Medical Bracelets

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I hope this is the right place to put this topic, other boards didn't seem that appropriate!

This week, a medical bracelet I ordered arrived in my mailbox. I don't have a car and cycle to all the places I need to be, which is great exercise. I also can't detect hypos while I exercise, which sometimes happens even with meticulous monitoring and having a carb snack before I go. Bad combo! And what if I get into an accident and am unconscious, how can I communicate that I need to have my glucose levels monitored?

Medical bracelets seem like a great way to receive adequate treatment on the scene of an accident. EMTs are trained to look for them and can determine immediately if I'm K.O. from a hypo by testing me, and that I can't have certain medication because of my insulin usage.

Although I'm a type LADA, I ordered my bracelet with the text "Type 1 Diabetes - Insulin Dependent" because that's basically what it is, and I've found that a lot of medical personnel are unaware of the term LADA or even type 1.5. I've never really heard of anyone else having this sort of bracelet, although they exist in all shapes and forms - for diabetics of all types, for allergies, epilepsy, ICE bracelets for kids etc..

GX0s8bo.jpg

I'm wondering if any members here have a bracelet (or other medical jewelry) like this, and what prompted you to get one? Has it ever been useful before? Is it unusual to have one, perhaps even overkill?

Reactions: 6 people
S

Shar67

Lots of people on this site have them and/or tattoos.
As it is a piece of jewellery you wouldn't know unless you looked if someone was wearing one

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Lots of people on this site have them and/or tattoos.
As it is a piece of jewellery you wouldn't know unless you looked if someone was wearing one

Interesting! I've heard that tattoos aren't the best alternative according to EMTs. Apparently they can't tell if the tattoo is meant to be decorative, in memory of or a tribute to someone suffering with the disease, or you having diabetes yourself. Especially when the designs get fancy they're easily overlooked or disregarded.

I'm not sure how true this is, I was considering getting a tattoo myself until I read up on this and decided a bracelet would be the best alternative for the time being. Would love to hear more about that though.

Reactions: 4 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
it seems durable and can't dig into my skin during sleep -- like the metal ones can

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, I've got a MedicAlert bracelet and have had it since diagnosis. I prefer MedicAlert and similar companies as they keep med records available for medical staff in case of emergency.

Lots of people here have similar bracelets or necklaces :)

Edited to add that mine's an original,steel one as I think,it's discreet but easily identifiable as med info not normal jewellery.

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
it seems durable and can't dig into my skin during sleep -- like the metal ones can

Makes sense! I considered those as well, but my skin is very sensitive and I felt like the silicone would make my skin sweat and get rashes.

Yes, I've got a MedicAlert bracelet and have had it since diagnosis. I prefer MedicAlert and similar companies as they keep med records available for medical staff in case of emergency.

Lots of people here have similar bracelets or necklaces :)

Edited to add that mine's an original,steel one as I think,it's discreet but easily identifiable as med info not normal jewellery.

I wonder if we have something like that in the NL. I don't leave my house without my wallet - ever - which has my health insurance card in it. As far as I know my records are available nation wide to all emergency care personnel, I've been hospitalized twice through ambulance and they were able to pull up my records once I was at the hospital no problem.

It's good to hear this is so common. :) I felt a little awkward because I don't know anyone around me in real life who has something like this, including the diabetics I know. I briefly considered it too much of an 'attention grabber' to my illness, literally wearing it on my sleeve, but nobody can tell what it says unless they inspect it up close deliberately. I feel considerably safer with one though.

Mine is a woven paracord bracelet with a strap buckle. Even through heavy exercise sweating I got no irritation on my skin, which gets two thumbs up from me. :D

I love how many kinds there are, too, so I'm definitely interested in seeing pictures!

Reactions: TheAndyC

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
yes, I have a medical bracelet that just says insulin dependant diabetic. I must admit I don't always wear it. I have found my medical Id on my phone to be more useful... paramedics refer to that and record everything from it. When I get to ER they do the same. It's great as I can't always talk much. The app records a lot more info than my bracelet does.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have a medical necklace, ordered from the states from Amazon, as I work with my hands and I kept damaging the bracelets.
I also keep a card in my wallet, giving correct information and treatment.

