Where Can I Get A Meter And Some Test Strips?

MyNameIsAlex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello! I've moved to England 3 weeks ago and now I am living in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. I brought with me 2 meters and about 150 test strips but I am going to finish them soon so I will need new ones. My question is where can I get a meter and some test strips for free? I tried to buy test strips for my meters but I couldn't find here, in England because both of my meters use a different unit of measure (mg/dl). Also, I found pretty big prices for test strips (20 pounds for 50 tests). Cheers!

Reactions: 2 people
S

Shar67

Hi welcome, are you a student or have you moved here permanently to live and work?

S

Shar67

You should be entitled to free NHS treatment and prescriptions, you will need to sign up with a local GP ASAP.

Silvers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A GP - is a Doctor. A General Practitioner. You need to register for Care at your local GP surgery.
ASAP - means as soon as possible. Then you should be able to get what you need on prescription without having to pay

Reactions: 4 people

DumfriesDik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbs
As others have said, get registered with a local doctors surgery.

But if you can not wait, you could bung a few quid at buying a meter, they are usually quite cheap and you can get them from some chemists. Ask which testing strips the doctor would prescribe for and get that one.

Reactions: 3 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Most meter manufacturers will give Type 1 diabetics a free meter and the first set of strips. Have a look at their websites.

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You're going to find it hard getting stuff for mg/dl in the UK as you've noted, we use mmol/L here. I don't actually know what would happen if you use the strips from the UK with a meter for mg/dl, maybe it would work?

The best way to find out is to ring the telephone number of the manufacturer of your meter and ask if UK-bought strips would work with your mg/dl meter or not?

You should try to register with a local doctor in High Wycome, you can find them here http://www.nhs.uk/Service-Search/GP/LocationSearch/4

In the short-term, you could try and buy some strips from one of the European countries that use mg/dl rather than mmol/L. Germany is one of those countries and you won't have to pay any extra taxes as they're in the EU.

Have a look on Amazon.de for your meter's strips, for example https://www.amazon.de/Aviva-Accu-Ch...UTF8&qid=1471857542&sr=8-1&keywords=accu+chek

But I strongly suspect that UK-bought strips might work OK in your meter and will give results in mg/dl....

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
when you buy the codefree from homehealth you can choose either mmol/L or mg/dL meter I believe.