Freestyle Libre questions

Horlicks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Forums asking for a load of personal information including dislikes.
I had my first FL 4 days ago and was very pleased with how it was working. Put it on the arm as per the instructions and no problems - until tonight. Exercised, sweated a lot, changed T shirts and off it came. I didnt even realise until I got home so its somewhere on a changing room floor! Is it possible to get a free replacement if you have lost the original?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
How about an armband of some sort ?? I think that's what I am going to try when I get mine, not sure what the best material would be, but for me it would seem the best way of avoiding the sensor snagging without using another adhesive.

A small piece ilof tubigrip goes over mine. Doesn't affect the perfect readings I'm getting and is cheap.
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1470486369.983876.jpg

Gets reused and reused.. Just bung it inthe wash in a sock!!

Do the same on my other arm when I go back to my pump... Just cover with tubigrip and holds perfectly .even designed cut off socks for my arm covers to make pump less noticeable as they coordinate with my clothes..

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had my first FL 4 days ago and was very pleased with how it was working. Put it on the arm as per the instructions and no problems - until tonight. Exercised, sweated a lot, changed T shirts and off it came. I didnt even realise until I got home so its somewhere on a changing room floor! Is it possible to get a free replacement if you have lost the original?

What a pain! The only 1 from 14 I've had, with adhesion problems also just dropped off without any snagging or anything, but I heard something drop and couldn't believe my eyes. Abbott were fine about it, but wanted the sensor back, so I can't answer your question I'm afraid.

It costs nothing to call them, on the 0500 number, and the worst thing they can say is, "No". If yu don't phone, you're effectively making their minds up for them.

clarey123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use hypafix tape to keep my sensor in place it lasts for the 14days without coming off.

Toriroge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was also put on a trial and knocked mine off on the second day! I bumped in to a door frame and it did hurt! I rang Abbott who have sent out a new one to me. I am looking to put it back on - I think maybe I did not put the sensor in the right place and had it to in the middle of my arm rather than the back.

Has any one got one on and willing to share a pic of where they place it, I would really appreciate it. I go on holiday Tuesday the 16th and am hoping to put it on a few days before hand so I can check my sugars on the plane ( 10 hours!) Just think scanning will be easier for the journey.

Really will appreciate any pictures or tips people are willing to share. X

Ultimaf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs in Potatoes
Is there anyone who successfully applies this to there stomach or any other area that makes it easier to hide and less likely to knock off????? I know it's only approved by freestyle to go on your arm but it's really not great there. I just caught mine on the doorframe and it almost ripped clean off. I pressed it straight back onto my arm and, fingers crossed, so far it's still working although I'm now worried it may be inaccurate Has anyone else pressed one back on and if you have did it continue to work ok? I'm only four days into this sensor so really can't afford to lose it!!!!!
Both of my starter pack sensors didn't last more than two days one to the car door pulling it off. The other one was giving me hypo readings when I was really 10 - 12 mmol (I ate when I thought I was hypo) wasn't happy when I double checked on my normal meter!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have to send back the knocked off one to Abbott?

Abbott wanted mine back. My guess is they're checking if there are any flaws on how much or where adhesive is on the sensor. They send pre-paid packaging, so it's no trouble.

Ultimaf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs in Potatoes
Tegaderm films are apparently the way to go to stop the falling off issue
5c84e28a9e2d74f2c9853d1af8591da6.jpg

Toriroge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you have to send back the knocked off one to Abbott?
I told the person on the phone that it fell off, they have sent a new sensor and a prepaid envelope and medical bag for the sensor to go back to them.

jinty73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All members of the british government, benefit fraud, liver & kidneys, animal cruelty, having to work
Both of my starter pack sensors didn't last more than two days one to the car door pulling it off. The other one was giving me hypo readings when I was really 10 - 12 mmol (I ate when I thought I was hypo) wasn't happy when I double checked on my normal meter!
Sorry for late reply!! Thats terrible, and its also terrible that the results are so unreliable that you are having to double check things on your normal meter. I'm really not all that convinced by this Libre thing to be honest. In theory i love it but reality is a whole different story as i too am carrying around my old meter and the results are rarely the same. If Abbott are going to produce this expensive miracle machine they should at least make sure its working. Rant over;-)

