aliceleww

Hi everybody, I am very new to this website.
I'm 21 and studying to be a paediatric nurse. I am currently about to go in to my third and final year so the dreaded dissertation is fast approaching.

My mother had type 1 diabetes so it is something that I have grown up around and it is something that really interests me. I would love to write my dissertation on something regarding type 1 diabetes as I believe it would keep my interest for the year i'd be writing it.

As I am working with children and young adults, I thought that the psychological side of diabetes would be an interesting topic and I am interested in the links between diabetes and the prevalence of eating disorders.

Please does anybody have any ideas on good topic areas or could point me in the direction of any good research, I would be so grateful.

I have done a lot of research myself but I am guessing there is a lot of experts on diabetes on this website so your ideas and knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Alice

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Have a look in the type 1 section as there's a sub forum regarding eating disorders. There's also a children's/teens and parents section to have a look at as well.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Alice and welcome to the forum :)

I have done a lot of research myself but I am guessing there is a lot of experts on diabetes on this website so your ideas and knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

None of us are experts, we are just people who happen to live with the condition 24/7.

Your dissertation sounds like an excellent idea and I really wish you every success with it and your career choice. As for ideas, there's a charity that helps promotes awareness and campaigns on behalf of people with type 1 that you might want to contact to see if they can help in any way with your dissertation, it's the JDRF and here is a link to their website:

https://jdrf.org.uk/

Best wishes and good luck.

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
I know the site gets a bad name and it will be hard to include sources from it unless you make more meaningful connects but honestly look on tumblr. Search diabulimia, diabetes, ect. There is a thriving community on tumblr of young diabetics so if you approach them they may be willing to help you out :)

aliceleww

Hi Alice and welcome to the forum :)

None of us are experts, we are just people who happen to live with the condition 24/7.

Your dissertation sounds like an excellent idea and I really wish you every success with it and your career choice. As for ideas, there's a charity that helps promotes awareness and campaigns on behalf of people with type 1 that you might want to contact to see if they can help in any way with your dissertation, it's the JDRF and here is a link to their website:

https://jdrf.org.uk/

Best wishes and good luck.
Thank you for your reply, that is really helpful! I shall look into that.
And thank you for the support! I really appreciate it

aliceleww

I know the site gets a bad name and it will be hard to include sources from it unless you make more meaningful connects but honestly look on tumblr. Search diabulimia, diabetes, ect. There is a thriving community on tumblr of young diabetics so if you approach them they may be willing to help you out :)
That's a really good idea that I wouldn't have thought about, thank you! :)

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally, I think the topic of insulin-related eating disorders is very open-ended and deserves so much more discussion than it's currently getting.

Within that topic you have sub-topics like:
-Diabulimia
-Insulin abuse leading to obesity (the mindset that "I can eat whatever I want as long as I take insulin")
-Abuse of insulin in bodybuilding (some non-diabetic bodybuilders will actually take insulin injections to gain muscle more rapidly)
-Disorders specifically related to males (while many eating disorders are more likely to affect females that equates to very little research being done about how males are affected by them)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
And you will get a lot of persons not eating and not injecting anything to keep thin.

There is a huge big hole around diabulimia. I had a friend in an eating disorder unit and a girl in there was discharged from unit for not following rules and the unit did not know how to handle diabulimia.....

Its very tough for diabetics with eating disorders.

aliceleww

Personally, I think the topic of insulin-related eating disorders is very open-ended and deserves so much more discussion than it's currently getting.

Within that topic you have sub-topics like:
-Diabulimia
-Insulin abuse leading to obesity (the mindset that "I can eat whatever I want as long as I take insulin")
-Abuse of insulin in bodybuilding (some non-diabetic bodybuilders will actually take insulin injections to gain muscle more rapidly)
-Disorders specifically related to males (while many eating disorders are more likely to affect females that equates to very little research being done about how males are affected by them)
Do you think because its so open ended and discussed very little than it may be hard to write 10,000 words on?
I'm trying to think of a question that I can easily answer through my dissertation but I am struggle on which route to go down.
Thank you for the sub topics, there are things on there that i wouldn't of though of.

aliceleww

And you will get a lot of persons not eating and not injecting anything to keep thin.

There is a huge big hole around diabulimia. I had a friend in an eating disorder unit and a girl in there was discharged from unit for not following rules and the unit did not know how to handle diabulimia.....

Its very tough for diabetics with eating disorders.
It's awful isn't it. So much more needs to be done surrounding the subject

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
You may find this of interest, if it hasn't already turned up in your research.

In the 1970's, patients with anorexia nervosa were treated by giving them insulin injections prior to meals in the belief that it would stimulate their appetite so they would eat more. The patient would also be given a dose of chlorpromazine syrup for its antiemetic property.