Dafne

Madmaureen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Be prepared for mamy changes they will want you to get yr head around.
How mamy yrars type1?

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
I found the DAFNE course very helpful
5 days to cover a range of topics
Our tutors were excellent and delivered the course in a relaxed informal manner
It will give you the opportunity to discuss with other folks attending the course

I went in March this year as a type 2 on insulin for over 30 years since been re-diagnosed as type 1

I learned so much
Hope you will enjoy it
Good luck and keep us informed of your progress on DAFNE

Reactions: 2 people

Kerry74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hot and spicy food
hiya, I'm booked to go on the Dafne course in October. Any advice or what to expect? Thank you
Hiya I done dafne a few years ago I found it very helpful
You will learn so much and be more educated on type 1 . I highly recommend it good luck let us all know how u get on
The course I went on was a mixture of ages say youngest being 18 oldest maybe 50
Please don't worry you will be fine X

Woods4059

Thank you! Big changes that are happening so quick. Its been an emotional roller-coaster over the last 7 months. I'll certainly keep you informed

Kerry74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hot and spicy food
I was diagnosed same age as u have been type 1 7 years now I know in the beginning it is a massive shock but just give yourself time I promise it will get better and the course will help u so much , remember we are all here to help u x

Woods4059

Thank you for the support. My biggest obstacle is alcohol at the moment I haven't had a drink in weeks. Its difficult when all mates are out and just too tired to go out.
All though it does have its positives

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
Thank you! Is it adults on the course or mixture of ages?

On my course it was a mix of 20 to 60+

I'm now 53, was 52 on the course

Small group of 8 people with a DSN and a Dietician running it
We covered carbs in food, carb counting, correction doses, driving, hypo and hyper, ketones, pregnancy and lots more looking at meters both Blood Glucose meters and Ketone meters and at the end of the week any prescription changes were sent to our respective GP's

Don't worry about any of it like I said the age range covered folk newly diagnosed and folk diagnosed for 30+ years

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Woods4059 . I think everything about Dafne as been covered by everyone.
One thing I found really good and beneficial was the chance to spend a week with fellow T1's.
After 25yrs T1 I was still picking up things from others on the course and things that I took for granted were of interest to the others.
You'll learn a great deal.
No one knows diabetes better than a diabetic.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
hiya, I'm booked to go on the Dafne course in October. Any advice or what to expect? Thank you

The course is great and I'm sure you will gain some new knowledge, don't worry about being in a group as the set-up is quite informal.

Thank you! Is it adults on the course or mixture of ages?

The course is for adults, on my course I think the youngest was in their 20's and the oldest was in their late 60's.

If nothing else the experience of meeting other type 1's will be worthwhile. Enjoy the course @Woods4059