Insulin pump

jono1970

Hi,

Time has come to try and sort my wretched diabetes out. Been type 1 for around 7 years or so - lost count and just can't bring myself to deal with it. My daily levels are 14 plus and I just feel like a zombie, muscle aches and pains, memory and speech issues, etc. I have been diagnosed with sleep apnea, IBS, depression, personality disorder and taking a whole lot of medication. I have just recently recovered from a high bout of keytones and was stuck in bed for a couple of days, not eating or taking insulin. I lost my job as an IT Manager just before Christmas because I just couldn't operate any more.

I have a beautiful 4 month old daughter and my wife is now supporting us (and 2 cats) and I want to get back to strength so I can become the main provider again. My daughter has given me the strength to sort this out once and for all.

I really want to experient with an insulin pump as injecting does prove hard for me. I did request one a couple of years ago and the consultant refused it. I did attend a Dafne course a couple of years back but even with this knowledge it just did not work for me - so frustrating.

Anyone got any advice before I ask again when I visit the nurse on March 9th? - our aniverary as it happens!

Cheers,

Jono

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Only advice is go for it Jono!

If ever there was a case for a pump it is you, make the case and take a stance and don't take no for a answer. Very best of luck, hope things improve for you and your family.

Nigel

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Jono

Get down that clinic and nag them until they give you a pump! It IS hard work (sometimes to obtain and always to work with), requires commitment but the benefits are potentially huge. Sounds like you have several very good reasons to sort yourself out? There's lots of useful information here in the Insulin Pump forum, and plenty of people with pumps who can help if you have questions.

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Jono,
what insulins are you on?
Jus

jono1970

Hi,

Thanks for the positive information.

I was initially refused a pump because my mental state was not good and therefore would not change the way I control my diabetes. I was told that when I resolve my non diabetic problems I will find it much easier to control my diabetes. I have not seen a consultant since. I saw a nurse early last year and she changed my insulin from Novarapid/Lantis to 2 injections of novomix per day. On one hand it is harder to keep control and the other hand is only 2 injections.

I am taking seroquel, depakote and mebeverine for other conditions. If truth be told one of my problems is that I am not assertive enough when seeing the doctor/nurse and just go along with what they say.

I have always been on novarapid up until last year so never used animal insulin. I know I need to make more commitment and not give up when I don't get the desired result.
I am looking forward to seeing the nurse shortly, armed with my newly aquired determination, I want to take control of this wretched disease!

Thanks again,

jono

aardvarkark

Hi Jono, I have been on a pump (well three different pumps) for the past five years and I think they are great. HOWEVER I also have bi polar disorder which was only recently diagnosed and that made me realise how much of my poor diabetes management was due to my mental health. Conversely problems with your BG will affect your mental health - i'm sure you know, and many will tell you, that severe hypos trigger depressive episodes even in the best managed person with diabetes. Make sure that all your healthcare professionals know you have both conditions - stopping insulin is an accessible suicide option for someone struggling with depression and managing diabetes effectively needs a co-operative mind. I am sure with your family support and your determination to get well you will succeed but be aware that a pump is a pro-active devie and requires a commitment - I can tell you the freedom is absolutely worth it though XX :D

aardvarkark

PS be careful of Lantus - it triggered massive problems for me and I am notthe only one, plus watch out for Seroquel - again there are certain side effects - most studies do not seem to cross check mental health problems and diabetes - you are so right to want to Be Assertive - you are the only person in the world living with your cocktails of health conditions and only YOu know how it feels! Good luck