Ultimaf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs in Potatoes
Sorry for late reply!! Thats terrible, and its also terrible that the results are so unreliable that you are having to double check things on your normal meter. I'm really not all that convinced by this Libre thing to be honest. In theory i love it but reality is a whole different story as i too am carrying around my old meter and the results are rarely the same. If Abbott are going to produce this expensive miracle machine they should at least make sure its working. Rant over;-)
For sure! I've had a reply from them they will replace the first one that abruptly ended and the second one because it wasn't on for 24 hours they will not replace! So there's the lesson people you've got to put up with severe pain for 24 hours with the hopes that the readings come in line and the pain subsides for a replacement. Doesn't sound fun to me....

jinty73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All members of the british government, benefit fraud, liver & kidneys, animal cruelty, having to work
Ok so this is where i have put my latest sensor as i've ripped the last two off on doorframes!!!!! Its way at the back of my arm and much higher up than previously and so far its still there, although i've still 8 days to go so i'm sure anything can happen. Any t-shirts i wear have covered it no problem so even when i'm at the gym it seems to be a lot safer. I'm just not willing to walk around every day with a bandage on my arm to ensure that Abbott's inferior product stays on, surely thats up to them to ensure it stays on???!!!!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_9241.jpg
    IMG_9241.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 437

jinty73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
For sure! I've had a reply from them they will replace the first one that abruptly ended and the second one because it wasn't on for 24 hours they will not replace! So there's the lesson people you've got to put up with severe pain for 24 hours with the hopes that the readings come in line and the pain subsides for a replacement. Doesn't sound fun to me....
Good luck with the new one!! When i got my replacement from Abbott it took me ages to decide where to put it as i was so convinced i'd rip it straight off again!! Oh the joys of the Libre.

Ultimaf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs in Potatoes
Ok so this is where i have put my latest sensor as i've ripped the last two off on doorframes!!!!! Its way at the back of my arm and much higher up than previously and so far its still there, although i've still 8 days to go so i'm sure anything can happen. Any t-shirts i wear have covered it no problem so even when i'm at the gym it seems to be a lot safer. I'm just not willing to walk around every day with a bandage on my arm to ensure that Abbott's inferior product stays on, surely thats up to them to ensure it stays on???!!!!!!!
Tegaderm strips like they cover IV needle with!

Ultimaf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs in Potatoes
Good luck with the new one!! When i got my replacement from Abbott it took me ages to decide where to put it as i was so convinced i'd rip it straight off again!! Oh the joys of the Libre.
I'm waiting till winter when I don't want to be pricking my fingers making them sore when it's cold

Horlicks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Forums asking for a load of personal information including dislikes.
An update. Abbott kindly agreed to send a replacement even though I could not return the one that fell off. The replacement worked well and gave what I deemed to be accurate readings. (I checked it against my ordinary meter and got near identical result).
So, after 2 weeks I ordered another and applied it this morning. Soon after I got a reading of 5.3 which I suspected was wrong. Checked with a finger prick which was 8! It continued to give suspiciously very low readings for several hours but another check this evening gave a more credible reading of 8.5 Libre, 9.5 finger prick.
Have others had issues such as this? Is the Libre just 'settling in' a bit late (although its supposed to be ready for readings 1 hour after being first applied).

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Horlicks

I just put on my 3rd sensor yesterday, the first lasted 6 days before I knocked it off against the doorjam and the second lasted all of 12 hours and almost fell off, although I don't remember knocking it. Abbott kindly agreed to replace the sensor so I have now had the 3rd one on for just over 24 hours.

I seem to remember being a bit disappointed with the readings from my first one but they did improve and, apart from higher levels being high and lower levels being low, it was pretty much spot-on in the middle range, so I was happy with that.

The second sensor was pretty good, for the short time it was attached and working.

This 3rd sensor has been a bit 'off kilter' when compared to my meter readings but, again, seems to be getting closer. I'm not expecting the Libre to mirrow the meter readings but it's good to have it consistantly reading in line with the meter, even if I have to allow a bit on the higher / lower readings.

I understand a new sensor can take 24hrs to 'settle' before giving more accurate readings and that seems to be the case in my limited experience.

Hannah3003

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Where I put mine, sometimes a little lower down and as of yet I haven't had any problems (have used maybe 10 sensors now, all lasting 14 days)

However I've definitely jinxed myself now!!