Are we on the right track??

lennycape

Hi I am new to this all earlier this month I was diagnosed with diabetes. My fasting blood sugar level was 6.7. I do believe that with the right diet and exercise I will be able to reduce that figure.

For over 2 week I have managed have5 or 6 small meals a day and my 2 hour after a meal was 3.1 and 3.6 (after various meals). Today I was not feeling all that great so I only managed to have 3 small meals and I included a small piece of Avocado & 1 medium potatoes… 2 hours later when I tested my sugar it was 7.6….. I then did some exercise and it came down to 5.2….

My partner has been amazing and is eating the same as I do and has been very supportive. We have both lost centimetres and about a kilogram. We eat loads of beans, pulses and veg. only thing we have really cut out of our diet is cookies, ice creams, white bread and POTATOES we love potatoes. He is 100% vegetarian and I eat mostly white meats. We do not cook in oils and eats loads of seeds -pumpkin, flax and sesame.

We make loads of stews and use filler veg in a stew i.e. marrow, eggplant, green beans, green peppers, red peppers and all the meat I eat is lean and chicken has no skin. All our beans, pulses and veg are raw and not cooked till they are soggy. We also eat loads of herbs (garlic) & seeds such as pumpkin, sesame, linseed, sunflower - I add it into any stew / food I am making.
We have 3 portions of fruit salad & seeds and low fat yogurt a day. All our fruit is fresh - guava, apple, pear, orange, peach and what ever else is available.

Are we on the right track???

Is Avocados a fruit to be avoided or is it that I missed 3 small meals?

I hope to hear from you soon

Lenny

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Lenny,

I think that an HbA1c of 6.7% isn't sooo far out of whack that it can't be normalised with a reduction of sugars and starches. No guarantees of course, but the odds are probably on your side.

You didn't say whether you were using medication yet, but the numbers in the 3's suggest you are. Keep a watchful eye on that because you will probably need to use much less.

It sounds as if you are definitely on the right track and you've cut out most of the 'bad boys' already.
As for the avocados, I don't have a problem with them at all as they are very low in carbohydrate. I think your blood sugar spike would have been down to the potato as it is very starchy. Otherwise it sounds as if you're eating lots of great stuff, although much of the other fruit is off limits for some of us.

Good luck

fergus

lennycape

Hi there!! thanks for replying to my post ..... I really hope it works as I do not want to go down the same path as other family members have gone.

Yes I am on medication - 250mg of Metformin - I seem to have adjusted to the meds very well and only have heartburn but the rest is smoothsailing.

I am only having 3 GI low slices of Bread a day - 1 slice for a snack and then 2 slices for lunch (which is very Hard) I am use to eating on the go but now i am having to plan my meals ahead which is ok just hard to keep up with.

I was very annoyed last night I checked my sugar 2 hours after dinner and it was 5.5... I was sooo not impressed cause I had only eaten boiled cabbage, chicken, and a bit of tamatoe stew (mostly free veggies in it to bulk it up.

I cook one big pot of stew a week and then freeze it all in portions so this week is Veggie Tomotoe stew.... last week was Veggie & beans Curry.

I am really trying hard and I do not feel like i am getting anywhere ...

Anyway I have to get back to work ... I look forward to hearing from you again

Lenny

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Lenny,you are getting numbers already that most of us only dream about!!You are doing really well so please don't worry about your numbers being in the 5's,wish mine were most of the time!

Trinkwasser

lennycape said:
Is Avocados a fruit to be avoided or is it that I missed 3 small meals?

Avocados are good.

My NHS dietician had a hissy fit because they are high fat BUT it's thoroughly beneficial fat. The only bad thing about avocados is that we have to leave them on the windowsill until they're ripe <taps fingers impatiently>

Katharine

Lennie,

Do you not get fed up eating the same stew all week or do you just make one stew and rotate the frozen ones?

Katharine.

FolkyRose1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
people looking down at me as if wondering why l am in a wheel chair (I am in a high risk of falling
I started the doctor diet site. I kept to the diet for a week. I found that I was fasting some meals because I didn't feel hungry. My sugars were in th 300s (180=10)after the week my sugars were still to high but greatly reduced. I can't weigh myself as I am in a wheel chair and because of my arthritis I can't walk, I can't stand still so the scales go all over the place. I got very ill the worst thing was vomitting. I believe that LCHF is too strict, well diet doctor is. I got some low carb cook books some time ago, my hubby shops and cooks as I am not mobile enough to do it myself. He didn't seem bothered about it. I said to him that with my sugars the first thing l can expect is a heart attack, or some of the other bad things, and that if he didn't want to help just say so and I will end it quickly ( depression ha s set in). I feel that the diet doctor method is far to strict a nod doesn't agree with me. I also had the other problems like cramp and headaches. Today I had a day off and I felt like my old self . No sickness or even nausea . I want to try again but not with diet doctor. Can anyone tell me if it was just to strict for me. Can anyone tell me a Lchp that maybe isn't as strict .
Sorry to get up on my soap box but if I lose about 4 stones I can have knee replacement surgery (hence my avatar lol)

FolkyRose1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
people looking down at me as if wondering why l am in a wheel chair (I am in a high risk of falling
I started the doctor diet site. I kept to the diet for a week. I found that I was fasting some meals because I didn't feel hungry. My sugars were in th 300s (180=10)after the week my sugars were still to high but greatly reduced. I can't weigh myself as I am in a wheel chair and because of my arthritis I can't walk, I can't stand still so the scales go all over the place. I got very ill the worst thing was vomitting. I believe that LCHF is too strict, well diet doctor is. I got some low carb cook books some time ago, my hubby shops and cooks as I am not mobile enough to do it myself. He didn't seem bothered about it. I said to him that with my sugars the first thing l can expect is a heart attack, or some of the other bad things, and that if he didn't want to help just say so and I will end it quickly ( depression ha s set in). I feel that the diet doctor method is far to strict a nod doesn't agree with me. I also had the other problems like cramp and headaches. Today I had a day off and I felt like my old self . No sickness or even nausea . I want to try again but not with diet doctor. Can anyone tell me if it was just to strict for me. Can anyone tell me a Lchp that maybe isn't as strict .
Sorry to get up on my soap box but if I lose about 4 stones I can have knee replacement surgery (hence my avatar lol)

PS I am on metformin and insulin

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi there. Where I live the local nursing home and extended care home both have a scale that will weigh someone in a wheelchair. First they weigh the chair, then the chair with the person in it and subtract the weight of the chair. The chair itself only has to be weighed once. Also many sling lifts have scales built into them. We used those to weigh clients weekly while transferring them. Might be worth looking into, I don't think most places would mind someone coming in occasionally to get weighed.

FolkyRose1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi there. Where I live the local nursing home and extended care home both have a scale that will weigh someone in a wheelchair. First they weigh the chair, then the chair with the person in it and subtract the weight of the chair. The chair itself only has to be weighed once. Also many sling lifts have scales built into them. We used those to weigh clients weekly while transferring them. Might be worth looking into, I don't think most places would mind someone coming in occasionally to get weighed.
I tried my doctors(large place with about 40 consulting rooms)the doctor said they didn't have a sit on scales and I asked at a local hospital and pharmacies. I live in Spain