Hello..again..and A Question..

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well hello

It's been sometime since I last posted on this forum so allow me to explain my posting today in the hope someone may help.
I've been med- free type 2 Diabetic for the last 5 years or so and had no issues.
My hb1ac last year was 48 and my cholesterol was 5.
Now brings me to my question..
My hb1ac has now shot up to 60 (7.6 in old money) and my cholesterol is still 5.
I eat largely a plant-based diet and have been unable to exercise on my cross trainer for the last 6 months due to a knee injury.
I've had a bit of a summer bender with the booze as I've attended weddings, parties, some ceremonies and been on holiday.
I am to consult with my doctor on Monday.
So..
Can anyone advise if I'm to start Metformin? I believe I can get it down through exercise as my knee has now healed.
I'm perplexed by such an increase yet my cholesterol staying the same as a few years ago I had a CT scan and they said I had fat around my liver.
I'm 43, 5 ft 11 in and slim build and late onset with Diabetes, my father and Granddad were the same.
Any advice or what I should/could say to the Doctor is appreciated, my Dad did suffer abdominal cramps from metformin.

Many thanks (nice to be back!:)

Chris

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome back.

Normally above an HbA1c of 53 Metformin will be prescribed, but whether you accept them or not is entirely down to you. You can shake your head and say No Thank You. Or accept them and put them in a cupboard for future use if you find this necessary. Or take them and hope they help you. No-one can force you to take them. After all, diet is the key, not Metformin. I managed to get my levels down and stay down for over 2 years so far without medication, and dare I also say, without exercise other than dog walks and housework. It can be done.

Good luck. :)

Reactions: 2 people

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, thanks for the reply..
Your post would suggest diet is the key to your personal success, may I ask what diet you are on (or not!)
Thanks
Chris

carol43

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@MCMLXXIII A lot of people on his site follow the regime of LCHF. Have a look around the forum and there will be plenty of advice.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, thanks for the reply..
Your post would suggest diet is the key to your personal success, may I ask what diet you are on (or not!)
Thanks
Chris

I eat low carb, normal protein, high fat. I eat around 30g carbs a day, have some protein with every meal, and make up the rest with fats. I only eat berries for fruit. I avoid rice, pasta, cereals, bread and flour but do manage small portions of potatoes and Lidl high protein rolls (yes, bread, but very low carb bread). No sugar of course. That doesn't mean to say I don't have treats on special occasions. I no longer count or weigh anything (I did initially) but I eat to my meter. I test most meals most days. Oh and I have a glass of red wine every day, too.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Whilst your recent diet may be responsible for the HBa1C increase it is always possible you are a Late onset T1 and not T2 as you say you are slim build. Try to get back to where you were with that healthy diet and see if the HBa1C goes back down. If it doesn't then ask for the tests for T1 as it can come on slowly. Metformin always helps a bit with insulin resistance due to any fat deposits so it won't do any harm but the low-carb diet as always is a good start.

Reactions: MCMLXXIII

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all the helpful replies,
I'm booked in to see the Doctor on Monday about it.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

@MCMLXXIII The guy who eats krill is back! Remember they can't force you to take metformin, but as medicines go, it is considered a safe one. Good luck at the doc's.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pop over to Twitter, if you can forgive the odd L.F.C and play tweet, I cook all things Vegan @theplayandratel

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I managed to stay away from meds for the first 7 years of being diabetic. I finally agreed to the oral meds as everything I had tried wasn't working and I was concerned as I have heart disease in my family and didn't want to risk just continuing on with high sugar.... my hbA1c was 9.2% from memory and so that was when I agreed to take meds. I was on oral meds of all sorts for the next 5 years until they stopped working as well. They found out why too and it's because I don't produce sufficient insulin and need to be on insulin to manage my diabetes. So they took me off oral meds and said there was no point continuing with them as you need your own insulin for them to work. So see how you go with diet adjustments if you haven't tried any adjustments recently and if you still can't get it to work, then it's worth trying the metformin. See how you go. I wish you the best. :)