Type 1: High and normal

Paulgrayston

why is it my blood sugar was between 7 and 10.2 for a couple of days now it's gone up to 14. had normal breakfast every day?

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Paulgrayston A higher morning reading could be due to Dawn Phenomenon or 'Liver Dump' where your liver dumps stored glucose into your blood stream in the morning to get you going for the day. Non-diabetics can get that too.

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
why is it my blood sugar was between 7 and 10.2 for a couple of days now it's gone up to 14. had normal breakfast every day?

Do you count carbs?

When exactly did you do the blood tests you've mentioned above eg before eating, two hours after?

Paulgrayston

Do you count carbs?

When exactly did you do the blood tests you've mentioned above eg before eating, two hours after?
I only have carb in morning might have 2 slices of toast or oats from Holland and barret or wheataBix 2 biscuits. I have to use leviMar in morning when I wake up and test my self. then before breakfast Novo rapid also test. then about 2 to 4 hours after. I get told different things from 2 different diabetic nurses.

oopsie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi & welcome, Im on a low carb diet & just the 2 slices of toast (has to be at least 50 depending on what bread) is 2/3 days worth of carbs alone to me. The body converts most carbohydrates into glucose (sugar) so maybe this is 1 reason for your readings.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I only have carb in morning might have 2 slices of toast or oats from Holland and barret or wheataBix 2 biscuits. I have to use leviMar in morning when I wake up and test my self. then before breakfast Novo rapid also test. then about 2 to 4 hours after. I get told different things from 2 different diabetic nurses.

Sorry - I should have been clearer: do you count the carbs in what you're about to eat and then calculate the correct amount of insulin to have for those carbs? That's important.

What different things have you been told by your nurses?

Paulgrayston

Sorry - I should have been clearer: do you count the carbs in what you're about to eat and then calculate the correct amount of insulin to have for those carbs? That's important.

What different things have you been told by your nurses?
at lunch my sugar was 14.2 now it's 4.6 hypo and scared

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you been taught to count carbs and adjust your insulin to match? If not, that could easily explain your erratic sugars.

Tanny35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
at lunch my sugar was 14.2 now it's 4.6 hypo and scared

Hi, I was getting some erratic readings for ages. My levemir was incorrect for starters.
Plus I never used to carb count religiously - since adjusting my levemir and carb counting everything I have eliminated the erratics a lot.
Also, 4.6 is a good reading. But u may be feeling hypo with that number if u have been running some highs.
Try taking a small amount of carbs to get it around the 7 mark if u keep it at that for a while the hypo feeling should stop eventually. Just persevere, even tho u feel like u want to eat!

Reactions: 4 people