Have you been told not to test your blood sugars?

I am type 2 and diagnosed in February. I asked about testing myself and was told no it is unnecessary as on metformin you cannot hypo. So I do not know my trigger foods and cannot follow any advice for new patients.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am type 2 and diagnosed in February. I asked about testing myself and was told no it is unnecessary as on metformin you cannot hypo. So I do not know my trigger foods and cannot follow any advice for new patients.

We are all told that. . Best to ignore that incorrect advice and self fund your own meter.. It is true you are unlikely to hypo, but without a meter you have no way of knowing what your meals are doing to your blood sugar levels and by the next HbA1c test you may not see an improvement. Using a meter, and eating to what it tells you, and you will definitely see an improvement.

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Omg! I was told the same thing by my doctor!! I was told that I didn't need to test because I am on pills, not insulin. He wouldn't give me a prescription for test strips, so I could get them on the government drug plan, here in Canada. I didn't listen of course, and glad I didn't, because a couple of days ago, I wanted to get a strawberry milkshake at McDonalds and my son said 'no, you are diabetic', and I said, 'It's okay, because all I had was a raspberry lemonade, no food for a little while, so I feel like my blood sugar is low, but he insisted I test it, and if it was low, he would get me the milkshake. Guess what? It was 11.1, so I tested it again to make sure that it wasn't just a fluke, and it was now 11.2. Luckily, pharmacists here in Quebec are allowed to write and renew prescriptions, so he had given me 7 renewals on the test strips, because the doctor wouldn't give it to m e. Also, I got the machine free at the pharmacy, so just have to pay for the test strips, lancets and alcohol pad, and since the pharmacist renewed my prescription for the test strips, I don't pay too much, because it is covered on the provincial drug plan.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Besides, I do need them because I've had hypos for years, even before I went on meds. I still get them. Thought that I was hypoglycemic actually. But this is the second time I have been diagnosed as Diabetic. I was getting the shakes all the time, but also really thirsty and my feet were full of sores that didn't heal. Doc said I had Juvenile Diabetes and sent me to see a dietitian and told me that if my sugar didn't go down, she would put me on insulin, it got better for years and then at Christmas, I was eating a lot of sweets and every time I did, my head would spin, but was also getting low blood sugar crashes. I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic by my doc, and according to my AC test, but endocrinologist said reactive hypoglycemia, but was having all the symptoms of diabetes. Sent for another test by my family doc and the AC showed I was now diabetic. My blood sugar was all over the place. 14.2, 13, 11 and 12 at times, then 3.2 and bad blood sugar crashes. He never really told me what type I am, but I assume I am type 2, since he put me on Metformin, and told me to lose weight. My family doc told me at first that it wasn't normal to have low crashes if you weren't on meds, but I found something interesting the other day.

Type 1 diabetes
Symptoms usually start in childhood or young adulthood. People often seek medical help, because they are seriously ill from sudden symptoms of high blood sugar. The person may not have symptoms before diagnosis. Usually the disease is discovered in adulthood, but an increasing number of children are being diagnosed with the disease.
Episodes of low blood sugar level (hypoglycemia) are common.

It cannot be prevented.

The person may not have symptoms before diagnosis. Usually the disease is discovered in adulthood, but an increasing number of children are being diagnosed with the disease.

There are no episodes of low blood sugar level, unless the person is taking insulin or certain diabetes medicines.

Robo42

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would not have been able to control my blood sugar if I had not tested my blood sugars regularly when first diagnosed. Able to see how different food affected me with pre and after eating testing. I don't test too much now but when told I would not be prescribed any more test strips some years ago I bought the tester with the cheapest test strips. I test when I feel a bit funny and see if blood sugar is low also if I eat something a bit different I would test to see effect on blood sugar. The main thing I originally found was that I do not handle carbs at all in the morning so its protein and perhaps a little oats now and then.
Waiting 6 months plus for the hba1c test to me on diet control is not the best thing to rely on.

midiansangel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people instantly assume that all T2's brought the condition on themselves!
I haven't read all the replies here, but I've been told quite the opposite.

