Any tips for new CGM Enlite 640g user?

London36_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello,

Started my sensors yesterday and so far they have been really amazing (stopping hypos - woo hoo!) and simultaneously awful (stopping pump when I wasn't going to go hypo but then ended up very high at 15)

I'm sure I just need to learn a lot about the system/ my control and I was wondering if there are any tips people have?

Thank you

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Wear them in your arm not your belly and they suffer fewer compression lows, so they don't cut off insulin when you aren't really low. They also last longer (up to about ten to twelve days - you can restart them) in your arm.

Only use the Medtronic stickies to hold the sensor in place. Put a strip of opsite over the transmitter to hold it down as it is easier to remove the transmitter and recharge it before re-using the sensor if you do that.

London36_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Wear them in your arm not your belly and they suffer fewer compression lows, so they don't cut off insulin when you aren't really low. They also last longer (up to about ten to twelve days - you can restart them) in your arm.

Only use the Medtronic stickies to hold the sensor in place. Put a strip of opsite over the transmitter to hold it down as it is easier to remove the transmitter and recharge it before re-using the sensor if you do that.

Thanks so much. I'll try that.

Mel©

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I'm new to this and just needing some advice! I'm starting on the Medtronic pump 640g on Tuesday and my control has been pretty poor over the past year. Do you think a CGM system would benefit me at this early stage of starting on the pump for finding the best settings? I will have to fund it myself so don't want to be out a fortune if its not beneficial at this stage? Thanks

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I think that when people are put on a pump they should be given cgm or Libre for a month on the NHS. It makes getting the basal set-up correct much, much easier.

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
Tim2000s I was told that I would be on CGM for a week prior to going on the pump but it never happened. It would have been very useful to see when the Dawn Phenomenon was kicking in which is the sole reason for my being on the pump.
I was told it would be a blind unit meaning i wouldn't be able to see any BG results but atleast when the information was downloaded by the nurses the information would have impacted more accurate Basal rates.
6 weeks on and I'm only just getting to the stage that i might be able to conduct basal testing.
I've a 6 week pump review today so might bring this up.

If i had the wage packet to fund CGM i would, its something our bodies does naturally so if you put that into perspective as Type1 diabeics we should be able to use CGM.

Martin

Mel©

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for replies..Just started on the pump today,going ok so far but not looking forward to the 2hourly bsls I have to do overnight - cgm would definately help now!!

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
I was lucky and got funding for a CGM after a long battle and great support from my DSN and Endo,it made my life so much easier to set up my pump.Like many others have said,I think all new pumper should have access to.a CGM for the first month of their pump start.

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Mel. Take your time there is no rush. Of course I'm no expert just 6 weeks more experienced than yourself.
What helps me is that i record everything on paper and highlight a particular change for example a carb ratio change so i can see it at a glance. Its easy to take a step back if everything is there infront of you on paper, it works for me.

I had my 6 week follow up on Monday just gone and thought i might of gotten a talking to because i haven't done any basal testing, i was wrong I'm doing everything as i should be.

Regards

Martin

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
One bit of advice I'd give you is to use an app that shows you a graph of blood glucose and when you bolus and eat. A visual representation of what is happening is much, much easier to follow and to see the consequential moves...

Mel©

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks!I definately will do that!Went low once at 4am then slightly high after 6am so I think I'll just need a few tweaks for overnight,I'm sure my dsn will help me change this when I'm back on Friday.Sounds like your doing really well Martin!

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks. When my initial settings were put in by the Medtronic Rep my Basal was a whopping 64 units i have worked my way down to 21.2 units. I dare say you can see the problems i was having, Hypo City! When i was on MDI I was taking 36 units. If the pump was started off on 36 units i fancy i would be nearer to the ideal basal rate today but on another note I'm learning.

I'm using a lot less insulin than when on MDI and this includes Bolus, without adoubt you will experience the same.

Regards

Martin

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Anyway - as this was primarily a topic about the Enlites, let's keep it on that, if anyone has any further advice for the OP.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If the pump alerts me that I'm heading for a low, I tend to take some quick acting carbs, after testing, and if the basal has switched off I turn it back on. This avoids going up into the teens. However, I keep an eye on the graph, just in case I continue to head low (e.g. if I had danced earlier).

London36_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If the pump alerts me that I'm heading for a low, I tend to take some quick acting carbs, after testing, and if the basal has switched off I turn it back on. This avoids going up into the teens. However, I keep an eye on the graph, just in case I continue to head low (e.g. if I had danced earlier).

Thank you. Hypo stopping at night is amazing but during the day, I'm more likely to end up low (bolus related) so I'm going to now try to eat to the IOB on a hypo warning and try to trust it.

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
I initially really didn't get on with the enlite and much prefer the libre. I stopped the smartguard function very quickly as it kept on alarming when i wasn't low and occasionally missing when I was. You need to consider when using the smartguard function how far in advance your basal works. I allow 2 hrs for mine as a minimum therefore stopping the basal will not help the hypo now. It might help the hypo in the future if I've exercised or have too much insulin on board. When it works it's great. I hope it does for you.