I was urged strongly by my endocrinologist to get one, because of the consequences of being injected with glucagon by a paramedic.

Mel©

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just started on an insulin pump yesterday and put this in my purse...I imagine if I'm ever in an accident/unconscious ppl would check my purse for a name/contact... Was buying a coffee today and I could see someone behind me reading it as I was paying,so it definately sticks out!

Reactions: 4 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I just started on an insulin pump yesterday and put this in my purse...I imagine if I'm ever in an accident/unconscious ppl would check my purse for a name/contact... Was buying a coffee today and I could see someone behind me reading it as I was paying,so it definately sticks out!
Hey @Mel©
great to hear you have started on a pump
:)

Reactions: 3 people

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have a Vital ID velcro bracelet with insert on one wrist and a metal bracelet on the other..

6cats

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Where do you get these from? I know about Medic Alert but the more flashy type look good!?!?!?

Reactions: 2 people

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm enjoying all this information, thanks everyone. :)

I have 2 one is gold for nights out (so that hardly gets worn) and a leather strap one also carry one of these in purse
http://www.theidbandco.com/Diabetes-Medical-Identity-Card-701

Oh! That's useful too. I'm going to hunt down a Dutch version if we have any. (I assume so.)

Congrats on the pump! I also have to say that purse is gorgeous. :D

Where do you get these from? I know about Medic Alert but the more flashy type look good!?!?!?

I don't know if you're asking me, but I got mine from Cobra Band on Etsy. :) They let you put custom text up to 4 lines on the kind of bracelet I have.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting! I've heard that tattoos aren't the best alternative according to EMTs. Apparently they can't tell if the tattoo is meant to be decorative, in memory of or a tribute to someone suffering with the disease, or you having diabetes yourself. Especially when the designs get fancy they're easily overlooked or disregarded.

I'm not sure how true this is, I was considering getting a tattoo myself until I read up on this and decided a bracelet would be the best alternative for the time being. Would love to hear more about that though.
Hi @DaftThoughts . I have a medical necklace and I also have a medical tattoo. After a lot of research about tattoos I noticed that a lot of people created their own designs which is fine but are in no way informative or obvious to the medical profession. There is a recognised medical alert symbol.
It's called the Rod of Asclepius. Goggle it for the history of how it symbolises medicine, it's quite interesting.
It's a simple design, I have it on my left inner forearm with the text DiabeT1c underneath the main design.
If anyone from the medical profession fails to see or recognise it for what it is then all hope is gone.
P.S. I love it and what it says about me.

Reactions: TheAndyC

LaurenMoffitt

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I hope this is the right place to put this topic, other boards didn't seem that appropriate!

This week, a medical bracelet I ordered arrived in my mailbox. I don't have a car and cycle to all the places I need to be, which is great exercise. I also can't detect hypos while I exercise, which sometimes happens even with meticulous monitoring and having a carb snack before I go. Bad combo! And what if I get into an accident and am unconscious, how can I communicate that I need to have my glucose levels monitored?

Medical bracelets seem like a great way to receive adequate treatment on the scene of an accident. EMTs are trained to look for them and can determine immediately if I'm K.O. from a hypo by testing me, and that I can't have certain medication because of my insulin usage.

Although I'm a type LADA, I ordered my bracelet with the text "Type 1 Diabetes - Insulin Dependent" because that's basically what it is, and I've found that a lot of medical personnel are unaware of the term LADA or even type 1.5. I've never really heard of anyone else having this sort of bracelet, although they exist in all shapes and forms - for diabetics of all types, for allergies, epilepsy, ICE bracelets for kids etc..

GX0s8bo.jpg

I'm wondering if any members here have a bracelet (or other medical jewelry) like this, and what prompted you to get one? Has it ever been useful before? Is it unusual to have one, perhaps even overkill?
Where did you get it from please? I love paracord items as I'm a Girlguiding Leader. Thanks