Recently diagnosed.

sue3098

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi nosher and Brunneria
Thanks for replying and the advice.
I hardly eat at meal times, I'm mindful of the amount. I've eaten brown rice everyday this week with small Apple as snack, breakfast of the eggs does me well to mid morning.. Eating snacks through out the day, avoiding sugar, I have had good bm all week. My work involves plenty of walking, lifting etc yesterday wasn't exactly taxing but I did have to put some effort in!!
I'm a paramedic so I have to be spot on with bm as you can imagine...
That's why I was so fed up yesterday

sue3098

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
Diet only
Also, this lunch wasn't a big lunch, I was at work and I prepare myself rice/chicken as a pack up in small container..the breakfast lasts me 2 hours then I eat a snack.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
As a paramedic what would be your advice about someone with RH having a very low hypo?

Talk about being put on the spot!

The question is something that I've talked about to a couple of paramedics.

Hope you are feeling better today.

sue3098

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
Diet only
Nosher!
I thought I'd leave it as long as possible before I revealed what I did for a living!!
It's a difficult one isn't it, it seems the reverse of everything I've been trained to deal with, I'd treat a person below bm of 4... However, my average bm is 3.6.. So I can't keep giving myself glucogel and fear i'd crash later on, also I could justify giving myself glucagon injection when I drop to 2.1 although I'm not unconscious obviously...
I think my advice would be to try and maintain the sugars without spiking.. Sound advice if only it was that easy. I would also suggest an apt with GP who I would hope would refer to a consultant who in turn would order an MRI to consider pituitary tumour or insulinoma, or at least rule these explanations out.
I however have had no such treatment, GP isn't interested and consultant will not consider these possibilities as they are 'so rare'.
I have no faith in my local hospital I'm afraid..
My advice to me would be to hypo somewhere out of area and get into a hospital that explores alternatives!!!
Bad me

Ps I've had a better day today thanks..
Hope you are well

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Nosher!
I thought I'd leave it as long as possible before I revealed what I did for a living!!
It's a difficult one isn't it, it seems the reverse of everything I've been trained to deal with, I'd treat a person below bm of 4... However, my average bm is 3.6.. So I can't keep giving myself glucogel and fear i'd crash later on, also I could justify giving myself glucagon injection when I drop to 2.1 although I'm not unconscious obviously...
I think my advice would be to try and maintain the sugars without spiking.. Sound advice if only it was that easy. I would also suggest an apt with GP who I would hope would refer to a consultant who in turn would order an MRI to consider pituitary tumour or insulinoma, or at least rule these explanations out.
I however have had no such treatment, GP isn't interested and consultant will not consider these possibilities as they are 'so rare'.
I have no faith in my local hospital I'm afraid..
My advice to me would be to hypo somewhere out of area and get into a hospital that explores alternatives!!!
Bad me

Ps I've had a better day today thanks..
Hope you are well

I'm really good, like yourself working and trying to figure what to eat!
Just chicken tonight! Maybe some full fat yoghurt!

Anyway, I posed the question because of my experience whilst having a hypo on my first OGTT. The staff nurse and the doctor on call didn't have a clue. Because I had the rebound effect. What should have been five hours turned into ten hours until they would allow me home. Once I started going hypo, they insisted on giving me lucozade and sandwich, which I didn't eat, they gave me tea anything to boost my glucose levels. Chocolate, biscuits, the jabs were next if I didn't respond.
I was unaware of what actually was happening. So after a rebound, feeling awful, dropping again, I then insisted on a plain biscuit and tea, black, no sugar and after only half an hour my bloods settled in the normal range.

Lesson well and truly learned

If you don't hyper, you don't hypo. Rebound, bouncing fluctuating blood glucose levels is a big no! So after that, a biscuit and a cuppa, something that will raise you slowly and the don't go hyper! After that a low carb small meal to help you till you sleep.
I find a good sleep, is always a recuperating good thing.
A bad sleep leaves you susceptible to a bad day, struggling to get your levels right.

Thanks for your honesty about the answer, admitting not knowing is a great way to realise that you need more knowledge and have an open mind. The willingness to learn and experiment through experience is the best way to understand your condition.

Carry on the great work you lot do.

Best wishes.

Reactions: 2 people

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with Brun and Nosher. Almost certainly the rice and apple and the lack of activity after your lunch.

How much rice did you have? I can tolerate a maximum amount of 100g cooked weight of whole grain basmati only. I also tolerate carbs much better at dinner time than lunchtime.

Try not to be disheartened. You are going through a period of experimenting and it's the only way to find out what you can tolerate and how much.

Activity after a meal can help to avoid a spike and the resulting hypo. I sometimes run up and down the stairs at home or a run in round the garden after a meal and it does help! My family think I'm a little crazy it I'll do anything to avoid a hypo .

Hope you're feeling better now.

sue3098

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Kaz
I didn't actually have much rice.. I was at work so I did do activity after, but nothing strenuous, I have a physical job so was on the go.
Thanks for your reply..
I spend my time lately just working out what I can eat, make homemade lunches, and my bm is still unstable.
I will persevere with my diet, just sometimes I'm thrown off track when I think I have it sorted.
I am trying
Hope you are well.

Reactions: 2 people