Type 1: Bad Diabetic

Robin_H

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I think this guy probably knows what the implications of poor control could be. The fact he is reaching out and asking the question suggests he wants to improve his control and awareness of his condition. He certainly does NOT seem to be burying his head in the sand. I agree, to minimise the chances of diabetes making life even harder later down the line, laziness in testing/control is something that will need to stop. The guy hasn't indicated his current testing habits and to be honest I would put money on there being others with worse habits. We are all human and none of us perfect. The way I read this was that Kyle was looking for some practical advice, not a Spiel on the implications of poor control.
My practical advice would be, if possible to get hold of a decent meter. I personally use an AccuChek Expert and find the graphics, averages and tables really informative. I can pick up patterns and check my performance instantly using this without having to download to a computer. If finger pricking is an issue, maybe the Freestyle Libre is something Kyle could look at. The company are doing a 30 day trial now and using it for this amount of time might provide some extra motivation and awareness.

My personal outlook is that I must never forget that I am the same person I was before this and it does not make me a lesser being. I am myself first and foremost. I have always looked after my health, it's just that diabetes means that I have to work a bit harder now. That includes testing. Maybe I'm lucky I was diagnosed at 30 and am mature enough to see the bigger picture. I refuse to be ruled by fear - that simply is not a way to live. As for the respect for diabetes the member above mentions, I do not respect. I have learned to adapt and tolerate but diabetes is not my friend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think it is maturity because those I know who have had bad outcomes with diabetes have all been older people.
My intention wasn't to use the word "Maturity" in a condescending way. It was to explain that many people need an event or experience in their life to find the strength to make these kinds of changes. The hope is that you'll find that strength without paying too much of a price.

For many people on this forum, their type 2 diagnosis was their motivation to lose weight and change their lifestyle.
For others it may have been something more permanent like the loss of a loved one.

For me, my motivation was found through "Maturity" in the more traditional sense. I eventually learned to realize that my actions don't just affect me and they can sometimes affect others even more. I'm very fortunate to have met my fiancee who cares about me probably more than I care about myself so part of my motivation is for her. I want to share a long and healthy life together and want to do everything I can to make sure that happens.

Ultimately, (at least for me) it's figuring out what you're most passionate about and finding a way to associate that with the more routine tasks, and I think that has to come through life experiences.

Reactions: 2 people

debsugs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
As an orthopaedic nurse, having looked after many patients with the complications of poor management, that's all I need!!