Newly Diagnosed type 1 Feeling down.

Paulgrayston

I've been t1 since end of June. been off work as waiting for dvla to permit me to drive a 7.5 tonne truck. got taken off when I notified them with my diagnosis. gutted feel down fed up. just hit a brick wall

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there @Paulgrayston
welcome to the forum.:)
that is a bit of a double whammy -- first the D then the job.
Have you communicated with DVLA to ask about progression to getting your license back ?

Reactions: 4 people

Paulgrayston

hi there @Paulgrayston
welcome to the forum.:)
that is a bit of a double whammy -- first the D then the job.
Have you communicated with DVLA to ask about progression to getting your license back ?
hi there. thanks for reply. yes they said have received it and reviewing it. not much fun being off. just don't feel like going out for a walk. I suffer depression as it is and love working. but being off is a kick in the go nads

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hi there. thanks for reply. yes they said have received it and reviewing it. not much fun being off. just don't feel like going out for a walk. I suffer depression as it is and love working. but being off is a kick in the go nads

Type 1 is hard and some days it can get you down, but you're not alone. We all understand and there are lots of kind, listening ears here : )

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

@Paulgrayston, is it not possible to return to work and do a job inside your place of until the DVLA have made a decision?

Maybe contact your employer and ask if this would be something you would consider. Regards.

ScottyD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Paulgrayston, keep your chin up. Easier said than done. I'm a commercial airline pilot and currently have my medical suspended until I have built up the data. The Civil Aviation Authority have been great and I believe I'm not so different from you in terms of how to get back to work - 90 days blood sugar readings and a report from my consultant?

The days I was in hospital were dark days. You have to think of the positives - use the time off to really get to know your body and what's best for you with T1. I've been out cycling and doing more exercise then I have ever done, learning what works for me, enjoying the summer and generally using getting back to work as a motivational tool. Done many others things like out with friends and family away from the comfort of home and drinking alcohol to learn what it does to my body, eating out in restaurants etc... Having this time off due to your work means you can get into the swing of various things quicker than others who may have a desk job for example and can be back at work in weeks.

I hope this helps a little.

Reactions: 7 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@ScottyD
wow !!
what an inspirational post
when I were diagnosed a commercial pilot was on the no go list
proves we can do most anything ......

amazing you are!!( LOL said by Yoda ):D

Reactions: 4 people

ScottyD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@himtoo Thank you!

You have no idea how happy I was when I found out I still had a career. I'm 24 and only been doing my dream job for 2 years. The moment I was told I was diabetic I feel to my knees crying. You have to just break the entire experience down into small pieces. Having DKA and being admitted to high dependancy you can imagine how awful I felt. At that moment I didn't care about the job. Within hours of insulin and fluids going into me I was a changed man.

The next step whilst in hospital and having loads of time on my hands was to check the CAA's website and get the relevant documentation together and understanding what had to be done. I then used all the info as motivation to get my levels stable and simply go out there and experiment - once my sight was back and no longer blurry it was first the driving, then out of them house and at mates houses chilling, out cycling and exploring the various cycle paths in my area and understanding how my body reacts, drinking alcohol and again keeping an eye on that! It's good to see the advice your diabetic nurses tell you in action.

The freestyle libre give me a whole new bag of confidence when out too - yes it's only a rough guide but i find that it's rather representative of my blood approx 15 mins ago. Quick scan and you can Bolus based on that whilst out in public but whilst eating at home I carb count much more accuratley with scales etc.

The key is confidence, confidence, confidence.

Reactions: 6 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
amazing post followed by another even more uplifting post -- i could cry my eyes out with happiness and the initial sadness with you ........................
hopefully you can coninue on the forum to provide support for others feeling like the D is a life ending experience

i would fly on your plane for sure
all the best !!

Reactions: 6 people

ScottyD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks! Means a lot to me.

It's not just me. As you know family and friends form a huge part to getting back on your feet. One moment that stuck with me was on my first bike ride since the diagnosis - i checked my bloods every 30 mins and at one point I was hypo. I sorted it out ad carried on. I started getting upset thinking my life had gone backwards. Last time I was on this cycle path I never had to consider any of this not being Diabetic and now I do. That moment my dad took me aside and gave me one hell of a motivational speech. Less than 24hrs later I was back on the bike cycled further than the previous day and have stable sugar levels over the 90 min cycle covering roughy 20 miles.

It's the beauty of having 3 months off so I can crack on straight away with learning from hypos/bad experiences and taking time to read up on things. I got the info off here to eat small packets of haribo whilst exercising and some fast acting lucozade. Worked amazingly well during my cycle and now know it works for me and alter it accordingly for a tougher or easier work out!

Little victories!

Paulgrayston

@Paulgrayston, keep your chin up. Easier said than done. I'm a commercial airline pilot and currently have my medical suspended until I have built up the data. The Civil Aviation Authority have been great and I believe I'm not so different from you in terms of how to get back to work - 90 days blood sugar readings and a report from my consultant?

The days I was in hospital were dark days. You have to think of the positives - use the time off to really get to know your body and what's best for you with T1. I've been out cycling and doing more exercise then I have ever done, learning what works for me, enjoying the summer and generally using getting back to work as a motivational tool. Done many others things like out with friends and family away from the comfort of home and drinking alcohol to learn what it does to my body, eating out in restaurants etc... Having this time off due to your work means you can get into the swing of various things quicker than others who may have a desk job for example and can be back at work in weeks.

I hope this helps a little.
thanks mate. does help but it's just me find it so difficult to adjust. so used to being at work as I really enjoy it so much

Paulgrayston

rang dvla this morning. gonna send me driver licence without c1 7.5 code on it. have sent a form to them applying for my c1 licence. been told need an up to date medical form. which will cost me £50 for Dr to fill in. hope it goes well

SurreyDad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Good luck mate and try to stay positive!

My 5 year old daughter was diagnosed a few months back and I'm working hard to let her know she can do whatever she wants in life! Smash that medical form and crack on as normal!

My daughter is a rockstar and doing her own leg injections!

Reactions: 3 people

Dan1987

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good luck paulgrayston
I know how you fill
stay positive and it will all get sorted
Good luck mate

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Go for it, Paul. There's light at the end of the tunnel - you'll see it soon ;)
Good luck with getting your licence back :)