I'm Really Struggling With This Curse I've Being Given!

Craftymoo1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
meat and fish,I am incredibly fussy eater!
I cannot get my head around this and I'm 9 weeks in! I don't know what foods to eat as I'm an incredibly fussy eater and the metformin that I take are making me poorly,I constantly feel sick and I'm having problems with severe diarrhoea even though I take food before I take the meds! They are bringing my blood sugars down slowly but I don't know how much more I can take. What if I stop taking the meds,how will that effect me? Obviously I know
My blood sugars will go back up but what's a safe level? Do I actually need metformin? I just want to curl up in a corner and cry!

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
a5b20f6786087509b446e1e19d84d052_thumb.jpg
95d876df9e0ba379c7b4548889f264cd_thumb.jpg
these charts show pre , diabetic ,and t1 t2 levels , please have a look at the info that @daisy1 will post for you,remember we are all in this together and the forum and posters here will give you every help and advices to get you into a good place, have a look at the thread " what have you eaten today" for some good ideas,clive

Reactions: 4 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Are you having a low-carb diet? If the Metformin bowel problems don't clear within 1-2 weeks then do ask the GP for the Slow Release version which is much kinder. Metformin doesn't make a big difference to blood sugar and helps most if you have excess weight.

Reactions: 2 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
@Craftymoo1, also ,diabetes is a disease of the nerves and when our blood sugars are high,it will affect our emotions,so this will abate as you get blood sugars down,clive

Bevz45

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks Clive the drive as I have been suffering with really bad anxiety lately and my Dr said it's because my sugars are high. They have introduced Sitagliptin now so I'm hoping my anxiety will ease soon.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Please don't see your T2 as a curse, try to view it as more of a challenge .. it can be interesting to reduce your blood sugars with a change of diet. I also had a big problem with metformin, and do not take it now as my blood sugars are back in the normal range.
@demoricho The original poster is T2 and this can mostly be diet controlled, You are T1 on Insulin and can just adjust your insulin to what you eat.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have Just joined. Why can't you eat what you like?
You can of course but some foods make the level of sugar in your blood high and that's the measure that is used to diagnose you as diabetic. If you don't want to be a potentially sick diabetic then avoid the foods that raise your blood sugar.

I am replying assuming you are a type 2 diabetic who does not take insulin. If you are a type 1 with questions then it would be helpful if you opened your own thread in the section appropriate to your question.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I have found that some days I can eat certain foods and my levels be alright yet another time I cna eat the same food stuff and it sends the level high...... my body is deff hard work to get along with grrrrr

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have Just joined. Why can't you eat what you like?
'Cos any carbs are converted to glucose in the body and that increases blood sugar. If you are T1 then you won't have enough insulin to use the glucose to keep the blood sugar down and if T2 then you probably have insulin resistance which stops the body using the glucose. Either way keep the carbs down and use a meter to determine by how much.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Having read hundreds if not thousands of threads, it is clear that not all Type 2's react the same to different foods (similar for Type 1's and those with 1.5 or 3). All things being equal, low carb diet, exercise and sleep will eventually allow you to remove Metformin. I believe it is vitally important to get your mental side right. I am not a psychologist so cannot point you in the direction to gain the best acceptance of this challenge. I don't like to be controlled, so this I saw / see diabetes as an adversary I have to fight. I handled this as I thought it was cancer symptoms I had so had a relief when diagnosed Type 2, I then had an aftershock when I appreciated that diabetes needs careful management.

This is a good site for ideas as well http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb.

S

Shar67

It is early days, look at it as a personal challenge rather than a curse.
You need to go to your GP or diabetes nurse and let then know how meds are effecting you.
Make a list if foods you like and if your favourites are high in carbs, look or ask on site what are good alternatives.
It hard work getting good control of diabetes but worth it, the sense of achievement is great.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Craftymoo1

Please do not look on this as a curse. I looked on my diagnosis as the kick in the bum I needed to do something about my weight and the unhealthy food I was eating. If you take the bull by the horns, learn how to control your blood sugars, read these forum threads, and ask questions, you won't see it as a curse. Just a challenge. :)

Craftymoo1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
meat and fish,I am incredibly fussy eater!
Thank you all,I was having a bad day but I'm happy
To report I'm in a much better place now. I'll take a look at the different recipes to find foods I do love. Yes I'm overweight but not massively and that is coming
Off slowly,I gained weight slowly
Over 2 years but that was mostly
For being inactive as I had a 17lb tumour so walking was difficult as you can imagine so the excess weight is coming off now. I am a very fussy eater and tended only
To eat a main evening meal a day which doesn't help but now I make sure I eat breakfast so I can take the metformin.
Anyway guys I really appreciate you taking the time out to reply to my question,I'm sure I'll have more in the future. Take care. Hugs

Reactions: 4 people