Eye trouble

Miriamenily

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hey guys, I had an eye check a couple months ago. I hadn't had one in a while and I got new glasses in that time cause my eye sight worsened. I've had glasses since before I was diagnosed. Two months after my appointment I've received results saying I have diabetic changes and need to go for an appointment. I don't know if I have these problems yet or if they are seeing my eye sight worsen?! I'm now over run with fear! I'm gonna call tomorrow but just wondered can any offer advice? I've had occasional eye lid twitching?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
try to keep calm :)
tagging @Dark Horse for completely knowledgeable and sensible advice

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm now over run with fear! I'm gonna call tomorrow but just wondered can any offer advice? I've had occasional eye lid twitching?

Yes do call them for clarification, but the earlier that diabetic eye changes are picked up the better the outcome so try not to worry too much.

As for the eye twitching, stress and anxiety can cause this but it's worth mentioning when you do attend the appointment, let us know how it all goes @Miriamenily

Reactions: 2 people

Dark Horse

Screening looks for changes that are suspicious for the early stages of sight-threatening retinopathy. A follow-up appointment is not a diagnosis, it's an indication that further tests are needed. Many people who are referred to ophthalmology for further investigation end up needing no treatment and are returned to screening. If the tests show that treatment is needed, regular screening should have picked up the changes at a stage when treatment is most effective - this is usually before there is any effect on vision.

Sometimes people worry that needing new glasses may be an indication that they have vision loss due to diabetic retinopathy but when diabetic retinopathy does affect eyesight it is not correctable by glasses. If your eyesight is poor during the screening test when wearing glasses, you may be asked to read the eye chart using a pinhole - this should eliminate any problems due to out of date glasses and tests how well the retina is working.

The way to minimize the risk of progression of diabetic retinopathy is to maintain good control of blood glucose, blood pressure and blood lipids and to attend all screening appointments. Eye-lid twitching is not at all related to diabetic retinopathy.

Reactions: 5 people

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Try to stay calm and remember to ask...eye clinics are busy places and in my experience are always in a hurry. Take a minute to write down before hand what you would like to ask and ask! It is a complex area of health care and I have sometimes felt the doctors have felt you would not understand the explanation, in my experience being interested and keen to learn what is going on goes a long way in your future care, you deserve some time, insist on it! Don't be too alarmed by it all and early stages might not be as bad as you are anticipating, good luck x

Reactions: 3 people