I'm T2 and my nurse gave me my monitor (even though i already had one i purchased myself) and told me I, at the very least, must check before driving and during driving.

I don't drive for a living, but my children (all grown up now) live between 4.5 and 6.5 hours straight drive away

Sent from my B3-A20 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

The_Limes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This is not about whether the NHS should, or can afford to, provide test strips on a permanent or temporary basis to non-T1 diabetics. Having read #EveryCloud ’s post, and so many more like it over the years on this forum, I wonder whether we could gather together examples of Healthcare Professionals who have told people that it is either unnecessary or just plain wrong to test their blood sugars. It is a scandal that needs highlighting.

The_Limes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes.I was told that I didn't need to test my blood to know that creme eggs were bad for me and to exercise and come back in six months. Frankly, I don't think my healthcare professionals are interested in supporting me until I need insulin. I leave the surgery feeling angry and wanting to head straight for the said chocolate. When I first thought I may be diabetic, I bought a monitor and tested my levels and was ticked of by the surgery who seemed to think that because I was interested in my health, I must be a hypochondriac. I am now on Metformin (six months) and I don't know what to do for the best. There seems to be so much judgement and blame attached to diabetes.

6cats

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Testing is crucial and key. I saw my GP for the first time since diagnosis 6 months ago, yesterday. Apparently despite bringing my Hb1 down from 137 to 48, by testing and LCHF Diet it is not necessary to test and he does like the diet, despite the fact that I have lost 2.5 stone! My personal feeling is test at least twice a day and if you introduce anything new, have the necessary blood test and work it out yourself! Ask questions here and do what suits you. My personal experience is £££ is key to GP's support and if you help yourself they are happy to let you get on with it.

Keithredskins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
what do you accept from a conservative government who only look after the rich I've been a diabetic for nearly fifty years without blood tests I would be dead new insulin over the last ten years make it hard to tell high from low blood results because they feel similar need someone with a brain to sort out this rubbish

Jomart

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed in January and when I saw the nurse in April she told me I didn't need to test my blood. But in January I brought a test machine and have found this very useful to keep an eye on blood levels especially when trying different food

6cats

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My biggest thing about non-testing especially for T2 is that it is an essential tool to at least try and prevent any real problems manifesting in years to come. I think it is a false economy and, more than likely ends up costing the NHS much more than it might when the situations becomes chronic and hospital care becomes necessary. I have paid NI all my life and luckily, apart from 2 children and a hysterectomy I have never called on them for anything else, forgot a few stiches! So, I do resent this continual thing about not providing testing equipment. It's short sighted nonsense in my opinion.

pearlturnbull

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is not about whether the NHS should, or can afford to, provide test strips on a permanent or temporary basis to non-T1 diabetics. Having read #EveryCloud ’s post, and so many more like it over the years on this forum, I wonder whether we could gather together examples of Healthcare Professionals who have told people that it is either unnecessary or just plain wrong to test their blood sugars. It is a scandal that needs highlighting.
I was told recently by my GP not to test my sugars unless I was feeling unwell and that prescribed test strips x 50 should last me for at least a year

nayd83

Type of diabetes
Type 2
im type 2 and was told being on metformin meant i didnt need to test, i brought one anyway and im glad i did as last week while on holiday and after a good few hours walking round blackpool pier and beach. i got back to my room completely conked out and woke up an hour and half later feeling very very unwell. my friend tested me and levels were 3.5, id eaten 3 hours and previous and had been drinking plenty of water.

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
I was diagnosed with Type 2 last Friday - nothing at all was said about self-testing, just "come back in two weeks and see how you're doing on diet and exercise alone".

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed with Type 2 last Friday - nothing at all was said about self-testing, just "come back in two weeks and see how you're doing on diet and exercise alone".
If they have recommended the wrong diet, there won't be any improvement I'm afraid