Could i be diabetic?

dee999

i was diagnosed with polycystic ovaries 3 years ago (am 37)- i eat healthily and exercise regularly- over the past 8 months i have become more tired, and lethargic, uninterested in food,not drinking excessively, (but am quite thirsty), or losing weight, but my blood sugar level 1 hour after eating a meal never seems to be higher than 4.5mmol-at its lowest it has been 3- i am a paramedic, and i would say that these levels do seem low.........especially after a meal. i saw my practice nurse and took my blood sugar kit, and showed her my average levels (4.2 over 5 months)- i did inform her that these levels were mostly after a meal, and that i thought they were quite low.(i dont drink or smoke either!)
she was pretty unsympathetic and virtually told me to get a grip, cos these were normal levels!
any comments would be appreciated!! :D

alison2345

Hi

I think your practice nurse could have been a bit more nicer to you. Those blood sugars do sound normal. If I were you I would make an appointment to see your GP and have some blood tests done, that way you will get peace of mind.

Good luck

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
De,

I'm no expert by any means, but going by those readings I would say you could possibly rule out diabetes. They are fantastic post-meal readings, although the 3 does seem a little low. The usual syptoms are thirst, frequent urination and weight loss and fatique, so it may be worth seeing your gp for other checks.

Nigel