Want Another Baby!

Charisma_1630

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I need some advice.

I have one child who I gave birth to 4 years ago, I was on MDI at the time. She was planned but I was very naive that I didn't go to preconception clinic, I didn't really take care of myself until I got the positive at which point I really started taking good care and through really hard work of hourly tests, basically being my own sliding scale, I got my a1c down to 6.1. (Lowest it's ever been) but I want to plan ahead and do it properly this time.

Anyway I've been thinking of having another baby for a long time now but my problem is I started the omnipod one month ago and my sugars are all over the place. I've been emailing my nurse a lot but she isn't in any hurry to help me get the control I want and I'm not very confident to change too many settings myself. I know it can take a long time to get better levels on a pump. My questions are should I wait months/a year until my control is better before speaking about it to my team?
And also, what happens with preconception clinic with the pump, what does the clinic actually do?

I don't wanna have to wait as you ladies know what it's like when you're desperate for another baby lol

Last edited by a moderator:

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Good Morning @Charisma_1630
I will tag @azure for some assistance on the pregnancy side of things. ( no help from me there as I am a bloke ):)

I started on an omnipod 10 months ago and I can honestly say it took a good 8 weeks before things settled down and I started seeing good numbers consistently.

My DSN was very good but did not try to rush things either -- the changes were made in a measured timely way and we discussed them on the phone twice a week ( long phone calls with me reading out all of the numbers on my daily log sheets )
perhaps ring and get communication going that way ?

Reactions: 2 people

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Charisma_1630 i was pumping for both my pregnancies (2yr old and baby twins). I think with pregnancy anyway you are always reacting to changes in your sugar levels and having to adjust your insulin -well I was anyway.
I'm not on the omnipod both myself and my 2yr old who is t1 too are on a different brand but I assume it's the same theory.
Have you been told to do a basal test? That's what I did and still do sometimes now just to make sure it's right. Nights I used to set the alarm twice a night to test. Make sure you know what your ratios are and whether you need to have insulin significantly before meals -can you dual and square wave on yours?? Try keep to a low gi diet to stop spikes. I used to test half hour after meals to make sure I was on target. My last hba1c before I had the twins was 33. xx

Charisma_1630

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow 33 is amazing! Sorry to hear your little one being diabetic too. I can't imagine how hard that must be.

So far in the past month they've asked me to do 2 basal tests. Both at breakfast time. The other day I suggested I do a lunch time test as every day post lunch I go up to around 18. She ignored this and suggested I do another breakfast one so I think I'm going to start doing my own basal tests and then ask them what I should change. I wake up most nights at 3am anyway to test and usually correct. Do you use a cgm or were you offered one during pregnancy? I have got the dual wave settings but haven't been taught to use them yet, I think that'll be the next stage of my pump training although not sure when that will be yet.

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I'm on the omnipod. I think I was on it about 8 weeks before I fell pregnant this time, but I was completely comfortable on it and confident in my own ability. I don't think u can put a timescale on it, as I think I was on it 5 weeks before I came off the pill, but I think if you are questioning if you are ready you possibly need a bit longer. By the time I felt ready I felt confident enough to know when things needed changing myself and actually said to my nurse 'I feel confident enough to start trying now.'

She was amazing and if my levels were up at a certain time of the day what did she think I should do and she would guide me. I think that's your next step. Look at your patterns and you suggest to to your dsn changes you think you should make. If you're wrong I think she would be able to guide you to the right change. Don't rush into it, until you are ready! You will need to be confident in tweaking it yourself should you fall pregnant X

Reactions: 4 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Charisma_1630 :)

I've had my pump years now but when I first got it. I was lucky enough that my basal settings were estimated pretty well, so I didn't have much tweaking to do. That helped a lot. The rep from the pump company actually set mine, in consultation with my DSN, and his experience was obviously very helpful.

I find the biggest issue many new pump users seem to have is not having enough basal rates. My pump's hourly rates match my insulin needs really well, which is why I love it. For me, the trick was to throw away any expectations about 'normal' basal rates and go with what worked for me. That means some of my rates are absolutely tiny (early hours of night) but others are much bigger (to cover dawn phenomenon). So, in consultation with your team, don't be afraid to make changes or think you have to have the same amount of basal for X number of hours. You don't.

If you can get the basal sorted, you'll find things much easier. Meal ratios are simpler to sort, I think.

I can understand how much you want another baby, but getting your pump settings sorted is wise not just for the health reasons, but also to reduce your stress and allow you to enjoy your pregnancy. Also, you'll be making lots of adjustments anyway during pregnancy, so getting all this under your belt will stand you in good stead.

I agree with @Sarahkylie88 that you can't put a timescale on how long it'll take to get things sorted. But if you put your mind to it, I'm sure it won't be as long as you fear :)

Edited to add that I e never used a CGM and wasn't offered one in pregnancy, but I did do lots and lots of blood tests. My lowest HbA1C in pregnancy was 27, but they ranged from 27 to 32 (I think - baby brain still!)

Charisma_1630

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for all your replies. You know what it's like when you want the baby feeling and it brings you down a little seeing pregnant people and newborns everywhere but maybe I should use it to motivate me to get there quicker, maybe I have been a bit lazy and slack this month. Being high a lot has got rid of my hypo anxiety so I think I've enjoyed it in a way. But I like the idea above that I start doing all the testing off my own back, looking at patterns and just make the suggestions to my nurse to get their input that way, that's definitely my new plan going forward. Sometimes it really helps to get others perspective who've been in the same boat. Thank you x

Reactions: 3 people