Dangers In The Home

mark51

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Negative people, Rain
Every one seems to be missing the point, I always check foods and drinks. We have a three year old grandson who visits twice a week. So whether I'm drinking it or he is its not good.
I don't expect every one to eat low carb, low sugar drink and food all the time. But surly a little consideration when something can be low or no sugar is not to much to ask in your own home making it as safe as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Every one seems to be missing the point, I always check foods and drinks. We have a three year old grandson who visits twice a week. So whether I'm drinking it or he is its not good.
I don't expect every one to eat low carbon, low sugar products and food all the time. But surly a little consideration is not to much to ask in your own home making it as safe as possible.

I love your tattoo..

But to be fair to your wife.. Does she make sure all other H&S precautions are implemented around the home for the grandson?
Plug socket blanks, table corner rubbers, cupboard locks, stair gates, that sort of thing..??

Reactions: 2 people

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't understand why you think that your wife should buy low sugar squash when you don't drink it normally ?
CAROL

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
So in your own home you check everything before you eat or drink!
Really! The one place it should be safe because you only bring safe stuff in.

Hi, as you have said that you don't normally drink squash, but fancied a change, why on earth didn't you check the bottle. A new product, you are type 2, so basically, it's check and check again, unless it's a product you always use, but it wasn't.
There are many, many dangers in the home, but squash, isn't one of them( unless a person as a severe allergic reaction to the ingredients, that could possibly be fatal) I am sorry, but I don't agree ( just put it down to experience)
All the best RRB

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't expect every one to eat low carb, low sugar drink and food all the time. But surly a little consideration when something can be low or no sugar is not to much to ask in your own home making it as safe as possible.

Actually, I think we are all getting several points - just not the one that blames your wife.

Personally, I wouldn't be giving a 3 year old squash at all, whether it had sugar or not. All the artificial colours, flavours, sweeteners and preservatives make me view it as a toxic chemical soup, and I certainly wouldn't be drinking it myself or giving it to a child.

But hey ho. Each to their own.

Reactions: 6 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@mark51

If you get stressed out by the Bydureon injections. Try setting up a comfortable environment? (Favourite chair.) in a calm quiet atmosphere.. Or maybe coincide it with a favourite TV program, making it more routine?
I've sort of developed a "ritual" with injections alongside the testing & can do it on the fly. (I've only been at it for the last 40 years!) ;)

Changing the subject a little. What was wrong with your car?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm with @Brunneria . Sugary drinks are not healthy for anyone, especially type 2s.
I think we are all guilty of assuming drinks now are no added sugar, sugar free as so readily available.
Looks like your wife bought what she can normally get hold of. I've seen full sugary drinks reduced lately. It's becoming unfashionable as well as unhealthy. Maybe soon they will be given warning labels like cigarettes!!!
This might help, us all.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Every one seems to be missing the point, I always check foods and drinks. .

So as I see the facts................
You "always check food and drinks" but you didn't do it on this particular occasion. And the fact that you didn't check, is the fault of somebody else?

Or am I still missing the point?

mark51

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Negative people, Rain
Hi Jaylee, the problem with the bydureon is the diameter of the needle. Due to the drug being a mix of powder and a liquid which you mix in the unit. The needle has to be big enough to allow the mix through. It actually indents the skin before it penitrates the skin. And nearly always bruises.

As for the car that's another story. I work for a consultancy that works in the automotive and aviation industry. I've just changed my last car as I covered 50000 trouble free miles in 2 years. So I purchased another the same, it's a Volvo v40 r-design.
So after two week and 1700 miles the linkage on the clutch breaks. No clutch. Great. No car. So as I needed to be in several areas of the UK the following week I was given a courtesy car. I think I put just under 900 miles on it in the week. Cars back and all fine.

lindisfel

Expert
Got married in 1962 and soon after the honeymoon one morning in a daze (had to get up at 630am for work) I said to my young wife, "cup of tea mum!!" I soon realized my wife was not my mother! :) I reckon we should not expect our partners to carry us about like our mothers did! Mind you my mother kept vinegar in a ginger beer bottle, or so I found out! Whilst checking for something to consume one night from the pantry without permission I polished off some carby treat and attempted to swill it down with ginger beer straight from the bottle and got a well earned lesson for rifling the pantry! Nb Mark.. exercise caution at all times before you feed your face and don't expect a partner to cater for ever whim. :) ;) Derek

S

Sharon Anne

But if course well done on your weight loss and thank you for sharing with us the anxiety you admit to feeling .
Anxiety is cruel and can be relentless I hope you pat yourself on the back for ypur achievements I know how hard it is as as I beleave do others who kindly welcomed me when I joined .

mark51

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Negative people, Rain
But if course well done on your weight loss and thank you for sharing with us the anxiety you admit to feeling .
Anxiety is cruel and can be relentless I hope you pat yourself on the back for ypur achievements I know how hard it is as as I beleave do others who kindly welcomed me when I joined .

