What Are The Effects Of Weight Loss For T1?

P17BULL

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I understand that for T2 is better to lose weight so that they have to feed less cells with insuline. Do the same benefits apply to T1? As first thought, I would imagine that the same amount of sugar is worse for your body if you are a small person... But probably I'm missing something. Could anyone clarify?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @P17BULL In what context are you asking this ? As both conditions are completely different so it's impossible to compare like for like, so I am not sure what you are trying to find out.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I think the best point to make is that anyone who is overweight, regardless of T1, T2 or any other condition, benefits from getting their weight down to a healthy level. As a point of note, weight loss dcoesn't reduce the number of cells, it reduces the amount of fat in fat cells.

Reactions: 2 people

P17BULL

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @P17BULL In what context are you asking this ? As both conditions are completely different so it's impossible to compare like for like, so I am not sure what you are trying to find out.

I'm just trying to figure out if a weight loss could improve my condition. I'm not fat, just 3/4 kg overweight. Maybe if I reach a BMI of 23 could I improve something.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Having had cancer in last year, I would have been better off if I had more weight on me apparently!!

each of us are so individual.. Some people look drawn with even a 3/4kg loss on bmi of 23...i think if you end up looking "drawn" then thats not a good sign for internal organs either.

Depends what the "something" is that you wish to improve.

BMI to me is an average measuring stick. Look at rugby players and their BMI's... You got to really figure out what that 3/4kg is going to do for your "something"......