Getting the will to fast

collectingrocks

Hi, I am a returning member and need to sort myself out.

I am looking to fast but can't seem to manage more than a day drinking just coffee, water (loads of) and a glass of wine in the evening. How can I stump up the willpower to fast for longer considering I work long hours and everyone around me is eating, guzzling etc....?

And any advice on "how to" fast would be appreciated, thanks

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
What are you trying to achieve?

Are you on an intermittent fasting diet?

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Don't try and do it all at once. Miss out breakfast for a few days. If you can, make bone broth, drink Bovril or oxo.
Don't rush it or you will give up. Plan it and get stuff ready for a week at a time.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What are you eating when you aren't fasting? I find it easier to fast when in or close to ketosis which I try to be most of the time. I would start by trying something like 16:8 where you only eat in an 8 hour window (whatever times suit you) then slowly increase the fasting time to 20 then 24 hours. Then do a 40 hour when you eat dinner one day then eat nothing until lunch the next day but one.
Also I find it useful to set a time/number of days before starting so my head is there already such as "tomorrow I will fast for 20 hours" seems to help the willpower a bit. Also if very hungry I take a slug of double cream from the pot to assuage those pangs.
Following this method I did a 5 day fast last week which felt ok.
Listening to a Jason Fung podcast today he said try anything from hours up to 7 days but beware the 48 hour as most people feel really bad on the second day and then get better afterwards so that by day 5 they feel great and want to go on more.
Sounds like you are not measuring your glucose levels which I would heartily recommend before starting as you can then see the great results that fasting can bring which gives even more encouragement.
Hope that ramble helps a bit.
Regards
Mark

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect my BS is high so I want to get this down.

I have managed to fast today but will probably be craving food by 7am tommorw

If you just suspect that your glucose levels are high, it sounds as though your don't have a meter to test them? In which case it may be better in the first instance to get yourself one and do some before and after meals checks. Cutting out or down on the foods that cause large spikes will probably do you just as much good as struggling to do some longer term fasts.

Robbity

collectingrocks

Well I fasted for 61 hours (bar 2 cups of coffee/tea a day and loads of water) which is the longest I have ever fasted and then I had a meal. BIG MISTAKE! My fast was from 9pm Sunday night to 1pm yesterday afternoon.

About 20mins after my meal, I had the worst stomach pain of my life and just managed to make the toilet! The meal I had was fatty, had protein and little carbs (sardines, avocado, cottage cheese, garlic and a splash of apple cider vinegar). Then I have been washed out, fatigued and only just beginning to get some energy back now. I wonder if I have got a secondary kidney infection as my pee is really dark brown, despite the fact I've had 8 glasses of water per day this whole week.

I wondered if I overdid it on the garlic or as someone told me, my gut has done some housekeeping and expelled years of trapped waste (sorry to be so graphic...)

I had a tiny breakfast this morning and a meal lunchtime and only a small stomach ache

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It really sounds as if you need more information on fasting before you do it. Breaking a fast with a big fatty meal is a recipe for disaster, I am afraid.

I recommend that you read Jason Fung's entire blog series on fasting before you try fasting again. It will give you all the information you need, and give you confidence.

I did several months of 16/8 IF before moving on to 24 hr fasts 2-3 times a week. I intend, soon, to try a 36 hour fast as a trial. But at each stage I have carefully monitored blood glucose (I agree with @Robbity that you should be testing), and assessed myself throughout. There was one day when I just knew I needed to eat, did so and felt better. Turned out I had a mild bug.

Here is the link to part 1 of the blog series.
https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/fasting-a-history-part-i/
The more information you have, the better you will understand what is happening.

Reactions: 2 people

Canadian_cousin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had two issues when I first started trying to fast. The first was my anxiety about deprivation, and then worrying about having to make it through to the finish line. I found once I gave myself permission to eat if I thought I had to, then I didn't worry about it anymore, and didn't think about it. And usually I didn't eat. Hunger moments pass quickly.It helps to be busy.
At times when I got really snakey and couldn't get my mind off of food or the feeling of desolation,I found it helpful to sit down and reread a chapter or two of Dr. Fung which helped me remember why I was doing this. The chapters are short and breezy reading. Or read some of the threads on this blog. The people here have the best forum and the most generous spirit of any group I have found. The thread above has some great advice. Try it

Tomorrow, I am going to see an affiliate doctor of Dr. Fung's to get support to try a longer fast. As I'm a high risk heart patient and have been fat since I was four, it's going to be a challenge. Who knows what she will say is possible for an old broad. But truly the fasting is not a hard thing. It's getting your head wrapped around your own issues that make you think you will fail. People all over the world are changing their lives, and you can too! Best of luck!!!

hornplayer

Okay, I'm having a go at this. I've been having trouble getting back on the straight and narrow so I'm hoping this will help me get a handle on things. I'm aiming for 24 hours, - I'm assuming I start the count from when I last ate? If so, I'm at the 14 hour mark now. I feel totally fine so I'm going to see how long I can go before I totally HAVE to eat something. If I can get to the 24 hour point, then I may very well just go to bed and see how I feel about it in the morning. I did a VLCD when I was younger and I remember that not eating at all was so much easier than faffing around with can't eat this and measuring that. Maybe this will kickstart me back on to a VLCD. Who knows.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Okay, I'm having a go at this. I've been having trouble getting back on the straight and narrow so I'm hoping this will help me get a handle on things. I'm aiming for 24 hours, - I'm assuming I start the count from when I last ate? If so, I'm at the 14 hour mark now. I feel totally fine so I'm going to see how long I can go before I totally HAVE to eat something. If I can get to the 24 hour point, then I may very well just go to bed and see how I feel about it in the morning. I did a VLCD when I was younger and I remember that not eating at all was so much easier than faffing around with can't eat this and measuring that. Maybe this will kickstart me back on to a VLCD. Who knows.
Have you done any preparation at all? Do you low carb now?

hornplayer

That's ok but I found it much easier fasting once in ketosis. Recently found a Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/1595453080771766/?fref=nf
which has loads of fasters and Keto dieters. Has some good advice an seems v friendly although maybe a bit USA in its membership.

I feel fine at the moment. Yes, I'm sure ketosis would make things easier, but I'll make up for that with sheer stubbornness lol.

Thanks for the link - I don't do face book, but I'm reading the blog that was mentioned in an earlier post and it's really interesting.

How long is a typical fast? And what sort of thing do you - and others- eat between fasts?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I go anywhere from 24 to 120 hours so far. I live on tea (with unsweetened soya milk), coffee with double cream and unsweetened soya and sometimes a consommé to keep up the salt ;levels. If I get bad hunger pangs a mouthful of double cream does the trick (straight from the pot cos that's naughtier...). I'm currently doing a week of bacon (10-12 rashers of streaky) only once a day to see if that helps with ketosis. So far so good... my ketones are higher after 4 days of that then they were after 4 days of fasting. I'm stubborn and maybe a bit extreme too but weight loss stalled a bit after 5 1/2 stone and want to loose another 2 or so..

hornplayer

That sounds good. Exactly what I want. So far, I've had a black coffee (decaf) and lots of water. I feel much calmer than I have in weeks. More in control.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That sounds good. Exactly what I want. So far, I've had a black coffee (decaf) and lots of water. I feel much calmer than I have in weeks. More in control.
Yes after decades of overeating I now feel mostly in control.. Still have to watch it though and be careful. it is far too easy to relapse.