Thank you Sharon Anne, it's good to see someone understands some of the points I was making.

Hellrazor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
i am sorry to hear you are feeling nervous /anxious,But i check everything i consume even if it is in the cupboard.why because my wife has to cater for 2 different lifestyles Diabetic and non Diabetic.she does a brilliant job in the main and i s my rock labels stuff Dad's so the kids dont pinch it etc she does make mistakes occasionaly.Here is my point it is just as hard for loved ones to come to terms with the condition so dont give them a hard time mistakes are part of the human DNA.Work together achieve together make them your rock warts and all .Wishing you all the best on your journey ,and were here if you need us

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jaylee, the problem with the bydureon is the diameter of the needle. Due to the drug being a mix of powder and a liquid which you mix in the unit. The needle has to be big enough to allow the mix through. It actually indents the skin before it penitrates the skin. And nearly always bruises.

As for the car that's another story. I work for a consultancy that works in the automotive and aviation industry. I've just changed my last car as I covered 50000 trouble free miles in 2 years. So I purchased another the same, it's a Volvo v40 r-design.
So after two week and 1700 miles the linkage on the clutch breaks. No clutch. Great. No car. So as I needed to be in several areas of the UK the following week I was given a courtesy car. I think I put just under 900 miles on it in the week. Cars back and all fine.
I see where your coming from with the needles.. There will be some "old school" T1s like me who can remember the knitting needle reusables & the glass & metal syringes. The bruising on my legs in the mid 1970s as an 8 year old.
I actually empathise on this.

Lol, the car. I've just changed my van. This week..
I'm just about to embark on a 30 mile trip with my wife & a boot load of tools to recover it outside a friend's house from last night. It seems like the "aftermarket" alarm imobilizer wouldn't play ball...
Lucky. I do know my way around these Jap imports. Though I do have breakdown cover. I would only use em to tow anything in I couldn't fix?

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I understand where you are coming from in terms of feeling that you need more support. My husband is a lovely person, but as he hasn't experienced any type of disease or illness in his life (neither have his immediate relatives), he doesn't always get that Type 2 Diabetes is a life long condition that has to be carefully controlled.
That said, I would always check something that I haven't had before, even in my own home. It's just part of what we do as diabetics.

Stress isn't good for blood sugar, so I wouldn't let yourself get too worked up about this incident. It was a one off, and a learning curve. Look past it now.

Reactions: 4 people

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
We don't all read posts in the same way but 2000 viewers didn't have a response maybe because they thought the same as me.

Or maybe they just wanted to consider what their response should be.

I think it perfectly reasonable to expect support from your family where health and well being is concerned. I get it from my family who fully understand that it is not a matter of likes or dislikes curtain foods can be very dangerous to a diabetic, and they get it from me where their health concerns are involved.

I do not expect my family to eat as I do but where shared items are concerned they do not bring in sugar laden drinks and nutrition labels are paid attention to. If they are buying for them selves then they get what they like but they do point out the items that are not suitable if I have not noticed.

@mark51 I would suggest however that you should perhaps have separate storage and maybe your own space in the fridge or freezer..

Regards John

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, and by the way, I don't know how to see how many people have read a particular post and I'm not sure I'd even look. Maybe there are people who only respond to what they perceive as popular threads. That would be sad. Diabetes is a contest with your self, not with other people.

Galjia, just for your information:

On the lists of threads, in Recent posts or in each sub-forum list you see the following:

upload_2016-9-1_10-53-7.png

As you can see, the information includes the number of views the thread had has. I'm pretty surer that's what was being referred to. In this instance Avocado's name is only in read because I have already read the thread this morning, otherwise it would be in bold black, in the screen colour heme I am using.

I hope that helps.

CaptainEarle

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Mint chocolate, peanut butter and moths. Bleugh.
Hi all, I hope you are all well. The most important thing about this site is to lend support and advice. I believe everyone's intentions here are good and I genuinely don't believe anyone set out here to offend anyone. Hugs are always welcome, @Avocado Sevenfold especially stories about calling your wife "mother" @lindisfel (this made me laugh by the way) and thank you to all those who have commented for @mark51 (I hope you get your car sorted by the way.) @Jaylee has a very good suggestion about making things calmer when you're injecting- I hope you find something that works for you.

It's nearly Friday- let's have some good vibes :)
If anyone needs anything, please feel free to inbox me, I am always happy to help.

Reactions: 6 people