urinary albumin:creatinine ratio

wellwell1212

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Liars and cheats
I've been called for a urinary albumin:creatinine ratio test. Urine sample in white bottle basically. My wife is a nurse and did not know (or said she didn't) what one of these is all about. I understand its a kidney related test but, that's it. Its new to me and wondered if any one on here had the SP?

shirleymarye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Sport !
I was sent a letter asking me to take a urine sample into the surgery for a new test relating to Chronic Kidney Disease, I rang them about it as I always have my urine checked at my diabetic review, I was told that my previous reading was 56 where it should have been 60 but this is a "new test", something totally different, so I took the urine sample in and was told to ring them a week later which I did and was told it was "normal" I tried to verify what was "normal" but just got a vague answer from the receptionist that there was only very slight albumin or protein in the sample and not to worry about it. Next time I see the doctor I will attempt to get a proper answer.
Personally I think they have a new toy to play with and thought the diabetics were ideal subjects to try it on!

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
I remember having to provide a 24 hour urine collection sample a few years back, and I think this test was related to albumin/creatinine. Normally triggered by a positive dipstick test for albumin and an abnormal blood result for creatinine levels. All fairly typical for a diabetic I think...

andy_hull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

In Hull we our given our numbers for all things diabetic my ACR is 2.0

The suggested targets in Hull are :

Men Less than 2.5
Women less than 3.5

I think they need your wee wee to make sure your kidneys are OK and are not being affected by you diabetes, hope your results will be fine.

andy

wellwell1212

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Liars and cheats
shirleymarye said:
Personally I think they have a new toy to play with and thought the diabetics were ideal subjects to try it on!

Me-thinks your are not far off the mark, particularly in relation to my doctor. Still hasn't got me a dietician appointment but, has had me on all the drugs. :roll:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Re: urinary albumin:creatinine

I had a check for microalbuminuria done with a 24 hour urine sample on diagnosis but yearly checks are done with a urine/blood sample. (I think the 24 hour urine sample is more accurate but not necessary for routine checks).
I'm not in the UK but these tests are part of the normal checks here in France.
My lab report gives similar figures to those by Andy.
Microalbuminura ia: albumin:creatinine ratio >= 2.5 mg/mmol (men) or >3.5 mg/mmol (women),
albumin > 20 mg/l.
Proteinuria: albumin:creatinine >=30mg/mmol or albumin >200 mg/l

The kidneys are like a sieve, microalbuminuria occurs when quite small but abnormal amounts of protein leak into the urine, proteinuria is a result of much larger amounts of protein.
A positive test for microalbuminuria is a big warning to tighted up BG control, blood pressure control and to lower triglycerides .
One important thing is that one reading is not definitive. There can be false positives eg: exercise can do this: I had to redo a test when I d had one done a couple of days after I ran a marathon.

Its all as thick as mud to me, and if you ask you're given loads of numbers that confuse me more. I've sent mine in this am, and hopefully it will be OK. I just try to keep the glucose below 6 during the day, it's hard but can work if I watch what I eat. What else can one do?

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rubbish doctors who dont listen. Unclean hospitals
They are pretty good if theres an issue.

I leak protein like a siv and my pee is frothy. I ended up with a kidney disease called FSGS. But the actual test is usual for most diabetics