Anyone else vegan?

jingyd36

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hello

I want to go back ton following a vegan plant based diet. I was doing this previously and felt well but after my hba1c was 40 (gp said all ok no need to diet change as I walk going through immense stress at the time ) and cholesterol high. I decided to go on a lchf diet but I felt dreadful all last week so have stopped. I also don't feel high fat is right for someone who has anot LDL of 3.9 and Triglycerides of 3.

My question is does anyone else here eat vegan/plantbased with good results with regards to their hba1c? I jist worry about carb intake.

Thank you.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have found the LCHF way of eating has reduced my cholesterol to the point of being taken off of statins.. I am vegetarian so only increased my olive oil and coconut oil intake.

Carbs are very addictive, so you will have withdrawal symptoms

Reactions: 3 people

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am vegetarian, not vegan, but follow a LCHF diet to control my blood glucose levels. I haven't had an increase in cholesterol after increasing the amount of fat I ate, only difference I found was that I wasn't hungry.

I try to have 'healthy fats' such as avocado etc

D

Deleted member 43917

Have just been switching to an almost vegan diet. Like you, I found that high fat - at least high animal fats - didn't agree with me - I ended up with blotchy skin (which still hasn't gone) and felt unwell. I am still eating eggs, but gave up milk/cheese/yogurt and after I gave them up I found that my cravings really diminished. I do still eat avocados regularly and flax seed and am looking to introduce coconut oil occasionally to see how that affects things.

However, depending on how this eating approach goes, I may still revert back to eating a little chicken or fish every now and then. I've read of others who switched to vegan who experienced hair loss and as I've already had that, I don't want any more.

I have yet to get my HbA1C tested again, but I'm really hoping its come down.

jingyd36

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Thank you so much.

Well I was a veggie then went back to fish and chicken. I've always wanted to go fully vegan but now I'm trying to eat mainly plant based but maybe still eating salmon twice a week for health reasons. I've given up eggs because of my high cholesterol. I am missing dairy but not cheese as in hard cheese, but mozarella and soured cream. I love both but trying to really go strict as on lchf I found I was eating alot of dairy and it did not agree with my ibs at all and I've nasty cystic spots too. The low carb gave me carb flu and with cfs that was not good for me.

Good luck. I'd love to know if your hba1c is better now. Do you follow lower carbs as a vegetarian? I'm trying to lower mine and having fats from avocado, flaxseed seed and olive oil every day.

Thanks again.

Julie

Welshman1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi jingyd36. I'm a veeg

A few years ago I discovered that I am pretty much lactose intolerant (drink milk or eat cheese and I will go deaf). On top of that I loathe eggs! So the easier option was to go began.

A month ago I was diagnosed T2 and since diagnosis i have largely stayed with a LCHF diet. Lots of beans and pulses of course and plenty of veggies. Now, I know veggies have carbs in them so I regularly check my monitor to see what is and isn't good.

So far chick peas, red kidney, haricot, aduki, and butter beans are all good. So too are lentils (Inc red, green and puy). Most green veg and salad is good, although I do carefully portion control as I need to shift a few stone.

I am told lots of diabetic veegs love nuts, but as they would probably kill me, I stay away from the little devils!!

Lots of Mediterranean cooking can be great for veeg diabetics. Look for recipes for taboulleh - pure gold! Also check out Yotam Ottolenghi - a lot of his recipes can easily be veganised. I make a mean shakshuka but substitute peppered tofu for egg.

Enjoy

Reactions: WuTwo

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was med free type 2 for over 5 years, but a knee injury stopped me from combining my Vegan diet with my daily stint on the cross-trainer, therefore I suffered a recent spike in my hb1ac.
I'm back on the exercise now and sticking with the plant-based foods as my cholesterol level (which prior to being vegan was awful) are spot on now.
Substituting flax oil for fish oil gives me my omegas and most of the cruciferous vegetables provide my nutrients for my dietary requirements.
I plan to get tested again in 3 months and assess my progress, I usually plato around 48, but my recent spike sent me to 60.
Meanwhile if anyone wants any ideas or anything else vegan (plays- I act, and L.F.C) I'd love to converse with you on Twitter as well as here @theplayandratel
Thanks to Avocado Sevenfold for pointing this forum out to me, I't been a while..
Oh yeah, and I like Badgers, especially Honey ones, which is more of a weasel really, a.k.a The Ratel :woot:

Reactions: 2 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I was vegetarian too, but I cant eat beans or lentils without spiking. Cant abide tofu, so for my sanity and health I went back to eating meat.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Thank you so much.

Well I was a veggie then went back to fish and chicken. I've always wanted to go fully vegan but now I'm trying to eat mainly plant based but maybe still eating salmon twice a week for health reasons. I've given up eggs because of my high cholesterol. I am missing dairy but not cheese as in hard cheese, but mozarella and soured cream. I love both but trying to really go strict as on lchf I found I was eating alot of dairy and it did not agree with my ibs at all and I've nasty cystic spots too. The low carb gave me carb flu and with cfs that was not good for me.

Good luck. I'd love to know if your hba1c is better now. Do you follow lower carbs as a vegetarian? I'm trying to lower mine and having fats from avocado, flaxseed seed and olive oil every day.

Thanks again.

