the silly comments much better than I did! :)

Keep your head held high. You're doing a great job.

Em x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi ,I'm chloe and I'm 14 years old. I would just like to tell you something that I experience a lot.

Well whenever I go to town or where ever out in public ,and I go low and sit down (on the floor if no seats around) I always seem to get people walking past giving me dirty look and just yesterday I had someone come to me and ask what was wrong so I explained the situation ,that I felt low and that I was doing my blood levels and the reply I had from him shocked me ,he said 'diabetes is only brought on by people who can't look after themselves and you deserve it'!! I was horrified by it.

I understand people don't understand but to make someone feel so down about themselves is wrong !!

Hi, off course it's an awful thing to say to anyone, it's shocking that people think it is okay to talk to another in this way, they are so rude, ill informed and crass individuals who know absolutely nothing about diabetes.
Take care, hold your head up high and carry on doing what you need to do to keep yourself healthy and in good control.
Take care x

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, you met a silly muggle (=non-diabetic). This one could go in the thread about 'stupid things people have said to me'.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

prancer53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Professionals who know little about diabetes who generalise!!

Sounds like he was a bit of a fruit & nut case--I suggest you forget about it

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I would have got pretty angry if that had happened to me and probably offered violence to the perpetrator:) When injecting or testing in public I often find people staring and I typically ask them if they've got a problem or what are you staring at in an aggressive tone. 99% of the time they scurry off, probably thinking i'm a heroin addict!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would have got pretty angry if that had happened to me and probably offered violence to the perpetrator:) When injecting or testing in public I often find people staring and I typically ask them if they've got a problem or what are you staring at in an aggressive tone. 99% of the time they scurry off, probably thinking i'm a heroin addict!
Lunch break at work the other week, whilst testing before a bolus. A colleague came in the room to make a cuppa. My blood letting caught his attention & as I applied the drop he said "AIDS test?"
"Yes!" I replied in a cheery almost camp voice tinged with dark irony, "but it's the good AIDS caught from sharing needles. You're not my type at all.."
"I still haven't kicked the habit though I'm afraid." As I dialled a dose & rammed it into my stomach..

I hold no grudge. Just a bit of work banter....

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Ha! What a berk. Very useful though in that you can instantly consign that goon to the Absolute Git List. If you don't have one do start one; they're very handy.

flojo1234

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Chloe, I'm also a Chloe ( the best people are ;) )
I'm 18 years old and have been diabetic since I was 10. I am now on a insulin pump but when I used to inject I used to have people staring at me (adults more than children) and I used to be made to inject in my primary school toilet so i wasn't in the way (that soon stopped after my diabetic nurse found out!) when i moved to secondary school i dropped in to a hypo and asked if i could leave the lesson to go to the first aid office as that was what i had been told to do by my diabetic nurse. My teacher then told me i was not allowed and that in future i should arrange my diabetic treatment outside of lessons. As you can imagine that did not go down well with my parents and consultants!
Since having the pump i have often been asked to hand over my 'phone' when i have had it out in class and i took great joy in explaining how i couldn't because it was attached to me.
The ignorant person who said this comment to you is obviously very poorly educated and has nothing better to do with their life. yes, we may be diabetic but at least were not ignorant ********s!
I Hope your sugars settle down, my sugars are only just beginning to settle at this age (probably due to hormones) but there is some light at the end of the tunnel, just keep going!
chloe x

qe5rt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Whenever i hear something like this i remember what George Carlin said: "Think about how stupid the average person is and then realize that half of them are stupider than that." You've had an unfortunate encounter with a member of the stupider half.