Losing Weight Eating Carbs In Moderation

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,
I'm looking for some inspiration.
I am type 1/ LADA and need to lose about 6kgs in weight. I also have a sensitive relationship with food that means if I 'smell' deprivation around food ie ban a food group/ Instill too many rules, I overeat. Finding my peace brought moderation- but struggling to lose weight. Low carb doesn't work for me- psychologically and socially. Has anyone here managed to lose weight through moderate (not low) carbing? Blood sugars ok (hba1c- 6.9) and take 9u levemir and 8-11u humalog per day. Inspiration pleeeeeesease!

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cutting back on carbs isn't so difficult, you just have to approach it with a determined mindset. It's not easy but it is achievable. The whole ideaology behind dieting for weight-loss, in any way shape or form, is about setting yourself rules and adhering to them fully.

If you're finding it difficult to low carb for whatever reason, then you could try a calorie restricted approach instead. So basically eat what you want, when you want - providing that you don't go over your selected calorie limit.

To be perfectly honest, the calorie restricted approach is the harder of the two (if you're finding rules an issue). This is because there is literally ZERO margin for over-eating. You over eat, you go over your target calorie intake for the day, the whole principle is a write off. At least with low-carbing, you could over-eat on foods that contain little to no carbs and will still be adhering to your rules.

Have you thought about having another go at low-carbing. Remember that there is no hard and fast value for low... 200g daily might be low for you, where as 10g daily for someone else could equally be classed as low. Try and estimate what your current daily carbohydrate intake is and maybe start with 75% of that?

You'll be just fine:)

Grant

Canadian_cousin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I too have deprivation issues about dieting, probably as a result of low-fat calorie counting dieting for about 50 years. I was ravenous all the time, and felt huge deprivation as I hated most of the food that I was supposed to eat as it was tasteless. This winter my diabetes was going out of control despite eating everything that they told me to, with lots of multi grain complex carbs, six small meals a day, low glycaemic choices of fruits and other foods, I was still failing. A friend of mine who knew I was struggling suggested that I investigate low-carb high-fat, and so I started researching and discovered this forum. I was greatly put off by the food recipes in a lot of the ketogenic books , But when I read a lot of the recipes on this site, for a low-carb lifestyle, I thought I could do that. That generally is described as 120 carbs a day or less. I decided to see if I could live with the lifestyle 50 carbs a day which in reality could be 40 up to 70 depending on what's happening. I felt I could eat very well, interesting sauces, lots of taste and the addition of red meats back into my diet. I used saturated animal fats, olive oil, coconut oil, butter, cream,Full fat cheeses and yogurt, and 85% dark chocolate and lots of things like avocados, nuts etc. It took a bit of doing to adjust, but I really like my food now and eat very well. Real food all the way!I have lost about 5 inches on my waistand really reduce the visceral fat which is so dangerous., And gone down two full clothing sizes in the last three months, without ever going into keytosis when I tested with the little strips. I just visited the doctor and got the results of my numbers from bloodwork, and they are astonishingly improved. For the last month I have been trying and intermittent fasting, 16 hours and an occasional 24.guided by Jason Fungs book the Obesity Code I find if I've had dinner with an adequate amount of fact the night before, I am not hungry in the morning and can easily get to lunch with just a coffee. I'm going to try a longer fast because I want the benefits that it can bring me to help raise my basal metabolism, and initiate Autophagy to help repair some of the damage that has been done by uncontrolled diabetes. Honestly, I can live this way for the rest of my life, feeling well fed, great food, taste and lots of choices at restaurants. So I've given up bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, and after a month I didn't miss them, And I rarely ever feel hungry now after being ravenous for so long on a higher carb diet. Experiment. I suggest that you try for a lifestyle low-carb diet, and focus on all the things that you can eat that you like. The weight-loss maybe slower but it's not hard or unpleasant to do. It doesn't have to be a hell for leather diet of deprivation. Best of luck