Does the heat make you feel ill

Lancelot J

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower, Broccoli. And loud, ignorant opinionated people.
I've lived in the Tropics for nearly 40 years and have learnt a few tricks dealing with the heat and humidity.
Just breathing we lose about a liter of water a day.
Our bodies constantly ooze water (regardless of temperature) so we only notice it when we sweat.
It's the drying of that sweat that produces the cooling affect.
When you are thirsty, it's too late!
Dehydration just sneaks up on you unnoticed!
And the results came be; weight loss (1 kilogram loss can mean one liter of water lost; higher than normal BG readings; headaches; 'fuzzy thinking', irritability and, of course, thirst.
To overcome problems drink plenty of cool (not cold) water (not tea, coffee or soft drinks- they have a diuretic effect making the problem worse). Try to avoid salty food. A little salt is fine but too much draws water from the body.
Drink small amounts (like a mouthful) constantly - sip,sip,sip is better than glug, glug, glug! It takes time to be absorbed and transferred across cells in the body.
If you're properly hydrated morning urine should be clear and copious! The darker it is, the more water you need.
If you want to see the difference adequate water makes try dropping some dried fruit in water

andyj61

Dislikes
not been able to sleep. being fat, not healthy, veins, too many to mention
I'm a red head very fair skinned so I hate the heat but being diabetic makes it worse. I mean anything above freezing is Sun bathing weather for me. At work I drink plenty of water but still feel ill. Plus big headaches too. Yeah I would love to be able to tan instead of burn. I've had sun stroke 3 times in my younger years but not anymore. I try to go out in the sun for short periods to get a bit of vitamin D but not to burn. Stay cool peeps!

Notwithstanding

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not being fit & healthy
I have no problems with the heat & sunshine. In fact, I spend hours sunbathing & on the beach. This includes Jersey & the Seychelles. I do not use any kind of protective cream. This may prove to have been a mistake, but no problems yet. I am a white male European, fair hair, blue eyes. I was brought up on the beach but did not tan a great deal until my early twenties. I now get very brown but do not burn ie. I do not go red & I don't peal. I am aware that I am not complying with the usual medical advice, but I am now 67 & have been diabetic for ten years now. I might be a bit complacent, but I really love lying in the sun !

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I intensely dislike the heat, and I can't bear sitting out in the sun. I'm very pale, and burn easily, so I just don't go out in it. I work in a office that has always been unbearably hot during the summer, and my colleague who feels the cold, always used to put the heating on full blast at the first sign of autumn. This year the powers that be ripped out the central heating system and air conditioning, and replaced it with an "ambient temperature system". For 3 months it has run at a very chilly temperature, and I couldn't be happier!