Reducing Metformin from tonight

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
This is my last day on 4*500mg (2 with breakfast, 2 with dinner) as I'm moving down to 2*500mg (1 and 1). I read here somewhere that I can expect 80% of the benefits on the reduced dose. I'm not sure my control is that consistent that I'll be able to tell if BG goes up as a result. Anyone got any experience of reducing medication?

MarcoRiveira

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is my last day on 4*500mg (2 with breakfast, 2 with dinner) as I'm moving down to 2*500mg (1 and 1). I read here somewhere that I can expect 80% of the benefits on the reduced dose. I'm not sure my control is that consistent that I'll be able to tell if BG goes up as a result. Anyone got any experience of reducing medication?

I have no experience as I'm still on 2 500mg per day.

I'd say go for it, though, maybe change the timing, which I did with my 2 Mets. 1 in the morning anytime, but 2nd one before bed, my readings after waking up are much better.

Reactions: 2 people

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Are you taking time release and if so, why not move to a 750 ER after the half of each of breakfast and after nighttime snack?

If not, ask doc to put you on ER

I have found the ER way more consistent

I'm not taking, the slow release version yet. Thought I'd wait and see how the reduced dosage works first.

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have no experience as I'm still on 2 500mg per day.

I'd say go for it, though, maybe change the timing, which I did with my 2 Mets. 1 in the morning anytime, but 2nd one before bed, my readings after waking up are much better.

I thought they worked best if you took them with food, but might give it a try.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My understanding regarding taking Metformin is that the advice re taking with/after meals is because of the possiblilty of gastric issues with it. Some people find Metformin causes many gastric issues which can be improved on slow Release.

Personally, I have no problems with Metformin. I did get changed to Slow Release when my dose was increased to 4 a day but this has been changed back to 'ordinary' Metformin due to the surgery's decision re trimming costs.

As I have said, I don't have a problem with Metformin but many people seem to have issues. I often take my Metformin as I go to bed as I forget to take my evening tablets before ;) I'll have to see if it brings down my morning BG when taken late at night :)

Reactions: pjayem1964