Type 1 and anxiety

Louise2016

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone, I'm type 1 diabetic and also have Addison's disease (I don't produce cortisol and take daily steroid medication to regulate the hormones I lack) I have battled anxiety and depression alongside that on and off for years. This latest bad bout I think is having a negative effect on my sugars, they seem to be all over the place and the worry is just making things worse. Does anyone else have any tips for dealing with sugars and anxiety problems? I would normally do mealtime fasts to check my basal insulin rates but am being advised to eat little and often to help the anxiety.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @Louise2016
welcome to the forum

it sounds like you are in the wars right now :(
are you speaking with your DSN for some support ?

do keep posting and we will get you some people along to support

big hugs [[[[[[hugs]]]]]

Louise2016

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Louise2016
welcome to the forum

it sounds like you are in the wars right now :(
are you speaking with your DSN for some support ?

do keep posting and we will get you some people along to support

big hugs [[[[[[hugs]]]]]

Thanks, yes I've emailed my DNS and getting family support when they can. I think partly because I'm worrying more arm I've fallen into the trap we call fire fighting when you keep correcting all the time so you end up with no idea what's going on. Will wait and see where the nurse suggests I start. I am curious how many other suffer with their anxiety too, I'm sure it's more common amount people with a lifelong condition.

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

Louise2016

Type of diabetes
Type 1

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
the firefighting you speak of -- like you are continually chasing your highs and lows in a never ending cycle -- and if you're BG's are really up and down -- it can be called yo-yoing and is dangerous. ( i realise I am preaching to the converted )
definitely tell your DSN you are fire fighting ( be honest ).

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Heya @Louise2016 Sorry to hear of your anxiety problems. I find a few things help me when I feel anxious, firstly talking, get it out of your system, it is almost like a pressure cooker effect, but getting it out can lessen the burden, also try exercise, so whatever you feel you are capable of doing that get's the endorphins flowing, swimming for a gentle exercise or walks also help. There is alot to cope with mentally in having any medical condition, with type 1 I find keeping good blood glucose levels helps as it is less challenging mentally too in fluctuating high and low all the time, it's like striking a balance. It sounds like the little and often eating pattern is causing your 'fire fighting' issue, maybe try and give yourself a 3 hour window before next food so you can see a good reflection of what you have eaten and how your BG levels have responded ?

Sending you a big hug, I know what it's like when it gets you down, so I hope you get the support you need and keep talking x

Reactions: 4 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Louise2016 :)

I really, really second the advice to talk to someone about your anxiety. It sounds a trivial thing to do when you're really stressed but it helps so much to get things off your chest - like releasing a pressure valve.

I had a really stressful time a couple of years ago, and I found my routine went out the window. It was like a domino effect. This messed up my control, my food planning - everything.

What I found helped was to simplify things eg pick from half a dozen simple/safe evening meals. I also tried to sort one meal at a time with my blood sugars and setting up a good routine.

Be kind to yourself - that's also important advuce. It sounds daft, but it helps a lot.

Take care X

Reactions: 4 people