Dangerous to be in hospital

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I must admit private hospitals tend to be much better on insulin management. I've had three operations in the last 6 years all with general anaesthetic. At all stages my insulin management was discussed with me and my insulin was left with me to manage. My blood sugar was measured frequently before and after each operation and I was asked by both the surgeon, nurses and anaesthetist whether my diabetes management was OK; they were concerned to get it right. Faultless to be honest. Sadly the NHS apparently isn't as good.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have to disagree about poor treatment for people with diabetes treated with insulin, who need treatment in NHS hospitals. In over 20 years since diagnosis, I've had 2 inpatient admissions, both to Addenbrookes Hospital in Cambridge. First time was when a careless car driver opened his door without looking, resulting in a 9cm gash in my left upper arm, followed by 2 nights in hospital, because A&E doctor declined my suggestion to clean ans suture wound under local anaesthetic and referred me to plastics team, who kep having more srious injuries to treat. Ward nurses (on a gynae ward!) were so keen to monitor my blood sugar, that combination of 2 hourly checks for blood sugar and blood pressure, not at the same time, resulted in being exhausted to the point of tears after 2 nights, before surgery under general anaesthetic and then getting home after late lunch. Second admission was day case keyhole surgery to investigate knee injury (damaged posterior cruciate ligament, caused by falling down a cattle grid when putting out signs for a cycle race in the dark), which was efficient. Both times, anaesthetist came to see me and discuss how to manage my blood glucose levels, insulin etc. I have no plans for any future treatment, in fact, recently my frozen shoulder resolved between meeting surgeon and planned surgery date, but I hope for similar approach if I ever find myself in hospital in Leeds or elsewhere. I'd choose NHS over private always, as while privacy is nice, safety of being in a multi-bedded ward is more important.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Last night I tried to get a friend seen by mental health and admiited after she took an overdose of pills. It was a 3-4 hour wait for ambulance. I was advised to take her in.
I explained that it was unlikely with a packed A&E entrance that I would be anle to get her to walk thru the doors...
I got her to the doors and she refused... I went to desk and they refused to book her in unless she went to the desk.
I ended up taking her back to my place, phoning 999 again who again told me to take her in as there was a 3-4 hour wait for ambulances.
I tried. Had to get someone else involved that wasn't ideal but at least got her in.
She was evaluated and released, the other person involved was held back intentionally by the mental health team. In the mean time she pretty much did a runner, went missing. I had to ho back to the receptionist in A&E who did nothing.
I was asking people who came in -had they seen her?
Some had heard a commotion in the car park.. It was her being ill with this other person. I was advised to call security. I had to ask receptionist to do it as she had refused earlier and I had to state to receptionist if she threw herself off the carpark then the hospital would be to blame.
Security arrived and couldn't do anything because the hospital had discharged her!
I had to get another person involved, and I was at the point of phoning police when my hubby and the security managed to persuade her to get into our car and for me to drop hubby home and then drive her home and stay with her..

This could have turned fatal. Fortunately it didn't but it wasn't due to good NHS care. It was thanks to friends and patients attending A&E..

She and her family have asked for her to be admitted but no.... Her family (with young children) and friends along with a community nurse and diazepam are the course of treatment...

This is after my friend and family have asked for admittance for her safety...

I am appalled at the actions last night and still on going today...

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Always best to check all medication when in Hospital wether it be for Diabetes or any other medical problem. Glad all is sorted for you...I was in Hospital when I was pregnant and trying to save my baby when a staff nurse came and game me some tablets I asked what arethese for , she replied they are your tablets I said sorry they not mine better check whose they are...they were for a patient in the next bay who was dying of cancer...I mean realy it is important to check

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Always best to check all medication when in Hospital wether it be for Diabetes or any other medical problem. Glad all is sorted for you...I was in Hospital when I was pregnant and trying to save my baby when a staff nurse came and game me some tablets I asked what arethese for , she replied they are your tablets I said sorry they not mine better check whose they are...they were for a patient in the next bay who was dying of cancer...I mean realy it is important to check
I remember my mother many years ago being in the Whittington hospital for cancer and she had to tell the nurses that they had mixed up the tablets and were giving several patients the wrong ones. Yes, always check.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Omg!!
Funny last night my hubby said that I had better write down my meds and regimes that I have...as he has now lost track... And he would not trust to know as none of my consultants talk to each other and as our City hospital as so many other units miles away then he could not rely upon a diabetic nurse to be called from our outer community building for diabetes.

Quite scarey really..

sugarybibs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
moaning people who have nothing wrong with them
After having severe diarrhoea for 5 weeks I ended up in hospital severely dehydrated and put straight on a drip. My eyes were really opened at the very basic knowledge of diabetes care by some of the staff. I was put on a Gastroenterologist ward, fortunately a room of my own. Had many tests and basically on fluid drip all the time I was in for 12 days with no diagnosis.

The diabetic nurse came to see me and suggested how much insulin I should take and also for my long acting, however I was eating nothing and if I did it came straight out Why would I give myself insulin and probably go into hypo, ignored advice. The nurse kept coming in with syringe full of insulin about 12 units I told them I would manage my diabetes myself .

This is the thing that really worried me. I was told I had to be nil by mouth as I was going to have a Gammer scan (where you swallow a capsule and are scanned 3 hours later) I had not eaten or drank anything for 13 hours, I was given a leaflet telling me what I had done and it said YOU HAVE BEEN NIL BY MOUTH FOR FOUR HOURS etc I asked the nurse why I had been NBM for 13 hours given I was an insulin dependant diabetic when I only needed to be for 4 hours. I was furious, by now it was 3pm I had not eaten for 15 hours managed half a sandwich then was told at 6pm was nil by mouth again for another test the following morning. I refused asked to see the doctor and told him I was discharging myself due to the fact I did not feel safe and no one had taken into consideration my diabetes.

The nurse that looked after me most of the time was really interested to learn about diabetes and asked me lots of questions and how I injected my self, it seems their training is very basic.

I made a complaint to the Chief Executive of the hospital raising my concerns at the lack of knowledge of how to treat a diabetic and our different needs. It's very worrying you may come out worse than when you went in.

I had a total knee replacement in April last year. Took all necessary insulin, testing strips and needles with me. When I got there, they confiscated my insulin, and brought it at meal Times and wanted to give me my injection without a blood test. Made a big fuss, and two days later was given it back, when I promptly discharged myself

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
my dad was given the wrong medication - swapped with the man in the next bed. Dad survived, the other man died in the night...
Dad questioned the nurse about the different pills, but accepted that his medication must have been changed. He was bright red with all the veins in his neck standing out, as it was a heart stimulant he took.

Linda_N

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had a bad angina attack that wouldn't stop, so called an ambulance. Admitted to cardiac care ward and was looked after by a lovely team of nurses. They did bs regularly, but the second evening they went into a huddle talking very quietly among themselves. When I asked what the problem was they told me my latest bs was 5.4 and they were worried about it going down too low overnight. I actually laughed at them and told them it wouldn't happen because the liver dump would take care of that, which it did, but I would let them know if I felt funny. I then spent the next half hour explaining things they didn't know about diabetes and recommended this site, so there should be a team of nurses in Kettering General that know more than most.

My medication was adjusted to help my heart, and I was taken off the statin. I also started being more strict with myself and have cut back on as many carbs as possible. My angina attacks have gradually decreased, too slowly for me to attribute it to the increased medication, but more likely due to the change in diet. All I have to do now is see my GP and see if I can get free test strips. No good asking the DN because she always says no.

Reactions: ME_Valentijn

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
All I have to do now is see my GP and see if I can get free test strips. No good asking the DN because she always says no.

Just curious - how much do Test strips cost where you live. In Canada 100 strips is 80 CAD = 49.25 GBP. My health insurance covers it but I do have to get a prescription for it in order to cover the costs. Sometimes when I'm late refilling the prescription I just pay out of pocket - but I find 80.00 CAD = 49.25 GBP is rather expensive.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just curious - how much do Test strips cost where you live. In Canada 100 strips is 80 CAD = 49.25 GBP. My health insurance covers it but I do have to get a prescription for it in order to cover the costs. Sometimes when I'm late refilling the prescription I just pay out of pocket - but I find 80.00 CAD = 49.25 GBP is rather expensive.

It varies a lot according to the meter used. Anything from around £7-50 for 50 up to £25 plus for 50.

Linda_N

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I use codefree which cost abt £50 for 10 packs of 50. The one issued by the DN was CareSens N and 50 strips cost £15.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Diabetes UK (most years) run an audit called NaDIA (National Diabetes Inpatient Audit) to try and capture these kinds of problems.

However the audit is only one day of one week each year, so they obviously miss a lot of good and bad situations.

It might be worth contacting Diabetes UK is you have a story about poor in patient care because it is all ammunition in the campaign to improve in patient care.

PM me if you have any problems getting someone to listen.

asortafairytale

DWED Support
Staff Member
I arrived for an inpatient stay on an eating disorder unit only to find they had no needles to give my insulin. They put me on a tube feed with no short acting insulin at all, ended up close to DKA and waking up with sugars off the scale, and on top of that was denied any extra water as that was a ward rule for new admissions.
The whole stay was just horrendous and traumatising to be honest. I find it hard to think about.
It's just horrible when you feel more unsafe in a place that is supposed to be taking care of you. I am sorry you experienced this.

Growyourflow

Hello Lady M,

I hope you are doing better! What are you doing now to help manage your disease state? Of course stories like this repeat themselves over and over again and we as consumers and patients must be more accountable for our health.

J

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My wife is not diabetic but takes quite a lot of medication for various problems she has had over the last 10 years. She recently had to have an operation with a general anesthetic. About a month before the operation she had to attend the hospital to ensure she was ok to have the operation/anesthetic with her conditions. The previous appointment finished and we had to wait 45mins to see the anesthetist, who apologized for the wait and said I had to read your notes, indicating the large file on her desk. This all seemed very thorough and sensible. My question is: don't they always do this, wouldn't the fact that you a diabetic come up at this type of consultation and suitable arrangements be made for your care when admitted?