Type 1 community - looking to connect with people like me

jamieclapton

Hey folks,

So, I've been type 1 for coming up 8 years, diagnosed at 19 and I'm now 27. I'm just looking to get in touch with fellow diabetics who are around my age. Particularly those who, like me, are physically active and enjoy exercise: even if it's a huge pain in the butt to manage.

As some of you I'm sure will agree, as useful as it can be to talk about diabetes with family or friends when you're struggling, nothing compares to talking to a fellow diabetic. Trouble for me, is I don't know anyone else who has type 1.

So basically, calling all type 1's, ASSEMBLE!

Cheers
Jamie

Reactions: 4 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@jamieclapton have you found the Sporty Type 1s group on Facebook? It's a good place to talk about managing exercise and T1.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @jamieclapton. Not sure if you are aware but the forum has a fitness and exercise section which is where a lot of fitness people like to post. At 52 I'm still big into exercise and couldn't live without it. Always happy to share experiences and pick up new idea's.
If this is a case of. Diabetics Assemble can I be Ironman.:):):):)

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Jamie,

T1 since feb 2016 and I am 24. So quite new to the whole T1 game.

I casually run (before and after) and find it really helps with BG stability and insulin sensitivity.

jamieclapton

Hello Jamie, I am also type 1 diabetic its been close to 12 years. I will be 22 next week.
Hey. Thanks for the reply. You've had it from a younger age from me then, sorry to hear that. How do you find managing it now? Mine seems to get worse the older I get. Currently on a pump and trialing CGM.

J

jamieclapton

Hi @jamieclapton. Not sure if you are aware but the forum has a fitness and exercise section which is where a lot of fitness people like to post. At 52 I'm still big into exercise and couldn't live without it. Always happy to share experiences and pick up new idea's.
Thanks for the response. Yeah I saw that part yes. My diabetes is often erratic after exercise which can be difficult. Although I'm using CGM at the moment to learn more about how my body responds. Trouble is, and my DSN's have discovered this with me over the last few months, my body often reacts in complete opposites. So I am shooting in the dark all too often.

jamieclapton

Also..... You're only iron-man if I'm Thor..... Just saying! Haha

jamieclapton

Hey Jamie,

T1 since feb 2016 and I am 24. So quite new to the whole T1 game.

I casually run (before and after) and find it really helps with BG stability and insulin sensitivity.
Exercise makes my Bg's very unstable unfortunately. But that will never stop me. As with my other responses mention, I'm trying CGM at the moment. Helps for exercise, especially tough mudders and those sorts of longer endurance events! (thank god the kit is all waterproof!)

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Exercise makes my Bg's very unstable unfortunately. But that will never stop me. As with my other responses mention, I'm trying CGM at the moment. Helps for exercise, especially tough mudders and those sorts of longer endurance events! (thank god the kit is all waterproof!)

I wouldn't have the confidence to run without my CGM. How are you finding it?

jamieclapton

As you say, it gives confidence and you don't have to stop what you're doing to take care of yourself. I'm on the enlite/medtronic 640g system and aside from so reliability issues, it's been a total game changer.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@jamieclapton. Still a bit old school T1 me. Needles and test strip's.
But exercise is exercise no matter what.
Very complicated to advise on as we're all different and as you maybe finding out things can change from day to day on a personal level.
Feel free to ask any questions and I'm sure you'll get great advice.

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi!

I'm 21 and have had type 1 for 20 years now, rowed at uni and working for a year now before going back to do my masters so am doing a lot of training to try and get up to top standard before the academic year starts in 2017!

Reactions: 2 people