Cat among the pigeons

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Even though I've been active Nationally in diabetes matters, I've not got involved in the local group. Tonight, that changes. I'm going tothe AGM of the Reading and District Voluntary Group of DUK.
Anyone else on the forum attending? If so please make yourself known
Hana

justfoundout

Dislikes
Bullies
Hana
No - but I have volunteered to take part in Ham & Fulham's PCT Diabetes Service Users Group which has its inaugral meeting on 9th March. So if anyone else has volunteered ditto - make yourself known.
M

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
I have volunteered more than once for my local DUK chapter and have not been asked to help, not even on their badly advertised little Xmas card stall at the local market in December! Hana, you could mention this (I'm in Bucks, close to Reading, it might count as being district?!) that if they want help/volunteers then they need to follow up with enquiries! Surely they can't have too many volunteers?!

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Several years ago my Mum raised quite a large sum of money (well into 4 figures) that she wanted to donate to "something diabetes-related". Contacted the local DUK group, sent off the cheque, never heard anything more despite repeated attempts to telephone, email, write. So she cancelled the cheque, and donated the money directly to research projects being headed up by my hospital consultant!

Now quite separately I've ended up on the committee of the local group, we welcome volunteers with open arms, they're the only reason we can do what we do.

zanc

I once thought of joining my local diabetics group until I learnt that they offered (tempted) members with tea and biscuits.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
zanc said:
I once thought of joining my local diabetics group until I learnt that they offered (tempted) members with tea and biscuits.

Nowt wrong with tea and biscuits! :wink:

Nigel

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
noblehead said:
zanc said:

Nigel
Nowt wrong with TEA.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
IanD said:
noblehead said:
zanc said:

Nigel
Nowt wrong with TEA.

Here, here Ian! Especially in a pint size mug :D

Nigel

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
zanc
there were tea and biscuits last night and some of those poor folks believed what they'd been told that biscuits are ok if not very sweet. One looked quite shocked when I told her all the starch turns to blood glucose.
Hana

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hello Hana :)

How did it go? Did you get a chance to have any input at all or was it not possible?