Julie
Eggs don't cause high cholesterol by the way. Our bodies make it, we don't get it from food.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I was med free type 2 for over 5 years, but a knee injury stopped me from combining my Vegan diet with my daily stint on the cross-trainer, therefore I suffered a recent spike in my hb1ac.
I'm back on the exercise now and sticking with the plant-based foods as my cholesterol level (which prior to being vegan was awful) are spot on now.
Substituting flax oil for fish oil gives me my omegas and most of the cruciferous vegetables provide my nutrients for my dietary requirements.
I plan to get tested again in 3 months and assess my progress, I usually plato around 48, but my recent spike sent me to 60.
Meanwhile if anyone wants any ideas or anything else vegan (plays- I act, and L.F.C) I'd love to converse with you on Twitter as well as here @theplayandratel
Thanks to Avocado Sevenfold for pointing this forum out to me, I't been a while..
Oh yeah, and I like Badgers, especially Honey ones, which is more of a weasel really, a.k.a The Ratel :woot:
Just been chortling away at your twitter :D I am not very good at social media, but will keep an eye out for your stuff.

Can I ask if you make your own mozzarella or whether you have found a decent bought one? Your tart on 10 August looks amazing.

Reactions: 2 people

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

suginami

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm vegetarian for over 30 years. Vegan for over 10. There is nothing difficult about it. Vegetarians are often massive carb eaters. I was. Tons of brown pasta and brown rice. Now I'm very modest about carbs I'm type 2 diabetic. Was a huge wine drinker but not now. Cutting out dairy reduced my weight a lot. I seldom eat pasta any more. Whole wheat bread with seeds. Porridge every day.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I'm vegetarian for over 30 years. Vegan for over 10. There is nothing difficult about it. Vegetarians are often massive carb eaters. I was. Tons of brown pasta and brown rice. Now I'm very modest about carbs I'm type 2 diabetic. Was a huge wine drinker but not now. Cutting out dairy reduced my weight a lot. I seldom eat pasta any more. Whole wheat bread with seeds. Porridge every day.
Hi there :cat: Like you, I was veggie first. Vegetarian for 40 years then vegan for about 18 months now and I love it! My only regret is that I didn't change decades ago. I love porridge and used to eat it every day. I haven't had it as a meal (had it as an ingredient) since I was diagnosed T2, but should try it some time. Maybe if I padded it out with nuts and seeds it would lessen the carbs and increase the nutrition.

suginami

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there :cat: Like you, I was veggie first. Vegetarian for 40 years then vegan for about 18 months now and I love it! My only regret is that I didn't change decades ago. I love porridge and used to eat it every day. I haven't had it as a meal (had it as an ingredient) since I was diagnosed T2, but should try it some time. Maybe if I padded it out with nuts and seeds it would lessen the carbs and increase the nutrition.

Jumbo oats are complex carbs so they are good nutrition and slow burners. I use half a cup with a few walnuts and blueberries flaxseeds half a chopped apple, chia seeds. I don't eat much carb the rest of the day. Plus I walk over an hour every day and do squats and weight training at home. I'm pleased with my improved blood work.

TypeOne2007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been vegan for almost two years now, I have never felt healthier. Previously I had issues with cholesterol readings and high blood pressure but since changing my diet these haven't been a problem. A vegan diet can easily be high in carbs if you are eating a lot of pastas and breads which is easy to do since its some of the most easily accessible vegan foods. If you want to stay low in carbs eat lots of beans, tofu and make sure you have lots of fruits and veggies for nutrition. There are lots of resources online that will help with figuring out diet. The alternative milks are also great with being low carb. Overall it was a great decision, I hope it works for you!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am not vegan or veg but hardly a meat eater. My diet is 85% plant and 15% animal/fish protein. 80%!fat. Mostly avoacado, olive oil, mayo, olives and nuts. I only eat about 4 oz animal/ fish protein per day. I love an egg, and some fish. Occasionally lamb but all in very small quantities. I don't tolerate lots of dairy or legumes. No grains starches or fruit. So in my mind I have a good balance. Not a lot of protein, lots of good fats and some healthy veggie carbs

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
i have been vegan for a few months but my blood sugars are spiking alot and I am housebound with chronic fatigue syndrome. So i cant exercise much. Even mushrooms and spinach cooked with coconut oil on 1 slice of rye bread send me over 8 blood sugars in the morning. Smallest bit of rice and potato do the same its brutal, im trying but feel like **** and quite weak more so

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
i have been vegan for a few months but my blood sugars are spiking alot and I am housebound with chronic fatigue syndrome. So i cant exercise much. Even mushrooms and spinach cooked with coconut oil on 1 slice of rye bread send me over 8 blood sugars in the morning. Smallest bit of rice and potato do the same its brutal, im trying but feel like **** and quite weak more so
That's why I couldn't be vegan. I can't tolerate those carbs and would have no way to get enough protein.

If you've only been vegan a few months could you possible add some eggs, fish or cheese back in? An egg would be great on the spinach and mushrooms and I'm sure you'd see a much lower rise.

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That's why I couldn't be vegan. I can't tolerate those carbs and would have no way to get enough protein.

If you've only been vegan a few months could you possible add some eggs, fish or cheese back in? An egg would be great on the spinach and mushrooms and I'm sure you'd see a much lower rise.

sorry just seeing your reply. Thanks. I added fish in to 3 lunches a week. I still end up having loads of carbs despite having only 1/4 cup quinoa and 1/2 cup beans etc... its insane