One for the ladies! What was your hba1c when you got pregnant?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @wannabemammy :)

Mine was 33. Have you spoken to your DSN about your HbA1C?

I was told HbA1C should ideally be 48 or under, but I know one lady was close to that but not quite there when she conceived (I think she was 51 or similar).

Is there any particular time in the day where you have trouble with highs? Are you on a pump?

wannabemammy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Not on a pump, I asked for it at the pre conception clinic but they said i would only be going backwards!im usually ok during the day it's the night time after dinner I usually spike and sometimes during the night. Im so low about it! Back in clinic next Thursday , I had the Libre for the last month but found it to be inconsistent. When it was recording lows my BG was in range on an ordinary monitor so now I'm petrified it will have increased!

Reactions: Catherine4188

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I haven't used a Libre or any CGM, but perhaps you could ask if they had a Dexcom CGM you could borrow if the Libre wasn't as accurate as you hoped?

I can't understand their comment about a pump. Maybe they mean it'll take you a while to get used to it and get your doses right? But it'd be great for pregnancy too. I found my pump was the only way to get my basal right.

When you say you spike after dinner, do you mean at two hours after? If you do, you could try bolusing more in advance of your meal so that the insulin is working in time to stop/reduce the spike. If you mean your BS is rising before bed, then perhaps your team could look at your basal amounts and timings?

I know it must be really frustrating when you're working so hard {{hug}} Keep pushing for the help and tools you need to get it down - whether that be a change in your basal, your dinner ratio, or whatever.

Another idea is maybe having a slightly earlier dinner. I don't know what time you eat, but if I eat too late I find my blood sugar is harder to control.

wannabemammy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for the advice azure! Having a low moment so your advice right now really helps! Yes they said if I was to go on the pump it would hinder my progress as I wouldn't know how to use it. That was back in April and I haven't progressed much myself! I will definitely bring up the dexcom next week xx

Reactions: 2 people

Toriroge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I went to my clinic a few weeks ago as I want to start a family in the next few years. Hba1c was 60 and the nurse said they would want that to come down before I thought about falling pregnant!
I am as far as I know going to be referred for a pump to help keep sugars more level , which will help as I have the dawn phenomenon ( otherwise injections around 4 in the morning without pump)
I do know a girl that fell pregnant without getting hers down as the baby was a surprise and I believe she got all the advice and bought her sugars down quickly after finding out( I know it's not the 'rightway' and now has a healthy 2 year old!
Good luck xx

jade88

Hi wannabemammy I was given the green light at 53 but as soon as I fell pregnant it started to decrease because I was extra strict and constantly testing! By the time I gave birth it was down to 38! You'll be amazed at the motivation you will have once your pregnant! I know it's disheartening when you desperate to start trying and have to hold off but will so so worth the wait and all the hard work! xxx

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My hba1c was 90 in November and after some harsh truths from my DSN I managed to get it down to 48 by my next appointment 3 months later where I was given the green light. I got pregnant 3 months later and am now 18 weeks and my hba1c is 38.

I think for me knowing that I have a little baby inside me relying on me to keep stable blood sugars makes it easier for me to keep them down. I'm not on a pump either, just levemir and novorapid injections.

Good luck xx

wannabemammy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Wow, your stories are an inspiration!! You have all done so well to reduce your numbers. Hope I can do the same! Ellie_Wilko I can't believe you reduced your hba1c so quickly by so much!

kitty55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
Sorry I only do old numbers and my hba1c was 6 when I went through my 3rd IVF cycle. I'm 40+1 now and was in 5.5 - 5.8 all through my pregnancy with the help of my pump and libre. Good luck everyone! xx

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Wow, your stories are an inspiration!! You have all done so well to reduce your numbers. Hope I can do the same! Ellie_Wilko I can't believe you reduced your hba1c so quickly by so much!

I know I think it was definitely the harsh truth I got at that first appointment that made me knuckle down and stick to it. If I'm being honest, I don't actually find it difficult to control anymore. My dietician has been so good helping me change my carb ratio where needed so as long as I stick to that, nothing really goes wrong!

I also like to keep a rough check on it using the average reading function on my monitor and then using an hba1c calculator on the diabetes website! Give it a go and see what yours says xx

Ali2003io

When I got pregnant my diabetes was not under control; only double figures (good day 12) and my h1bc was 12,5 but since I got pregnant I lowered all my readings, managing to the take them all down to max 6, and the h1bc went down from 10.5 to 9.1 in only one week and I have another blood test probably these week when I ve got the antenatal clinic so quite happy specially because at 12 weeks scan my baby looks healthy...what else can I ask for?

Amy.W

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was given a bit of a warning about dropping your bloods too quickly as it can have a terrible affect on your eyes. You will get there. Xxx

Elc1112

Mine was 43 when we conceived. Dropped down to 30 during pregnancy. I think the advice I was given was that it should, ideally, be below 53. Talk to your doctor or DSN, though :)

Kellyx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Not sure if this will be extremely helpful and I'm not recommending anything but myself and my partner were not planning for a baby so it was a shock when I found out I was expecting my first worry was that my hba1c would not have been low enough I straight away took control and got my blood sugars down as much as I could I got blood tests down my average was about 8.1 so not exactly ideal for conceiving BUT everything is going well so far so good. As I said at the beginning I don't suggest this to anyone but sometimes things are meant to be no matter what :) X