Type 1 moods.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry to hear this, @Paulgrayston .

I think this is normal, and this is why.

Firstly, a recent diagnosis of a Type 1 diabetes is a really big deal, so that in itself is bound to unsettle you. Both of you.

Secondly, I find that my blood glucose levels themselves have an effect on my moods. If I'm low I become vacant, overfriendly, chatty and affectionate. If I'm high I get cross very readily. Some days are like huge great attitude rollercoasters.

So gaining steady control of your diabetes is likely to reduce your ups and downs in terms of your mood. Control of your levels = fewer mood swings, certainly in my experience. Although it's not always easy.

As for the whole thing of getting to grips with having type 1 is concerned, I can recommend talking about it, asking your partner to be involved in the day to day diabetes stuff like testing and eating and injecting and what-not, and spending lots of time on this fabulous forum where you will find all sorts of support and advice.

Type 1 diabetes has been in my life for 30 years. I am very fortunate to have understanding and support from those close to me. But it's a big deal for them, too.

I was diagnosed as a child, so didn't have to deal with making it part of a relationship with someone special. I didn't meet my husband until 10 years ago, so he didn't have to go through the new diagnosis experience.

Don't panic. It's all part of normal.

:)

Reactions: 2 people

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Paulgrayston. Mood swings are a pain in the a**e, just one of those things we have to manage.
As already mentioned good control will help immensely.
Getting your partner to understand it isn't you but the diabetes that's got the mood.
Over time you'll probably be aware when a dark time is on its way. As they say
Forewarned is forearmed.
When I feel a dark time looming I firstly tell my wife so she knows to ignore me and anything I say, secondly I just let it happen don't fight it and try to smile as much as possible.
Don't let diabetes control any part of your life. You're the boss you call the shots.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Very wise words, @therower - I've always found it hard to not let it be the boss, but I'm a work in progress!
@Snapsy. I talk a good fight but there are days when ** IT ** gets the better of me too.
But shhhhhhh I never actually admit it. I don't give it the pleasure.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Very wise, @therower ! But I fear the way I sometimes feel would make me explode into a puff of Glucotabs dust and used test strips if I didn't get the chance to be openly cross about it from time to time!

:joyful::joyful::joyful:

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Snapsy. Good morning, just on way out for breakfast with wife, daughter and two wonderful grandkids.
I think we both react brilliantly to our predicament.
How we react is different but we realise that we have to react and not just let. IT get it's own way.
Have a good day and don't go getting to crazy mad.:D:D:D

Reactions: 2 people

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Morning @therower! That's what I love about being on here - I learn so much from the differences in people's outlooks and experiences! But either way, we know it's not the justified winner in this race!

Enjoy breakfast out with the family - what a lovely weekend treat!

Too crazy mad? Bit late for that warning, I'm afraid! Mind you, heading off to parkrun is out of the question with this kidney infection - now that would be completely bonkers!

:joyful::joyful::joyful: