Type 2 To Snack Or Not To Snack

Lizzie2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
S
My favourite way to have a Ham sandwich since being diagnosed, is a slice of good quality Ham between two ready sliced pieces of Cheese. :hungry:

Sounds good, I must try that. I have a beef burger sandwiched between too big flat mushrooms.

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Feeling I can never eat anything sweet again or anything with carbs. But thought of diabetes complications scares me more so it is a no brainer!
I found that spelt bread had little impact on my levels. You can buy it or make it yourself. I also could not find the Lidl ones. Frustrating!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
A Dutch crisp bake is about 6g of carbs I will some times have a poached egg on one for breafast or you can have cheese or ham or ham and cheese or if your really brave one with Marmite on.

Ruby_an

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I found that spelt bread had little impact on my levels. You can buy it or make it yourself. I also could not find the Lidl ones. Frustrating!

The Lidl protein rolls are in the fresh bakery goods section. They are triangular and very tasty. They even taste nice the next day.

Birdlady1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
They are where the fresh rolls are. I have bought some today, had one for lunch with a small amount of butter, a yogert and a few raspberries.....I tested at 5.2 , so they obviously suit me.....
Anyone know how many calories per roll, just curious.
Forgot to say,they tasted good too.

pensionistamike

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For a snack about an hour before going to bed (12 30 am) a mix of nuts" recommended by the diabetic Nurse
Cashews / walnuts / plain almonds not salted.......6 of each,,,,,,apparently it gives the body something
to work on to try and ease the Dawn Phenomenon..........my morning readings are always the highest of the day
after breakfast and medications the rest of the day they are fine......ive only been "nuts" for a week or so
but they seem to be helping.....not a lot ....but I will keep at them and see what happens.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For a snack about an hour before going to bed (12 30 am) a mix of nuts" recommended by the diabetic Nurse
Cashews / walnuts / plain almonds not salted.......6 of each,,,,,,apparently it gives the body something
to work on to try and ease the Dawn Phenomenon..........my morning readings are always the highest of the day
after breakfast and medications the rest of the day they are fine......ive only been "nuts" for a week or so
but they seem to be helping.....not a lot ....but I will keep at them and see what happens.

It might be a good plan to test before you eat these nuts, and then again after an hour before you go to bed, and perhaps if you are awake after another hour, test again. If those nuts cause your levels to rise you may be trading off one high reading for another., and may even be higher throughout most the night than you would be if you didn't eat the nuts. I know this happened to me when I had a very rare late snack.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not sure I could eat that many nuts without 'the trade'. I typically need a small snack as it helps me sleep but it's more like 1/2 a hard boiled egg or a mushroom dipped in flavored mayo.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Only slightly better maybe

Not for me it isn't. It matters not whether I eat a slice of white or a slice of wholemeal .. My peaks from before to after are much the same. Agree, however, that wholemeal is better from a general health point of view.