Fatigue And Lethargic

Bow's

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Type 1 diabetes is new to me, I was only diagnosed about 8 weeks ago. My first blood glucose reading read Hi and my first Ketone reading was 5.4. I seem to be getting it under control but is it normal to be feeling so tired and Lethargic all the time?

Reactions: 2 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think you will with BG readings of High and with keytones. It means you are not processing the glucose so your cells are starved of energy and hence the keytones.

When you get those levels down below 10 you will suddenly have the energy of a spring lamb in comparison.

Are you drinking lots of water to help flush out the glucose and keytones?

Linking in some T1s to help

@azure @tim2000s @Juicyj @noblehead @himtoo

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi and welcome @Bow's

Yes it is normal, I remember too well feeling lethargic for some time after diagnosis, when you think about it our bodies have been through quite a lot and it does take time to recover, so hang in there :)

Bow's

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks. I was just worried that it might be just something new to add to what's wrong with me.

Bow's

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I think you will with BG readings of High and with keytones. It means you are not processing the glucose so your cells are starved of energy and hence the keytones.

When you get those levels down below 10 you will suddenly have the energy of a spring lamb in comparison.

Are you drinking lots of water to help flush out the glucose and keytones?

Linking in some T1s to help

@azure @tim2000s @Juicyj @noblehead @himtoo
No I'm not drinking a lot of water to be honest. Not in comparison to the 15 litres per day I was drinking
In fact not much at all so I'll get on that.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @Bow's
welcome to the forum :)
I would suggest constant communication with your Diabetic nurse for individual care for how you are feeling.

It is normal to feel lethargic if your bloods sugar readings are anywhere above 12.0 --try and drink lots of water as suggested above , and hopefully you have been given some guidance on trying to keep to a routine in these early days.

IE -- injecting and testing and eating as much as possible at the same times each day -- this will help your body to settle down as well.

do keep posting as the days progress !!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks. I was just worried that it might be just something new to add to what's wrong with me.

Well it goes without saying, if you don't feel better over the next few weeks have a chat with your gp or diabetes team to rule out anything else.

Flakey Bake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All the advice so far is spot on. Also remember when your BG and ketones were so high prior to diagnosis, your body was stripping itself of any reserves it had in order to survive. After diagnosis I was physically a wreck, I had lost weight and muscle. It took a while to build my strength back up. I felt like I was wading through treacle. I still have ups and downs with energy depending on control and random factors. I think having a autoimmune condition natually makes you more fatigued because you body is always fighting off something (i.e. yourself!). Eat well, drink plenty of water, excerise gently and consider a multi vitamin. Live well and if you don't improve speak to your doctor.