Type 1: Breakfast Dilemma

Jacquelineann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For three years now I have been having porridge for breakfast and reading my BS at the earliest two hours after eating. Only now do I realise that quite probably there is a time within that two hours that the sugar level spikes :-( So reluctantly I changed to a slice of toast with cheese and tomato. Took the relevant amount of insulin and in fact was a little worried about hypo as I had a long walk. Tested two hours afterwards and BS was 265 which is 14.71! So that's not going to work either. Can anyone tell me if I can find a way round this by maybe injecting half an hour before food? Taking more insulin isn't the answer as I have tried that and it results in a hypo. Failing that - what do other people eat for breakfast? It's my favourite meal of the day and I want something pretty low calorie, but healthy and available 365 days a year! Or...should I be eating less to avoid such a spike? However we are talking about 0.75 of an ounce of oats or one slice of toast...

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you actually tested to see if porridge is spiking you - maybe test every half hour after you start eating to see if it's as bad as you are thinking it is.

Yep, pre-blousing would probably be worth trying to avoid the spike from porridge, if you are getting one. I wouldn't start off with 30 minutes before though, experiment by bringing your injection forward 5 minutes at a time and see how that works.

Here's some information on pre blousing / things to think about to avoid spikes - http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.c...blood-glucose-management/strike-the-spike-ii/

Might be worth looking at ways to lower the GI of the porridge, so whole milk and proper oats. But I reckon pre blousing would be worth a try first to keep your favourite breakfast just as you like it :)

Reactions: 4 people

Jacquelineann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Than
Have you actually tested to see if porridge is spiking you - maybe test every half hour after you start eating to see if it's as bad as you are thinking it is.

Yep, pre-blousing would probably be worth trying to avoid the spike from porridge, if you are getting one. I wouldn't start off with 30 minutes before though, experiment by bringing your injection forward 5 minutes at a time and see how that works.

Here's some information on pre blousing / things to think about to avoid spikes - http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.c...blood-glucose-management/strike-the-spike-ii/

Might be worth looking at ways to lower the GI of the porridge, so whole milk and proper oats. But I reckon pre blousing would be worth a try first to keep your favourite breakfast just as you like it

Reactions: 2 people

Jacquelineann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Might be worth looking at ways to lower the GI of the porridge, so whole milk and proper oats. But I reckon pre blousing would be worth a try first to keep your favourite breakfast just as you like it :)
Thanks Catapillar - I shall have a look at that. Yes porridge is dong the same as the bread. I love oats aand they are so good for you so if there is a way I shall be delighted

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi @Jacquelineann

Much like yourself I enjoy my morning porridge and bolus around 20-25 mins before which keeps my bg levels in range, the article that @catapillar has linked to is a great read and explains about pre-bolusing to reduce postprandial spikes.

Just one thing, make sure you don't use the instant oats as they are known to spike bg levels, try and go for pinhead/rough-cut oats instead and maybe add some seeds & natural yogurt to the porridge as the fat helps slow down the digestion.

Jacquelineann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Jacquelineann

Much like yourself I enjoy my morning porridge and bolus around 20-25 mins before which keeps my bg levels in range, the article that @catapillar has linked to is a great read and explains about pre-bolusing to reduce postprandial spikes.

Just one thing, make sure you don't use the instant oats as they are known to spike bg levels, try and go for pinhead/rough-cut oats instead and maybe add some seeds & natural yogurt to the porridge as the fat helps slow down the digestion.
Great advice noblehead and thank you to both you and catapillar - have just read that article which is fascinating! Will get some better oats tomorrow

staffsmatt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Thanks for that article, it's really really interesting!

Jane!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Porridge used to spike me too ... I now halve the amount of oats ( just 15 grams) & make my porridge with almond milk & add Greek yoghurt ( or soya yogurt ), pumpkin & sunflower seeds , flaxseed, walnuts & a few raspberries . I bolus 45 mins before eating ( I have a libre so can see when the insulin is beginning to peak). No more spikes & only a very slight BG rise ( around 0.5 - 1.0).

Jacquelineann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Porridge used to spike me too ... I now halve the amount of oats ( just 15 grams) & make my porridge with almond milk & add Greek yoghurt ( or soya yogurt ), pumpkin & sunflower seeds , flaxseed, walnuts & a few raspberries . I bolus 45 mins before eating ( I have a libre so can see when the insulin is beginning to peak). No more spikes & only a very slight BG rise ( around 0.5 - 1.0).
and
And what a fabulous breakfast! Thank you so much. I have just tried the good heavy duty type of oats and same kind of quantity as you...0.75 of an ounce. We'll see what happens. I should maybe have taken insulin earlier but my BS was not high and I can't risk it going low as I have to teach in an hour. I love the idea of this Libre thing! never heard of it (but I am in the mountains of Spain). Thanks again

Just Jeff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Politics, Football.
Hello, I had a similar problem with porridge and swapped onto a yogurt based breakfast.
I now have:
150grm Skyr Icelandic Yogurt
Palm measured fresh Strawberries, Raspberries, Blackberries, and Red currents.
Topped off with a sprinkle of crushed Walnut & Brazil nuts, chia and flax seeds.

I find this keeps my BS nice and stable.
I have my breakfast at about 6:30am and then lunch at around 12:30.
Waking BS average 6.0
3 mile brisk walk to the station and office
Stairs to the 5th floor at the office
Water and tea for drinks, handful of nuts around 10:30ish
Before lunch BS average 5.4.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Jacquelineann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I had a similar problem with porridge and swapped onto a yogurt based breakfast.
I now have:
150grm Skyr Icelandic Yogurt
Palm measured fresh Strawberries, Raspberries, Blackberries, and Red currents.
Topped off with a sprinkle of crushed Walnut & Brazil nuts, chia and flax seeds.

I find this keeps my BS nice and stable.
I have my breakfast at about 6:30am and then lunch at around 12:30.
Waking BS average 6.0
3 mile brisk walk to the station and office
Stairs to the 5th floor at the office
Water and tea for drinks, handful of nuts around 10:30ish
Before lunch BS average 5.4.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app
Sounds great!I may try that!

Just Jeff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Politics, Football.
Sounds great!I may try that!
I really enjoy it, more than the porridge.
Contains a real taste sensation of sweet and sour, as well as having plenty goodness.
Protein from the yogurt and nuts. The seeds and red currents for good digestive health, blackberries work nice with the currants on the sour side and strawberries and raspberries for the sweet.